1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Large backhoe $50k or less with the fewest emissions problems. What years should I be looking at?

Discussion in 'Tractor/Loader/Backhoes' started by Compression-Ignition, Jan 21, 2022.

1. Compression-Ignition

Compression-Ignition Well-Known Member

I have wondered if I might end up needing to use a winch to help get these trees to go the right way. I had not thought very much about dead trees. I mean I'd given it a little thought, but not much in the safety realm. Thanks for the heads up, I will keep that in mind.

2. T-town

T-town Senior Member

retired !
    I've been dropping live and dead the same way... cut thru roots on the opposite side of fall direction, and then reach up and push with the hoe. I do have a fully enclosed cab... and would not do it without. Also, I wear a hard hat and safety glasses inside.
    The only issue I've had is trying to get the machine in the right spot.
    Much easier on the machine as compared to dropping the tree with a saw then plugging away on the rootball. Though, my trees are all 12 to 18"......or smaller. Have yet to try this on a big one.

I did have the property logged at the beginning of my project.... and clear cut on those areas I needed opened up. Then payed a guy to show up with his big dozer and he popped those stumps out as easy as digging potatoes.
    Takes quite a bit of time and a lot of digging to get a stump out from a big tree thats been cut.... lot to said for the lever action of the tree itself..... and of course,.... "gravity works".
    Species of tree can also play a part.... mass of root stock etc.

3. AzIron

AzIron Senior Member

A quick look thru machinery trader shows some jd 710 d and g series in or below you budget that's the biggest backhoe you could get so if that wouldn't fit tour needs nothing in the backhoe real would

4. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Electrician
  5. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

I read some of the posts, I have a general idea of your requirements (read that in the Judge Wopner voice)
    First, Cab YES YES YES!
    Second, Do not get a horking big backhoe because trees. Somebody mentioned rent an excavator a month.
    Rent a big enough one for a week and a guy who knows what to do with it, and he could lay down, stump and deck a ton of your property. Then you can deal with logs or whatever with any decent hoe.
    Now let's say you have a tree or two that need to go, long after the excavator is gone. Fall it or pay a feller, and dig out the stump with your hoe. A regular backhoe will dig out a big arsed stump and you said you had time. Don't think a big backhoe will keep you on this earth if a widowmaker has other plans for you.

Spud_Monkey, aighead and NH575E like this.
  6. Compression-Ignition

Not a single one with a 4 in 1 bucket though.

I can't stretch the budget that high in the time frame I have.

The big backhoe has nothing to do with a tree falling on me. I just want it to have enough ass to do what I need it to do. I also want a ton of reach so I don't have to move the machine as much.

The plan is to not pay anyone to do much of anything out there. I care for and homeschool our children during the day. Every evening for the next oh I don't know....forever, I'll be working on the property.

aighead likes this.
  7. Clawed Backster

Clawed Backster Senior Member

I, for one, can certainly understand your desire for a large backhoe to deal with trees.
    I primarily use my Ford 555 for cutting firewood, and it seems very small and wimpy at times.
    I fantasize about a 710G, as I believe the size would fit my needs (but not my budget) much better. And no, it's not because my machine is old and well worn. It is just too small and light to deal effectively with large trees.
    I do have a hydraulic thumb on mine, and I can't even imagine trying to deal with trees without one.
    My $.02 on the matter.

NH575E and Compression-Ignition like this.
  8. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Electrician
    Full sized backhoes are bought new by contractors, and rental companies. It's pretty rare it is their primary machine.
    When they are sold, it's sometimes land owners who buy. I'm of the opinion that the only reason to go smaller with these machines is hauling it. Lots of people haul them behind a Ford 550 sized truck & don't want a 710 sized machine for that reason. The big ones seem to sell cheaper than smaller in the used market.

9. Compression-Ignition

Needs tires and it's leaking some.

https://catused.cat.com/en/construc...0-e/d31c0746-26cc-439c-bc13-da2873ec79f6.html
    DETAILS
    Accessories
    RIDE CONTROL
    Additional Information BATTERY, HEAVY DUTY
    ANTIFREEZE, -50C (-58F)
    BUCKET, MP 1.3 CYD
    COUNTERWEIGHT, 1075 LBS
    S/N 000010051142
    PARTS BOOK, PAPER
    MANUALS, ENGLISH
    ENG S/N C4E07550
    BELT, SEAT, 2" SUSPENSION
    TIRES 4WD COMBINATION MI/FS
    LINES, COMBINED AUX, E-STICK
    PINS, SPARE
    S/N 7LW04926
    INSTRUCTIONS, ANSI
    S/N DJ10052327
    BUCKET, 48" 13.0 CFT DC
    THUMB, HYDRAULIC ARR, W/O TINE
    DOMESTIC TRUCK
    THUMB, TINE, A 3
    STABILIZER PADS,FLIP W/GUARD
    E-STICK
    POWERTRAIN,93 HP,4WD,STD SHIFT
    HYDRAULICS, BH, 6 FUNCTION
    HEATER, ENGINE COOLANT, 120V
    CAB, DELUXE W/AC
    https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/Ca...mYWM4YzQ4MTA0YzM0NDJkZTBlMSYkdHh0PSUyMCY4ODM=
    https://www.ncmachinery.com/cat_used_equipments/1332337

10. Compression-Ignition

Looks just about perfect! Anyone want to give me their opinion?

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/hvo/d/lake-george-2009-john-deere-410j-4x4/7462075619.html

I just called and left the guy a message. I'll be down Colorado next week visiting family a few hours south of there and I could swing by and give this thing a once over. It's a ways away, and I'm sure it'd cost me $4000 + to have it shipped up here, but this might be the deal I been waiting for. Are my eyes glazed over, or should I jump on this?!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. aighead

aighead Senior Member

That's a pretty machine! I'm assuming decent price for it too? And pre-emission? Woo!

Compression-Ignition likes this.
  12. Compression-Ignition

He's asking $59,500. I've seen older and much lesser machines listed for more in my area. If it'll keep I think I'm going to pay his asking price as long as it looks and runs good when I get there.

13. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Electrician
    Step back & think.
    As an example, my Case has 1/2 the hours, 5 years newer, I paid 55.
    I'd pay $4000 for the thumb.

14. Steve Favia

Steve Favia Well-Known Member

Retired local 150 Operating Engineer
    That looks really nice!

15. Legdoc

Legdoc Senior Member

CASE 580M no electronics or emission BS. Typical crap paint on all gray areas.

16. jimg984

jimg984 Senior Member

LOTS OF SMOKE LOL

17. jimg984

jimg984 Senior Member

[​IMG]

18. aighead

aighead Senior Member

I don't know if Craigslist is the same where you are but I was amazed at the amount of what seemed to be scammers of some variety trying to sell fake backhoes. Hopefully, you've actually reached a real person and if you are meeting them somewhere you don't take any real money to that meeting. That's a lot of money for a pretty nice machine.

On a kind of similar note my FIL just bought Ohio George's Case backhoe, with 400ish hours on it, for 18k! It's very clean and looks like it could be flipped for at least double that.

19. Swetz

Swetz Senior Member

Electric & Gas Company
    My New Holland 675E was a craigslist find. You just have to be careful. The real scams are priced so low that it is literally too good to be true. I paid the seller with a cashiers check just before the hauler put it on the trailer. I got a bill of sale, and the owner had the original purchase receipt from the dealer, that he gave me.

T-town, Clawed Backster and aighead like this.
  20. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Electrician
    Scams are a single photo of a near new machine. Photo is of a Case 580 Super N. Text will say Case 580. Typically there will be errors in grammar used. They show & describe a 5 year old machine with 500 hours on it for $20,000.
    Seller is always 500 miles away from where the machine is located.

aighead likes this.