• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Larson Harvesting

hvy 1ton

Round and round til the wheat's all gone. Altus, OK to Mud lake, ID.

I like shiny things, even if they are red.
IMAG0094.jpg
So many buttons, can i push the red one?
IMAG0007.jpg
I might actually have to read this thing. The phone books of the places we cut are smaller.
IMAG0009.jpg
The view from the office. Normally cruising along 3-6 mph, but i'm not good enough to take pics on the go.
IMAG0088.jpg
Field was so rough the one key ring fell off the other.
IMAG0021.jpg

hvy 1ton

One of the great lies of the world; Harvesters only cut big, flat, square fields.
IMAG0040.jpg
No field too small for 2 35' heads.
IMAG0041.jpg
Chugging along.
IMAG0042.jpg
Can't be leaving turn rows. They'd be half the field.
IMAG0043.jpg
I swear i only looked away for a second.
IMAG0044.jpg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Hvy, fill me in a little on the operation as I don't no much about large farming operations. I know that you guys are harvesting, what I would like to know is more of the business side of it. Do the farmers hire you guys to just harvest? Do they plant their own fields or hire that out too? Obviously you guys travel a lot.

Nice pics.

hvy 1ton

Most of the farmers we cut for only hire out harvesting and some chemical application. There are a few that have it custom farmed from seeding all the way to harvesting. My boss does some custom seeding and planting back home, but we don't travel like we do for harvesting. Besides cutting wheat, the only other custom farmers that i know travel are silage cutters and straw balers. And the straw balers follow us. Anything else you wanna know CM?

North Texan

Chemical application equipment and combines aren't used for farming wheat but maybe two weeks out of the year apiece. It just simply isn't feasible to own a piece of equipment that spends almost 50 weeks a year in the shed. The windows for spraying and harvesting are only about 2 weeks out of the year apiece. It would be different if a person farmed multiple crops. Farmers in some areas can grow wheat, corn, milo, and soybeans. Corn, milo, and soybeans require more attention than wheat, so the sprayer sees a good bit more use. The harvest on all of those crops can also fall at different times, and some have a wider harvest window than wheat, so the farmer can get a couple months use of the combine, not just a couple weeks. In those circumstances, a person might be able to justify keeping a sprayer or a combine. Otherwise, those two types of equipment depreciate too fast and cost too much to maintain to justify even a fairly cheap used machine.

A tractor, plow, and drill is a different story. A tractor on that same wheat acreage is going to see several months use. Mine will have seen use on my wheat ground from May to October this year. Also, those types of used equipment have few moving parts, so buying a used one isn't really a problem. Lots of good tractors out there with 10,000+ hours on them and still going strong. I used to run one of my uncles that had nearly 24,000 hours on it when he sold it.

Another benefit to hiring chemical application and harvesting done is technology. A new machine will really clean the wheat, and it will put almost all of it in the bin. The older and more used a machine gets, the more it loses. Plus it is harder to get the machine set right and there are fewer instruments to help guide the adjustments. Often times buying an older combine and cutting wheat looks cheaper on paper. But when you figure up what you are losing out the back that should be going in the bin, it isn't. Same with spraying. Chemicals and fertilizer are very expensive. A nozzle putting out too much here or there, or a little overlap here or there can get expensive in a hurry. A custom applicator with everything working correctly and a good GPS unit can often completely offset the expense of the application simply through efficiency.

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
where you off to now hvy, i would like a reply with some more pics please.

hvy 1ton

I made it from Pine Buffs to Casper before number 8 had ecm issues and we had to unload a combine on the side of I-25. No WiFi so can't upload more pics right now.

Last edited:

hvy 1ton

3rd or 4th attempt to cut this field. Hell of a commute each time the county road cut through a 10,000 acre open range pasture.
IMAG0053.jpg
Don't let the clouds fool you, it never rains in Ashland.
IMAG0054.jpg
Every 5th post had been caught by the drill.
IMAG0056.jpg
8120 cutting the flat-er parts and 7088 cutting out terraces.
IMAG0057.jpg
Kansas farmers are the kings of farmable terraces.
IMAG0060.jpg

hvy 1ton

Trucks couldn't make it across this draw. Not the furthest i've roaded to load trucks, but definitely the most exciting.
IMAG0063.jpg

IMAG0064.jpg

IMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0067.jpg

hvy 1ton

Some where in the 15-18K range for wheat. We're at 9K acres of wheat cut so far this year and i don't think we'll make it much past 13K. Our last stop is in Mud lake, ID. We cut irrigated wheat and barley from Aug 1 to Sept 15 and head back to KS for fall harvest.

Haddy

Occupation
earthmoving contractor
Thankyou for sharing your photos as I still like to see the harvesting . I came to the US in 2000 and helped harvest wheat from Enid OK in the South to just South of the Canadian border in ND . Really enjoyed it .

Last edited:

Richardjw~

how do you like the Cursor motor in your Magnum?.....do you find it better on diesel, better power band and quiter than the old Cummins 9 litre?

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
in all your travels your probably seeing first hand the drought conditions everyone is talking about, i know its really dry here, north east wyo, about 200 miles north of casper. were used to it this time of year in this part of wyo, if its not irrigated its brown. when the water trucks water the roads at work, the wildlife follow right behind it, birds, coyotes, foxs and other smaller animals, a guy could follow behind the water truck with a gun and a 12 pack and have some fun.

Last edited:

Haddy

Occupation
earthmoving contractor
a guy could follow behind the water truck with a gun and a 12 pack and have some fun.[/QUOTE]

I like that !!!!!!!!

DutchCanadian

Any chance you are looking for help?

Some where in the 15-18K range for wheat. We're at 9K acres of wheat cut so far this year and i don't think we'll make it much past 13K. Our last stop is in Mud lake, ID. We cut irrigated wheat and barley from Aug 1 to Sept 15 and head back to KS for fall harvest.

I'm in my mid 30's, currently based out of Idaho.

Grew up on a potato farm. I do not have a CDL anymore, lost it for medical reasons.

Cheers, 208 577 8338

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
When you get Idaho, welcome. I think I have seen your guys pickups in Idaho Falls in years past.