• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Landslide

Electra_Glide

What happens when you try and build a Wal-Mart supercenter into the side of a small mountain:

http://www.wpxi.com/news/9890742/detail.html

Make sure to check of the "Photos from the scene" link. That's a lot of dirt...I wonder if they'd hire me to bring down my little S175 and 1-ton to clean it up...:wink2

This is the 2nd time a lansdlide has occurred on this site and closed the highway in the last 5 months...:eek:

Joe

Last edited:

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
A couple of pictures I pirated from KDKA TV's site. Link to their coverage, with video available, here: http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_263062613.html

To give an idea of the original topo, the third pic is from Google Earth. I tried to match it to the second pic, from the news chopper. It looks as if much of the fill they placed at the far end of the site, (from the point of view of the pictures), has slid onto the highway. Note the first pic--you can see the cracks on the top of the fill as it moves toward the highway. The slide appears to be roughly where the "65" is on the Goolge Earth pic.

My recollection, from passing that way numerous times, is that the material overlooking the highway was rock. I'm assuming they borrowed from higher on the site and filled near the edge adjacent to the highway to create more flat area. It's hard to imagine what might have caused this. :confused:

Attachments

• WMslide2.jpg
    WMslide2.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 930
  • WMslide1.jpg
    WMslide1.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 926
  • walmartslide.jpg
    walmartslide.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 928

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
We all know what caused it. People working on jobs that are over there head. Shows what can happen when someone gets greedy.
Just glad no one got hurt. Now if they could just make them pay for there mistake.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
We all know what caused it. People working on jobs that are over there head.

What I meant was, what's the underlying physical cause? I'm not sure how much material was involved--on the news one of the talking heads said 500 million yards. Obviously that's typical media "screw up the facts" reporting. Half a million I could see.

Thing is, you don't get to play in that league unless you have some equipment, and some experience. And that size job doesn't come without an engineer desgning it, and somebody inspecting the work. I can't imagine they just decided to push it over the edge with a dozer and got surprised when it slid away--something has to have been mis-engineered, just plain missed, or cheated on.

norrodbh

Joe, I'll join you with my little 1-ton and S-175 :)

All that blasting they did back in April. That's nothing but shale over there, and now it's like sand ! It's all going to come down.

Now they are saying weeks to clear and my wife is livid. She has to travel that route quite often.

I saw CSX had their own equipment out to clear their tracks. The slide blocked their mainline to Chicago.

I have a few customers in that area looking for fill. Now's their chance !

xkvator

Somebody's gonna be filing bankruptcy...:yup

looking at the pic on the Triblive.com...there's a piece of equip at the top edge, right next to the slide...seems like a dangerous place to be.

I sometimes think about the amount of site prep for these stores...right now they're working 24/7 in North Huntington for a new Walmart...gonna take 6 months.
residents are complaining about the backup alarm noise all night.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I just watched the latest coverage on TV. It looks like it hasn't stopped moving yet. You gotta wonder whether any of the fill they placed was done right. :confused:

You guys from outside western PA probably don't get a real good idea of how big a mess this is.... :eek2

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Uh, I don't know. I think you guys should be thinking more in terms of a 5-ton...

:wink2

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Eclusively on HEF!

Some pictures of the landslide. Don Lang (charter member but infrequent poster here), and I flew over the site in his airplane on Tuesday evening, (9/26). There was quite a bit of progress cleaning up the highway by then, but the slide area is still apparent. I've outlined it in yellow in the first shot. The black lines indicate roughly where the road was/is supposed to go to get up to the top. You can see the green areas north and south of the slide. That's the slope on the high side of the access road. I believe that was seeded, and used to be continuous from one end to the other--that gives a good idea of the length of the slide.

(I apologize for the quality of the pictures--it was just about dusk, and the light could've been better. I tried some zoomed shots but they all came out blurry.)

Attachments

• P9260217 (Small)notated.JPG
    P9260217 (Small)notated.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 777
  • P9260204 (Small).JPG
    P9260204 (Small).JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 773
  • P9260208 (Small).JPG
    P9260208 (Small).JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 779
  • P9260210 (Small).JPG
    P9260210 (Small).JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 761
  • P9260221 (Small).JPG
    P9260221 (Small).JPG
    41 KB · Views: 778

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
One more from the river side, a little closer in. And just because I like it, a shot of downtown Pittsburgh

Attachments

• P9260227 (Small).JPG
    P9260227 (Small).JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 765
  • P9260235 (Small).JPG
    P9260235 (Small).JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 763

Electra_Glide

Cool pictures digger!!!

I was in the neighborhood, and since the road is open now, I did a quick drive-by and snaped these pictures as I was headin' down the road. This gives you a pretty good idea of how far underground the road was.

They had some big iron up there. Saw a couple of D10s and a 385.

Attachments

• IMG_1685.JPG
    IMG_1685.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 736
  • IMG_1686.JPG
    IMG_1686.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 732

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
Good to see that the company in charge made good on their promise to hussle and get that road open again. I was watching some of the videos in some of your links and it looks like there had to be 20+ ADT's there as well as the 385 and a 375 and who knows how many 45-ton Cat's and Deere's.

I missed who the contractor was on this job though, did anyone else catch that?

Electra_Glide

JimBruce42 said:
I missed who the contractor was on this job though, did anyone else catch that?

The site contractor was (is) "Penn Development". I forget who the developer was. I think it was something like "ASC Development".

It ends up that a friend of mine who works for the local Operating Engineers recently hired-on with them. He was telling me that they basically gave all the operators a "blank check" that they could work as many hours as they could stand until the cleanup was complete. They were going 24x7 for about a week-and-a-half. He didn't sign upsince they were keeping him pretty busy on another job, but he said there were some guys who would do their regular shift, then head down there to work a double.

However, now that the cleanup is pretty much complete, it looks like most of the work has stopped.

Joe