• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Laser Purchase Help

JDOFMEMI

OK thanks, I'll be looking for a unit I can put the slope in or just do it the way we have.

I just shoot one invert and then the other. Figure the fall from one the next, distance of pipe and calculate the slope. Divide the rise of the line by the length of pipe and it gives you the rise per joint of pipe. This is the reason I would like to have a bona fide slope laser, no moving the target on the stick every joint.

CM

You may already know this, but with a slope laser, what I would do is dial the slope in that is indicated on the plans, with the laser in line with the survey stakes. Set up on a hub, and set the tape to the cut indicated to FL. Then you should shoot "0" at FL. You can then check in at each survey hub, and you should read the same as the cut indicated. If not, there is a problem.

I once caught the surveyor with the slope staked to fall the wrong direction on a 42" concrete encased storm drain. It was to run under a mall, and they sure were glad I found it before the pipe went in.

It sure makes it easy to grade the trench bottom when everywhere you go "0" is grade for FL, and zero minus pipe thickness and bedding combined is subgrade, anywhere in the ditch.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
It sure makes it easy to grade the trench bottom when everywhere you go "0" is grade for FL, and zero minus pipe thickness and bedding combined is subgrade, anywhere in the ditch.

I agree that's why I'm looking at getting a slope laser. All I have now is a RL-H4C, which is a good laser but each joint has to be calculated.

Shimmy1

JNB

Occupation
Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
I agree. You can get a new RL-H4C package with cheap grade rod and tripod for less money.

Ya... $715 for the package with free shipping was a no-brainer for me.

tmc_31

Occupation
Sports Lighting Contractor
Hey John, hope you will post your impressions of the RL H4C unit when you get it. Does Topcon offer a remote read out for this system? I have looked at some the remote (in cab) read outs available and they seem pretty pricey.

I have a Dewalt DW073 that I bought from Lowes several years ago. It works pretty well but is a very poor cousin to the RL H4C. Range is only about 600' dia. and they claim an accuracy of only 1/4"-100'. Still I was able to use it when I cut the ditches for my septic drain field a few years ago. No problems to date with the drain field so I guess it did ok.

My use would be mostly on the skid steer so I think the in cab read out would be very handy. Looking for an inexpensive solution in case you happen to run across one:)

Tim

JNB

Occupation
Hey John, hope you will post your impressions of the RL H4C unit when you get it. Does Topcon offer a remote read out for this system? I have looked at some the remote (in cab) read outs available and they seem pretty pricey.

I have a Dewalt DW073 that I bought from Lowes several years ago. It works pretty well but is a very poor cousin to the RL H4C. Range is only about 600' dia. and they claim an accuracy of only 1/4"-100'. Still I was able to use it when I cut the ditches for my septic drain field a few years ago. No problems to date with the drain field so I guess it did ok.

My use would be mostly on the skid steer so I think the in cab read out would be very handy. Looking for an inexpensive solution in case you happen to run across one:)

Tim

I've had the RL-H4C for about a month now. I've used it on a few jobs, but I haven't had a chance to mess with the single slope setup yet. I'll be getting a machine receiver and fabbing removable masts for my ctl bucket and for the tractor's box blade. An easily readable receiver costs more than the laser itself, but I'm sure it will pay for itself pretty quickly.

Shimmy is correct on the remote. If you get a Topcon machine receiver like this http://www.tigersupplies.com/Products/Topcon-LS-B110W-Wireless-Remote-Display-Machine-Control-Laser-Receiver__TOP57137.aspx it is compatible with a remote display.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
JNB, I bought a Laser Horn a long time ago. Works well. http://www.lascolaser.com/magento/i...netic-mount-pole-for-receivers-laserhorn.html

I am going to replace my LL400 Spectre this Winter. I really have not been that pleased with its durability. I have a dual slope Topcon that is outstanding, but I don't like to bring it along if I don't need that capability. The 400 has slope matching but it is not that easy to use. I am trying to decide what to go with next time. I have had better luck with Topcon than Spectre but I have had three different Topcon's and only one Spectre, maybe the 400 is not that rugged.

JNB

Occupation
KSSS - Thank you for the link. The only thing I'd worry about with that mounting system is the stickiness of our clay. I respect your opinion so maybe you could give me your thoughts on it.

I've been thinking about fabbing one up like this http://www.laser-grade.com/bucketmount.htm but I'd have to weld a mount on each bucket.

BTW- I emailed you the pdf files on the hyd. hose.

hmearth

I got a Lieca rugby 410, 5 years ago invisible beam duel grade its a great laser that does long distance I use it on a regarler basices and it was a country mile cheaper than most other quality lasers out there.
A good quality laser will last for years and avoid green beam lasers.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
KSSS - Thank you for the link. The only thing I'd worry about with that mounting system is the stickiness of our clay. I respect your opinion so maybe you could give me your thoughts on it.

I've been thinking about fabbing one up like this http://www.laser-grade.com/bucketmount.htm but I'd have to weld a mount on each bucket.

BTW- I emailed you the pdf files on the hyd. hose.

Sorry about not seeing this. That system works well enough in loose granular material like 3/4 roadbase. Heavy clay may break the magnet bond on the bottom of stick.