• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lack of power, Hydraulics Mini Excavator

Dalis

Bought a 4 years old Takeuchi TB219 excavator. It got 2000hours on the meter, and seems to be in good shape. No excessive wear, engine and hydraulics are also looking to be clean.

I experience some of the hydraulic operations to be a bit weak.
- I cannot lift the excavator with both boom and doozer blade at the same time.
- When I lift the boom with max lifting capacaty, and then lift the arm or bucket, the boom will give in for the load, and lower it self.
- The tilt on the bucket seams to be weak, and will give in if I force it into the ground.

These are the symptoms I remember tonight, and after the searches I`ve done, I find the pump to deliver accurate pressures. P1 gave 215 Barg, and P2 gave 221 Barg. P3 and P4 havent been checked at this point, but I think they are good.

The noise when I fully extend boom, arm and bucket reminds me of the sound the reliefe valve will make.

Do anyone have any good tips to check?

Delmer

A general tip for looking for hydraulic issues is to follow the heat. If you have a relief leaking then that's where the heat will build up, same with a bad pump, or leaking hydraulic cylinder piston.

If you have a non contact infrared thermometer, it will be a little easier. Or you can wait for a damp cool morning when the machine is covered with dew, start it and as soon as the engine runs smooth, bury the bucket so it stalls for ten seconds, then shut it off immediately. If you're really lucky the relief valve or some other component you'd never think of will be steaming obviously.

Dalis

Hi Delmer, Thank you for the tip.

I tried to use the IRCamera today, and took a few pictures.
I`m heading of to work tonight, and will be away for a few weeks, so I didnt play much around with it.
I saw the relief for P1 got a bit hoter than the rest, but that would be natural.

Could the problem be as easy that P1 and P2 relief settings are a bit different?

But I also would believe that the boom would stay but when I lift something when I dont move the control stick. Right now it will lover it selfe if I continue to lift with the arm.

I have downloaded the manuals, and will try to find some time when I`m at work to read them so I can do some more testing with the thermal camera next time I`m home
IMG_4262.JPG
IR_0607.jpg IR_0635.jpg

Last edited:

Delmer

But I also would believe that the boom would stay but when I lift something when I dont move the control stick. Right now it will lover it selfe if I continue to lift with the arm.

I don't know anything about the specifics of this machine. I won't be any help with the diagnosis.

I'm also not sure about some of the issues you mention, if they are normal or something wrong.

If you're saying the boom will lower on it's own with the control not activated, then that definitely sounds wrong.

What kind of experience do you have with hydraulics and equipment? Already having done some pressure tests and using a FLIR isn't what I expect with a question like this.

Dalis

My experience with hydraulics are not as good as they should be. I`m a mechanic, and have worked some with hydraulics. But I`m not experienced enough to start some big job with the hydraulic system before I`ve checked with someone else with more experience. Not because I`m not able to rebuild it, but I`m afraid I`m overseeing some "easy fix" since I dont work with hydraulics.
Through my work, I`ll pressure test safety valves, and use FLIR. Through my household, I use the mini excavator.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
You are going to need an operators manual to at least see if the functions are normal operation and a service manual to be able to understand the system. It's nice to believe that someone might have a quick and easy answer but for the most part unless someone has worked on these units for a long time all you will get is suggestions of issues generic to all excavators. The symptoms you describe possibly indicate deeper problems.

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
Hi Delmer, Thank you for the tip.

I tried to use the IRCamera today, and took a few pictures.
I`m heading of to work tonight, and will be away for a few weeks, so I didnt play much around with it.
I saw the relief for P1 got a bit hoter than the rest, but that would be natural.

Could the problem be as easy that P1 and P2 relief settings are a bit different?

I have downloaded the manuals, and will try to find some time when I`m at work to read them so I can do some more testing with the thermal camera next time I`m home
View attachment 186817
View attachment 186815 View attachment 186816
That line runs to the RP port .What is your email address ? I can send you the operation and parts manual .