• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lakefront property

rondig

Occupation
excavation
Hey guys...know this is usual post...i am with hope that some of the southern people here can help me...My wife and i are looking for lakefront property in the southern usa for winter living...we love texas and went to see their lakes...they are very muddy and not clear...we are use to clear water in canada...mind you it is froze over now lol....anyways...we are looking for a nice deep clear lake to boat on...but we cant travel to every lake...GA,TX,FL,LA,AL,OK would all be good. Prefer not near a city
..we like out there...or small towns.....thanks guys

Vetech63

Here in OK you can drive between big lakes all you desire. There is about every kind of lake you can imagine (sandy beach, rocky, shallow, deep). Several huge ones within an hour or so of Tulsa in every direction.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Smith Lake in AL. Deep, clear and cheap.

The lake is about an hour outside Birmingham and about about a 3 HR drive from the Atlanta airport.

rondig

Occupation
excavation
Here in OK you can drive between big lakes all you desire. There is about every kind of lake you can imagine (sandy beach, rocky, shallow, deep). Several huge ones within an hour or so of Tulsa in every direction.
Yeah we saw a couple of nice lakes in ok coming back from texas.. we are going back down with boat to check them out..i think it was called ufalah

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Yes one and the same. It's known as just Smith Lake locally. We also have Lake Martin which is a beautiful lake but very pricey. Not to be confused with Lake Logan Martin which is nice but I wouldn't recommend.

rondig

Occupation
excavation
Thanks man...will look up for sure....love water skiing and swimming. And looking for small town feel with low crime

boaterri

Occupation
Retired Television Engineer
It is a little east of your target area but if you don't mind salt water try Abaco Bahamas

4x4ford

Occupation
aunts on the strip Currently drive a 1951 chevy pa
Lake Eufaula in Oklahoma is fairly nice I used to live about an hr from there several state parks around it plenty of places to launch a boat

crane operator

I'm in far southern Missouri, 5 miles from the arkansas line.

Here in town we have table rock lake and lake tanycomo, one on each side of the dam. Bull Shoals Lake is just further downstream. Bull Shoals is the least built up. Table rock (real deep 200') and Bull shoals are bass/ crappie. Taneycomo has trout from our fish hatchery. Lots of boating/ skiing on table rock. Taneycomo is actually more like a river than a lake. Home of Bass Pro shop is just a hour north in Springfield Mo. Lakes here are really clear- stone streams filling them.

It would be a little cool here for winter time skiing. Its usually ok boating weather. Typical winter weather is 50's during the day and 30's at night. Occasional 60's and sometimes 20's (all F). Rarely in the teens and I've lived here 10 years and never seen below 8. Ground usually never freezes. Might snow 3 times a year, rarely stays more than a day or two.

Lots of vacation homes around the lake, lots of resorts also. Bull shoals has much less of that- more wilderness. Most wintertime vacationers go further south- texas, arizona, florida. We see probably more full time retirees that don't want bitter cold, but still like a change of seasons.

Last edited:

rondig

Occupation
excavation
Thanks guys....well we got flight booked...we will visit lakes in ok...then will check out smith lake....if we still have time i would like to check out sinclair in GA. I lived in searcy AR. For 2 years while building seismic drills for a company there...loved it there....but got a little chilly in jan and feb...but the people were so friendly.

partsandservice

Lake Sinclair is near me and have fished a lot. It not a clear lake, with some deep areas. I am not sure what you consider a small community .There are three different towns around the lake. Milledgeville, Eatonton, and Sparta. Milledgeville is a college town. Eatonton is a standard middle Georgia small town, and Sparta just is. Deep clear lakes will mostly be in north GA. Lake Burton, Lake seed, and Lake Raburn to name a few. This area is expensive, Nick Sabine and Alan Jackson have or had homes at Lake Burton. All of these lakes have fish considered northern like trout walleyes and yellow perch.

Last edited:

rondig

Occupation
excavation
Interesting thanks for the info on sinclair....i was interested because the depth only changes 24 inches over the year...heard sparta just is lol....this lot is near the airport. So it is NOT clear?

partsandservice

The end of the lake near the airport is near the dam and as a general rule the water is clearer on that end of the lake.

partsandservice

I have owned property on Sinclair in the past , but it was a Georgia Power lease lot. I am currently searching for a place near Twin bridges , one that is deeded.