• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Laser questions

pbean

seems like a good deal i have a dewalt and not happy at all and it is less accurate than that one for same price

Randy88

Buy from where you can get them fixed and the brand they have, anything is only as good as the guys that fix them,even if you have to pay a little more for service its the key.

Bigironjim

Occupation
Lard, wishes, manure, nails, bongo's, flyswatters,
The Apache and Bullseye receivers I have used worked on any laser rotating 600 rpm or faster.

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
Hey Timmy

I thought i would step up and give you my experience. I have a specta physics 1252 or something like that. They don't make it anymore, but it is a pretty good unit compared to what is available now. I use is pretty much every day, for survey work, and for grade control

Shop around and compare specs on many different units. You will find the range and accuracy vary greatly.

Depending on what you are doing range may be important. Drainage jobs need long range. That unit you are looking at is only has 1000' of range(the specs say 2000' DIAMETER) That isn't far when you get out on a tile or ditch project. For housing project work it may be fine. Depends what you are doing. And how often you want to move the laser.

Accuracy is critical too. Compare specs since i don't know these as well. But at long ranges a little bit of inaccuracy can get pretty big. And if you are trying to get to +-.05 you will find yourself in trouble.

The remote is nice so you can place the laser on an elevating tripod and raise it way up in the air, out of reach of your hands.

The slope graduations need to be fine. My minimum slope is .1% ( 1' in 1000') For drainage work, that can be a bit steep. Some ditches need to be flatter than that.

I haven't found a use for dual slope yet, but can imagine it might be good for setting the crown on a road, parking lot, runway. I imagine if you are using a grader with two receivers, the dual slope might be handy.

As far as recievers go, just about anything will do. The bigger the window the better. The bigger the magnets the better.

I have got really good service from my local topcon guy. They will get my next purchase. They handle all the service work too, so it's pretty handy.

tootalltimmy

Thanks for your thoughts watglen. I would probably use it mosly on small jobs like basements, pads. I am looking to buy something for this season. Laser Levels USA wants over $100 for shipping and handling for the Acculine above. Seems steep. With all the crap from China coming over, I think I will check out a local dealer.
3 year warranty is good but returns and service to the US would be a problem for me.

Last edited:

Camp8creston

Occupation
Civil Engineer
Hey Tim,

Yea, shipping here in the States from Laser Levels USA was only $25. I think Johnson Level has repair and service there in Canada, so that shouldn't be a problem.

SVTSHELBYGT500

Occupation
Excavating Contractor 30 + Yrs.
Bulleye Receivers Work Great. We Use Them On Dozers With Masts. Also Have Strong Magnetic Mast For Excavators. Get One With Angle Compensate Feature. Works great On Excavator Dip Stick.

tootalltimmy

I see this laser listed at a Pawn shop fairly near to me for $399. Its the full kit. Any thoughts on this model. Seems like it might be a good deal??
I might need to go for a drive.

Lasermark LM800 Rotary Laser. Says list price is $925.

Dual-Beam with Self-Leveling in Horizontal, Vertical, and Plumb!
LM800 is the ultimate designed dual beam, dual slope rotary laser with horizontal and vertical self-leveling and many features to make the instrument ideal for all indoor and outdoor jobs. The LM800 is ideal for outdoor leveling and grading jobs with dual-slope capability up to 10%.

Model
LM800
Accuracy
Horinzontal +/- 1/16-in @ 100-ft (+/- 1.6mm@30m)
Vertical +/- 1.8-in @ 100-ft (+/- 3mm30m)
Range
Up to 2800 ft (850m) diameter with laser detector
Warranty
3 years
Environment
Built for all-weather general construction needs (IPX7). Operating temperature 22 degree to 120 degree
Power
Ni-MH battery provides 12+/- hours

Last edited: