• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

L90F28903 , 14000 hrs with tier3 engine , water in fuel .

Se.la

Occupation
Technician VOLVO, old heavy machinery
VOLVO Loader
This problem start a few year agoe
Every 2 days we need to drain the water separator , in summer (5°C to 30°C) ,like winter ( 0°C to -40°C)
The fuel gauge in the fuel tank was changed.
The fuel control valve (FCV) was changed.
Injector was changed at 13007 hrs
Breather fuel tank = ok
If some one could help me it was apreciate.
Sorry for my english

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
Do you have a drain valve on the tank ? If you do ,drain some fuel out to see how much water you have.
Check the tank for bad seal around fill,fuel level gauge,cracks ,vent rust spots anyplace water can get in

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Where do you get your fuel? Do you have other machines with water issues? That tank is hard to get water in as it's under the hood. We had a water issue a few years ago, but it was one of our storage tanks

Se.la

Occupation
I drain the tank ,1 litre of water come out.
I removed the tank to inspection and all it's ok .

on winter time ,here no water.
and when the operator fill the tank he remove the filler cap the tank is in negative pressure.
I have 4 VOLVO loader L70F, L70G ,L120E , and fill at the same place , only the L90F have this problem.
Thanks for your help

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
If you have negative pressure when removing the cap that is your problem you are sucking water dirt contaminants past a lever lock . above the fill tank in the radiator compartment you'll find a breather filter with a 6 mm line clear vinyl line going to it , replace that breather.

Se.la

Occupation
I push air with air gun in 6 mm line clear vinyl line and i hear air go out the the fill tank , the braether will be changed , the fuel lever sensor will be changed to.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I wouldn't necessarily change the sender I would change the gasket and make sure that everything around it is perfectly clean when you screw the new sender into the tank and make sure that it locks into place that it's not loose when you are done it should be very very difficult

Se.la

Occupation
Sorry for my english, the sender has been changed with new o-ring and scilicone on the hole screw,
Thanks

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Just make sure the rubber elbow hose item number 3 is properly secured at the tank and at the filler neck so that no water can seap in

rondig

Occupation
excavation
Also check ohms on water in fuel sender...we had that problem with our nh loader....we replaced it...no problems since

rondig

Occupation
excavation
Oh if there is actual water...eeeek bad on fuel pump and injectors. But to have that much water so often is also quite strange.

Se.la

Occupation
I draine water separator filter every 2 day , and I see the water in the plastic bowl

rondig

Occupation
excavation
We had a drill in bolivia during the rainy season and hot muggy days...we had to drain fuel separator often... we could actually feel the humidity on metal surfaces....the fuel system would have condensate in the tank. Over night...our best solution was to drain in am...plus completely fill tank at end of day

Se.la

Occupation
This is all a good answer but i have only 1 on 4 machine with this problem.
humidity is 56% themp is -12°C