• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Laser Recommendations

lumberjack

I own a tree service and am new to the dirt slinging for profit world. This week I'm buying a Kubota U35 excavator to use on job removing vine covered vegetation from behind a house and digging a pad into the hillside.

The pad is 24x24 with an 8" top soil cap, and the hill rises approximately 42" in those 24'. The down hill side of the pad is the existing retaining wall, which the finished grade should be below.

The easiest/most accurate way I can think of to handle this project is with a laser. I haven't been able to find a local rental source for lasers, so that leaves purchasing a laser system. I don't plan on getting into grading large flat surfaces, but ditches/footings/niche work is certainly on the table (interested in the almighty profit factor!) using mainly the excavator although I also have a tractor with pan and loader (NH3930 4wd) and compact wheel loader (Gehl AL340).

I know I want an auto/self leveling unit and dial in grade. There is no question about that. Given the relative small difference in cost (~20%<) and the added versitility (hopefully I'll actually utilize it), I think I want a dual slope laser.

Given the above, I'm looking at the Spectra GL422 for its reasonable accuracy(10arc seconds, 1/16"+/-@100') and working area (2600' diameter). I'm not sure what I use I would have with its remote.

I know I want 2 receivers to start with, with at least one to mount on equipment. I'm leaning towards the machine mounted receiver being the CR600, due to its large reception arc (270*) and the offset "on grade" point. I don't have a clear preference towards the rod mounted receiver, perhaps another cr600 although I could see a centered "on grade" point would be helpful.

Any advise? I'll likely be making the purchase this week. The exception being if I find a suitable rental/borrowing source for this little job.

Colorado Digger

there is a thread on this topic that may be helpful to you. you may have to dig a little bit, but i remember the same topici a while back

regards, cd