• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Large backhoe $50k or less with the fewest emissions problems. What years should I be looking at?

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
And you forgot...it will have brand new BF Goodrich all terrain tires on it...LOL. I have seen that many times honestly.
They also put a bunch of characters (picture text) in the text sometimes.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Looks like it's got everything on your list of wants.

Might ask or look to see if there are signs of cylinder repair. I don't know if cylinders have a life expectancy on seals.

Compression-Ignition

I'm not taking any money with me. I'll just be inspecting the machine. We won't truly come to a deal until I figure out the transportation end.

I suppose it could be a scam, but I don't know what you get out of having a guy come out to your property to try your machine out? Guy says he bought it about 8 months ago, but was recently in a bad car wreck that changed all of his priorities. Says he's the 2nd owner.

Compression-Ignition

Any tips on what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

I was just going to check everything for function.
Watch for any sloppiness.
Look for any leaks.
Look for anything freshly painted.

I am not a mechanic, but will do all the maintenance I'm able to do. It's about a 3 hour drive I was planning on leaving about 4am and then spend an hour or so with the backhoe (whatever it takes really). This trip to Colorado isn't about the machine, but if I can kill 2 birds with one stone all the better.

Maybe I'll see if my cousin or uncle can spare the time to ride up and look at it with me. They are cattle ranchers and have tons of equipment experience. I kinda doubt they know much more about backhoes than I do, but an extra set of eyes wouldn't hurt. They're busy guys though.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
I suppose it could be a scam, but I don't know what you get out of having a guy come out to your property to try your machine out?

I personally doubt it is a scam if you talked to him. The scammers usually just want you to wire them money. I say proceed with caution. If you get there and he looks fine (like he wasn't banged up in an accident), then I might think twice about it. As I said previously, most of my craigslist dealings were awesome!

JBrady

Good luck with the machine, it looks really nice. A former forest service machine could be a plus or a detriment. If it was used in fire service, I'd be cautious. Sometimes, they are just building fire breaks, but other times they are right out there in the fire.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I bought a 590 SN from a CAT dealer in Mn. four years ago. I had the CASE dealer go there and go over the machine. Cost me $500 but it gave me confidence that I wasn't buying a problem machine. Come to find out Titan had pissed off the customer and he traded his 5-590's in for CAT, the machine was fine, their relationship was not. The 590 SN was a great machine, I fixed a couple small hoses but other than that it was ready for work. and I put 2K hours on it without issue before I sold it (mistake on my part). The moral of the story it may be worth having Deere come and go through it before you write the check. Your not that familiar with Deere's backhoe and things you should look at, you should probably hire someone to help you. Your getting the machine at a decent number anyway, it would be worth the extra money, at least to me it would.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
I bought a 590 SN from a CAT dealer in Mn. four years ago. I had the CASE dealer go there and go over the machine. Cost me $500 but it gave me confidence that I wasn't buying a problem machine. Come to find out Titan had pissed off the customer and he traded his 5-590's in for CAT, the machine was fine, their relationship was not. The 590 SN was a great machine, I fixed a couple small hoses but other than that it was ready for work. and I put 2K hours on it without issue before I sold it (mistake on my part). The moral of the story it may be worth having Deere come and go through it before you write the check. Your not that familiar with Deere's backhoe and things you should look at, you should probably hire someone to help you. Your getting the machine at a decent number anyway, it would be worth the extra money, at least to me it would.
Probably the best advice ever for something this expensive and far away.

Compression-Ignition

I think you're right. I just setup an inspection through a local John Deere dealer. Most of the charge will be drive time as it's roughly an hour each way, but like you said, worth it. The field service coordinator looked at the ad while we spoke on the phone and said it looked fairly priced.

aighead

I doubt it's a scam either for the reasons mentioned above, I just wanted to throw out a word of caution, especially with big bucks like that. Good luck, I hope it turns out to be the machine it looks like!

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
My Case 580 Super N last September was a low hour machine with a few flaws in the paint job, worn out bolt on cutting edge, & a rear tire was cut.
It was a used car dealer & he talked of another bigger lot nearby where he sold used cars & construction machinery. It isn't uncommon to see this sort of machine bought by companies with numerous machines & used mostly as a loader. Back bucket, like all Case machines was rusty, showing zero wear. Teeth were old but scratch free.
The lot was too small to move around much at all. It was beside a busy highway. I wasn't aware it wouldn't go into 1st gear.
I got home, unloaded it from the trailer & codes started to flash!
The Case dealer is a few miles from the used car dealer I bought it from. They were all too familiar with the sleazy car dealer who sold it to me.
ALL issues are electrical or computer. Alarms are fuel water sensor fail. Not water, but sensor fail.
Fuel gauge sending unit in tank drops out of the circuit frequently.
Engine service needs attention. Despite servicing the engine twice since September, I haven't figured out how to reset it.
Case dealer used it as a go cart 15 days, said it wouldn't go into first gear at first, but the problem solved itself with use.
All the alarms, it is unnerving! Just received the back ordered parts.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Slightly off topic, but as far as Craigslist deals go, if I have ANY suspicions I will only meet the seller in a very public place.
And I always open carry.
Crossing state lines, that might not be the best plan.
Sellers want your dollars, I've never had one want to rape me. I can't say I've ever felt threatened by a seller. Some do want to cheat me.

Seth & I drove, I remember it as 11 hours round trip to buy a Case 580 Super M. To understate, the advertisement was deceptive.
It did have both front & rear buckets NEW.
It looked to have a bit of rust. It proved to be a total rust out, more tape & paint than steel. The floor in the cab was completely gone, I could see the ground.
It was on the charger when we arrived, but wouldn't start.
It had NO brakes. The seller assured me "No backhoe has brakes."
I insisted on taking it outdoors, he resisted, then played deaf. I opened the doors & drove it out scaring myself half to death, no brakes & no hydraulic function.
This hog was as near useless as I'd have thought possible!
Always up for a project, I offered $16,000. he countered with $22,000.
I drove home disappointed, but I hadn't driven the big truck & trailer all that way.

It turns out the seller had numerous first names, dozens of tractors to sell in similar condition. On the phone he is always the same French Canadian voice, photos ALWAYS same location. He's very near the Canadian border in ?Malone? NY. A total sleaze ball.

Compression-Ignition

Here's another, less hours but doesn't look as nice. https://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucitsrh/?sl=A1QSCI22096701
13 bids to $42K with 10 days left. It's closer though.
Joe H
That looks good too, but less of a sure thing. 13 bidders....somebody is going to want it more than me and then I might miss out on this other deal.

Our of curiosity, what do they mean "switched to CAT hydraulics". Are they referring to the actual hydraulic system or the pattern/controls, ISO vs. SAE.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Newer machines with pilot controls usually have aa switch to go ISO or SAE control pattern. Cat machines ALL have ISO control pattern. If pattern changer equipped, no issue.
Many operators are accustomed to one pattern & prefer it. Difference is boom & dipper switch hands. I CAN run ISO, but am more comfortable with SAE. Those who cut their teeth on CAT equipment like ISO.
I drive my wife's car, she is amused at me unconsciously reaching for the transmission control lever at the wheel, hers is on the console.

Either pattern wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but I would avoid any variation of the three lever/foot swing control still being used on some Case machines. There are a few old operators still choosing it. I bought one used & just couldn't get used to it. I converted it to joystick control & used it 14 years.

Squire

If you will not move it after it is delivered, you want a BIG tractor. Only excuse for a little tractor is you can't move it with a small truck or trailer.
I've had a John Deere 410, Case 580K, Case 580K in cream puff condition, JD 410C, & now 2014 Case 580 Super N. The newest is nicest, & if I were totally deaf, I'd love it. It's old enough to be pre DEF, but not old enough to be pre computer. It screams at me for everything! It alarms because the fuel sensor inside the tank isn't always right, move suddenly it loses signal. The seat must be latched, but not always. A water at fuel filter sensor alarms constantly, sensor is bad. These parts have been on back order since September.
I had a recurring service alarm, I bought an on line operator's manual to learn how to reset that. It has had two engine oil & filter changes since September, but the computer needs to be told.
Parking brake alarm is constant. It alarms if the brake isn't set, it alarms when the brake is set. Sometimes it alarms seemingly without reason.
Also, when I bought it it was a problem getting into first gear. Dear God! the alarms from that! It lived at the dealer more than two weeks, they used it as a wheelbarrow, assured me that was resolved. Now it shifts, but occasionally alarms anyway.

Each machine will have its qualities, and weak points. I rate condition as most critical. Older John Deere are smoothest with back hoe operation, but I've not had a good experience with parts availability. I owned my first JD when the internet wasn't much, & people who understand early JD hydraulics are few.

Finca SDR

He's asking $59,500. I've seen older and much lesser machines listed for more in my area. If it'll keep I think I'm going to pay his asking price as long as it looks and runs good when I get there.

Maybe I don't need to be chiming in here but can't you find a good hoe for less than 60k? I know I got a couple old hoes, a 97 and a 2000 for under 30k for the two of them together (not at the same time). And they run, sometimes they break, but usually not and they seem to be easier and cheaper to fix than the newer ones. Just weld them up and keep going.

And new hoes break too! And it seems like they're more expensive to fix. I watch my colleagues having a tough time with that.

Anyways been watching this thread for a while and couldn't resist asking the question any longer.

Squire

A case is a great machine, but hoe hydraulics are very jerky.
Never owned a Cat, but they are HEAVY to be hauled behind smaller trucks.[/QUOTE]
I can attest to the jerkiness of their BH bucket movements. Figured it was due to en longed pin hole usage & poor maintenance. She was a rental that was well kept but used hard you would think