• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lamtrac LTR6140T?

ReligiouslyCAT

Hello,

I'm curious if anyone has used the Lamtrac LTR6140T 'CTL/Mulcher' hybrid or knows more about it.

http://www.lamtrac.com/6140t.html

img.axd

On paper it looks like a beastly machine; 140HP Cummins, 44GPM, 6000PSI. Additionally the access to the engine appears to be great in the pictures, and having a hydraulically powered cab lift make appears to make it extremely easy to maintain...

The cab looks like it would keep the dust out unlike the issues I've heard with CAT/ASV and also has an actual full size chair with great visibility.

The total dimensions on paper don't appear to be too much bigger than a CAT.

Lamtrac also advertises its function as a traditional CTL as well: bucket use, dozer, etc. They don't however publish a ROC for it so that worries me as I would purchase it for the purpose of having a skid steer as well.

That's all good and fun on paper but I was wondering if anyone had experience/testimonial using/knowing of someone using it?

One problem that I see is that it is truly in a niche market. Without calling their sales dept. it looks like the MSRP is right around 185-200K. Many smaller forestry operators cannot afford such a costly machine, and those that can will likely just out-right purchase a completely dedicated machine, just going right over the constraints of a CTL package...

A couple of new and used sitting right over the $150K mark. https://www.machinerytrader.com/lis...equipment/manufacturer/lamtrac/model/ltr6140t

Comments/opinions/reviews?

Thanks!

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Wow that is a lot money for that. I get it makes crazy power and hyd hp, but 200K? The CASE Minitour will be a lot more versatile when that releases.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
The hydraulic specification is total BS and unitainable. To achieve that will require over 200hp.

mikebramel

The pump may have torque control, so as the pressure rises, volume falls off. So maybe look at it as peak 44gpm OR 6000, not AND. Maybe, dont know this machine

Tones

Occupation
The pump may have torque control, so as the pressure rises, volume falls off. So maybe look at it as peak 44gpm OR 6000, not AND. Maybe, dont know this machine
They are advertised as flow @ pressure. Pressure or flow is the truth. BTW it's not just a Lamtrak thing, most manufacturers are guilty.

ChuckWilson

Waking this thread up. Has anyone ran one yet? I really like the idea of a semi dedicated mulcher that can still be transported with a one ton.

Mark13

Waking this thread up. Has anyone ran one yet? I really like the idea of a semi dedicated mulcher that can still be transported with a one ton.

I spent 1.5-2hrs in one with a Cimaf 180 head about a year ago. It seemed like it was a slick setup for running a mulcher but I don't think I'd want to do skid steer things with it anymore then I had to. It's nice that it'll run most any skid steer attachment but it's physically big, controls are odd, visibility, etc are downsides for that. I know some guys complain of major undercarriage problems but I think a fair bit of that is the operator.
They did do a nice job with access, clean out, etc. In a matter of a minute or two you can have the whole machine opened up to clean it out or do maintenance compared to a skid steer where everything is crammed in there.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
I would want steel tracks on it for heavy mulching. I do like the looks of the swing open covers, and the nice operator seat. I wonder how good the seals are, and the A/C? Staying in the cab, in comfort, all day, is one thing that many of the mulcher manufacturers seem to overlook. I have not been in a mulcher yet, that had excellent cab, window, and door seals, as well as an A/C that was dependable and could keep you cool all day.
Jeff

Tones

Occupation
Ok , a year has gone by since my last post on this thread and more light has been shone on these machines and it ain't good.
The track gear is absolute rubbish which Lamtrac are trying to fudge by doing stupid fixes. My understanding from angry owners comments the entire track system needs a total redesign.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
No. I have operated Fecons, Rayco's, and a Kubota with a Denis Cemaf head. Also tried a Bobcat with the Bobcat head. Local dealer support is important, as these machines like to tear themselves up, so it has seemed.
Jeff

Tones

Occupation
I owned a Rayco without dealer support. The dealer didn't know diddly and ended up going bust. What I found it was far better to have component support, engine,hydraulics and track gear/track drives. I was running a Fecon/AHWI head on and their dealer is on the other side of the continent so often the different time zone played into my hands. Bearings and hydraulic motors were purchased locally.

ChuckWilson

I went and looked at them Saturday but the dealer was closed so it was just a static display. They had the 6140 and the new 6170 which both look good for competing with the skid steer mulcher market but I think they’ll lack against a Fecon 150 or the Primetech 175.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
I went and looked at them Saturday but the dealer was closed so it was just a static display. They had the 6140 and the new 6170 which both look good for competing with the skid steer mulcher market but I think they’ll lack against a Fecon 150 or the Primetech 175.
What dealer did you see this equipment at? Is it in southeast Texas?