1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

larger dozer visibility graphic example

Discussion in 'Safety Issues' started by skyking1, Mar 28, 2021.

1. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

I was working a D8T a few years back, mostly working a fill for a few haul trucks. I took some pictures to explain the truly limited forward visibility on those machines. They have been used in other company safety programs. Feel free to use them.
    My diesel beetle in front of the blade.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

my view from the normal seated position.
    [​IMG]
    Leaning hard one way and the other.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

in the last picture, you can see the barest sliver of the back hatch window. That's it.
    A person straight ahead is a dead one. After I showed and explained this to the dirt squeeze, he always crossed behind me.

hosspuller, DMiller, 56wrench and 4 others like this.
  2. Nige

Nige Senior Member

I once came across a D8L in the middle of the night parked on a dump with the engine running and all the lights on.
    No operator in the cab, when I looked I found him curled up asleep in front of the (grounded) blade.
    Just for sh1ts & giggles I jumped up and pulled the throttle control from Low to High Idle RPM. A split-second later he shot out of his resting place like a rat up a drainpipe.... :eek::eek:

3. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

you'd have ended up spitting teeth if that was me :D

56wrench likes this.
  4. Bls repair

Bls repair Senior Member

Equipment operator,mechanic
    What I do is blow the horn and twist left and right to see in front of dozer if I stop and sit for awhile in a busy area.

5. doublewide

doublewide Senior Member

Just curious, what were you doing in the dump in the middle of the night?

DMiller and 56wrench like this.
  6. 56wrench

56wrench Senior Member

reminds me of the time i was working deep inside a massey 760 combine at the front of the strawwalkers. one of the other mechanics in the shop just for giggles, hit the engine starter and i shredded a pair of coveralls on the serrated edges trying to get out of there. by the time i got out, there was nobody in sight.:mad:i was mad for the rest of the day. never did find out who it was. i can chuckle about it 40 years later but it wasn't funny at the time

DMiller and skyking1 like this.
  7. mks

mks Well-Known Member

None currently
    I would suspect he recognized a teaching opportunity.

DMiller likes this.
  8. LincsAgritech

LincsAgritech New Member

Some good photos.

I like how the profile of the beetle fits within the blade outline perfectly. You need to get a buggy whip:)

DMiller likes this.