• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Laser questions

Jakebreak

Occupation
operator/pipelayer/mechanic
So I have been doing a little more side work than what I have done in years past. I have been thinking about buying a laser setup at work we use top con dual slope laser which I am familiar with. Most of my side jobs have been building roads and putting asphalt grindings down or some pads and horse arenas right now I just eye ball it and use my engineers ruler and monocular to make it work. So my question is what would be a good laser setup also if it’s possible to get some kind of grade indicator to go on a skip loader, a blade and a dozer. I rent the skip loaders so I was thinking if their was a way to make a mount that was magnetic to put on a skip loader that is removable and the same for the dozer and a blade any thoughts

FarmWrench

Occupation
Table Potato farmer
I have a Spectra (Trimble?) Has a magnet mount for the receiver. It's an ebay special and taken a lot of abuse.

Getting glitchy.

Jakebreak

Occupation
Have you been happy with the spectra laser is your mount used on an excavator or a box blade

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
A Topcon RL-H5A self leveling laser is a great tool for the price. We have 3 of them and have used them for years setting grade and laying pipe. You can buy a kit including tri-pod and grade rod for around $800.

Jakebreak

Occupation
Gotcha have you ever used it with a pole mounted to a skip loader or a box blade hooked to your track steer with a receiver to indicate grade as your working or am I getting a 2d system confused with a grade indicate system. I seen that you have gotten into the 3d systems how’s that been working for you so far. I’m trying to find something that will work so I can be a little more efficient
A Topcon RL-H5A self leveling laser is a great tool for the price. We have 3 of them and have used them for years setting grade and laying pipe. You can buy a kit including tri-pod and grade rod for around $800.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I haven't used our Topcon like that.

We have a Spectra GL622 dual slope with pole mounted receivers for our Cat box blade that works automatically wired up on 2 279D's. However that system cost around $15K a couple of years ago and worth every penny if you are doing a lot of slab and parking lot prep. Depending on the size of the base rock it can achieve 1/2" tolerance in finish grade very quickly on flat or single slope surfaces.

3D GPS is a game changer for a whole site solution, costly and worth the price IMO.

FarmWrench

Occupation
Table Potato farmer
Form farm use it's been ok. Receiver has taken a swim in a tile ditch a few times too many. I'm looking at something newer but not actually looking. The detector was small for a machine mount. Angle iron painted silver and then with headlight paint and an engineering scale painted on is what I use in hole. (It's always dark here in NY when I'm digging.)