• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lady Marion on the move

Grader4me

Took these pictures today. They are moving the dragline to another coal source. I believe the move is 13 kms. Big adventure as a road had to be cleared, it has to cross the public road in two places. They have to run new power lines and the sub station has to be moved along with it as well. From what I'm hearing it will cost between 2 and 3 million. These pictures are where it was stuck, but it's almost ready to begin it's treck again. Getting one of these puppy's stuck is no laughing matter!

Dragline.jpg

dragline 2.jpg

Dragline front view.jpg

This picture shows how far it came up to today.
Traveled so far.jpg

OneWelder

Hate to see the frozen puddles and snow,esp. with the cold wet summer we had. Your foliage apears to be just turning , yet ours is turned and half on the ground. My town has not had a frost yet- although most of state has - I am on the Mass. NH line

Grader4me

Just depends where your at I guess. The colors are fading fast. Looking out my window I'm seeing tree's with hardly any leaves left. We've had a few frosts already. Winter is just around the corner.
How's that for highjacking my own thread? :eek:

Flash2004

Occupation
Boss
A great story you've written there, the CEO is obviously a good man for semantics, saying "stuck is not really the right word" then going on to say "You can lose weeks if you got it stuck bad enough" which undermines his first statement a little!

He's right though, you can move those things anywhere if you have enough time.

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
i would love to take one of those to the tavern. "but officer, i'm not driving, i'm walking."

Grader4me

A great story you've written there, the CEO is obviously a good man for semantics, saying "stuck is not really the right word" then going on to say "You can lose weeks if you got it stuck bad enough" which undermines his first statement a little!

He's right though, you can move those things anywhere if you have enough time.

Lol..I noticed that little blurp. Reminds me of one of our guy's..In the winter time he would call in once in awhile saying he needed a pull. Supervisor would ask hiim how bad he was stuck, his reply would be "I'm not stuck, I'm snow bound" To some operators "stuck" is a dirty word :D

ben46a

Grader4me, Is the lady of the lake still sitting in chipman?minto? havent seen it in ten years or so and was just wondering. Was getting some 41B Parts from Knox contracting and saw it there.

Grader4me

Grader4me, Is the lady of the lake still sitting in chipman?minto? havent seen it in ten years or so and was just wondering. Was getting some 41B Parts from Knox contracting and saw it there.

It was sitting in Coal Creek (just outside of Chipman) for years. They sold it a few years back. I have no idea where it's at now. It was bigger than "Maid Marion"

stretch

Occupation
gopher
Lady of the Lake is in Ft. Myers, Florida in a limestone quarry. I believe it's owned by CEMEX/Youngquist Bros., painted in a red/white scheme.

Thanks for the reply Grader4me, I didn't know there was coal up that way but I recognized the Lady's name from another forum. :confused:

Grader4me

Wasn't Knox involved with one of those 2 cranes somehow by owning or being part owner?

I'm not 100 per cent sure but I don't think that he had any thing to do with these two drag lines. I know that years ago he had his own drag lines as that is how he started in the business. I know that now he rents equipment such as dozers, excavators and graders to NB Coal but thats it.

I just moved to this area a few years ago so I'm not quite up to it's history of coal mining, but from what I can understand it used to be a booming industry.

A couple of years back Mr. Knox took me out to the site where Maid Marion was working. Quite an experience :)

murray83

Occupation
jack of all trades....master of none
Ah ok remember dad saying something about Harold and NB Coal years ago and draglines so had to ask.

Donn

Occupation
VP HCS, Scottsdale, AZ
Glad to hear that she is doing well. I was there in '92 to put the new Tub under her also

I still have a couple of Maid marion Coffe Cups from the shop in Minto, keep one on my desk all the time.