• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Laplant choate scraper

Picked up a old pull scraper. Had to cut the tree out of it brought it home and it sat out back for years now. My boy and I decided to hook it up to one of the versitial 4wd tractor this week to see if it even works. I'm guessing its 3yard or so. Can make out the laplant choate but not sure the rest of the lettering. Only one cylinder to load and dump. After 3 loads we agreed it works but we have to re pack the cylinder. Any one know much about these things. Boy was wondering what color they were. Were many made?

Reactions: DB2

Delmer

Looks pretty similar to the other scrapers of that era, like the Gar Wood, probably others. I'd say they were well thought out and pretty well built for what they had available.

They're not exceedingly rare. I'd guess it's prewar, so there's not as much equipment from that era that was built as after the war, and not as much survives either.

Are you familiar with that style of hydraulic cylinder? it was built for much lower pressure than modern tractors, so be careful, or plumb in a relief valve, or? You might try tightening the gland nut, the vee packing is probably falling apart though, and you might even be able to replace the vee packing without removing the whole top of the cylinder, just remove the adjusting nut, dig the old seals out and wrap in the new one if they're split.

V packing is good actually. Piston is bypassing and has a copper ring between barrel and gland that wasn't sealing very well. Figured it was 600psi or so. Might look at hyd surplus to see if there's a new style cylinders out there. This barrel has been welded a few times. Paid $75 for the old girl.

Delmer

Nice buy, I think it will work fine for you. Good thinking on the cylinder, save the old one for whoever wants to restore it down the road, and put a new one on that will handle the pressure.