• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

L39 Kubota Backhoe problems

korydz

I’ve got a problem and I’m looking for some help. The issue is very weak backhoe on my Kubota L39 TLB. I know this is a little small for this forum, but I have a Deere 310C as well for credibility. :)

I bought the tractor recently second hand from a non-Kubota dealer with 400 hours on it. It was a trade in from a known customer with no reported issues. It did sit on the lot for some time (a year?) so there could be some problems related to that. I’ve put 10 hours on it plowing snow and moving things around with the forks. I haven’t yet performed the 400 hour service and the associated fluid changes, but none of the fluids appear to be in any condition other than you would expect.

The loader and all other functions work flawlessly. The backhoe performs all functions quickly and smoothly, but with no power. It very much seems that it is triggering a relief valve almost immediately upon being loaded. The outriggers will pick up the machine easily, but the hoe won’t even budge it. I can hardly get it to pull through a snow pile with any of the controls including swing.

I understand that there are 3 pumps on the L39; main, swing and steering. I have a full set of manuals and have read up on any of the sections that appear to be related. I’ve searched the web and these forums without any luck so far.

Here’s what I’ve done so far without success:

-Topped up hydraulic fluid (it was over a gallon low)
-Performed pressure test as described in WSM 8-S15.
-Pressure showed it was good at idle and increased with throttle. It did not trip the relief.
-Quadruple checked that the flow diverters that switch from 3PT to backhoe were fully engaged (this is verified by the pressure test).
-I removed the main relief valve. It’s clean and operable.
-Reassembled and tested again. Still no power.

As soon as pressure starts to build, it bypasses or relieves somewhere. Here’s the crazy part. This machine has a separate swing pump and feed circuit to the hoe, and it does the same thing too. If the main pump was the issue, the loader wouldn’t be working properly (right?). The loader easily lifts the machine at idle and picks up whatever it seems it should, although I haven’t pushed it really hard yet as everything around here is still a frozen mess.

Where do I go from here? Replace the relief valve even though it tests and appears fine? Is there something gummed up or plugged? I can’t get my head around what it is other than the main relief valve. Even at that, the swing should still work since it has its own pump and feed line to the hoe. It only shares the return line. Is the problem in the return? Should I/can I do a pressure test on the return side of the circuit?

I have a great dealer that I bought one of my other tractors from, but he’s a 2 ½ hour trip away and I need to beg/borrow/steal a truck and trailer big enough to haul it. Even then, what are they going to be able to do that I haven’t tried yet.

I don’t have flow meter, but could get my hands on one if need be. I have all the speed and smoothness the hoe should have, just no pressure. I was blown away when the pressure test worked and now I’m at a loss. I know there are some sharp and experienced people out there. Any help would be appreciated.

Tags

This is a long shot, but have you tried coupling and uncoupling the hoses that go to the backhoe? I have heard of times when they just don't go together right but they look like they are connected properly. You have nothing to lose giving it a shot.

El Hombre

Can you insert the gauge right at the inlet to the hoe cylinders? Then watch it and see if the pressure out there builds? Other thing would be to shim the spring in the relief valve; I would start out with something about 10% of the length of the spring and see what happens. Is there some point that all these pumps have in common? That might be the spot where they leak.

korydz

I will definitely try cleaning and recoupling the connectors. I would love for it to be something so simple. I've got a couple other ideas to try tomorrow night if I get some time. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the input and suggestions.

Delmer

The swing isn't supposed to have much power, the boom and stick just aren't designed for the strain. So the swing power doesn't mean much.

The loader working fine and the backhoe having no power definitely makes the pump seem OK. How is this plumbed up? Pump to loader valve to backhoe valve, with a return from each valve bank? Seems like there should be some part of either valve that's leaking the pressure. Is there any noise when the backhoe is "relieving" or any load on the engine? Maybe hold it "over the relief" for a minute and see if anything has warmed up?

hookedondiesel

What are the specs for the reliefs to kick in at on your machine and what readings are you getting when you tested them.
You probably realize that you have to put a load on and have the reliefs bypass to get a proper reading.

korydz

Update:
I had some time to play with it tonight. No solutions yet, but checked a few things and I have a better description of the problem:

-I cleaned and reconnected the three fittings on the hoe.
-I pulled the boom and dipper relief valves out. They look clean and are not stuck.
-I did a pressure test on the main backhoe supply line as described in the WSM. 2500psi at idle and it climbed to 2700psi at full tractor RPM (2700RPM) and did not trip the main relief. I didn’t want to over rev the engine, but I think it’s safe to say this isn’t the issue. Diverter from BH to 3PT work properly.

I tried the hoe again and made some better observations:
-Stabilizers are fine.
-Bucket is fine.
-Dipper retract will audibly activate its individual relief valve when over pressured as you’d expect.
-Boom (both directions) and dipper extend fail.

Here’s the detail on what I mean by fail, and I should have been more clear on this before. If I try to lift the tractor with the boom (with the dipper and bucket tucked in), the cylinder will move a couple inches and then fail. It doesn’t just stop as it would if there was an over pressure relief, it actually drops any of the weight it picked up. There’s no sound of a relief, just the change in sound from the tractor from being loaded to unloaded.
More confusion: I was able to get the boom to fully lift the tractor a few times. It seems if I kinda snuck up on it by building pressure slowly, it would “catch” and then give me full power. I wasn’t able to replicate this on the dipper.

Do I just have a bunch of gunk in the spools? Is there any big trick to taking them apart and reassembling? Do I need new seals or o-rings or anything? Can I just flush the backhoe’s hydraulic system somehow? Keep in mind this is a 400 hour tractor in very good condition. It sat for perhaps as long as a year at the dealership. Everything I’ve looked at seems like it hasn’t been touched. No wrench marks or missing fasteners etc., so I’m tending towards issues from sitting rather than abuse or someone monkeying around with it.

partsandservice

I have no knowledge of this tractor, is it possible this a load sense system? Have you tried to see if you have see if you have boom power while holding the bucket curled in ? This would trip the pump on stroke. If it is load sense system the pump may not be receiving the load sense signal from the boom valve or there could be a check valve leaking.

hookedondiesel

I don't think you should have any pressure at idle "if your boom or dipper are not going into relief" in other words, if they are not maxed out, you should have no pressure since the oil is in the return to tank mode.
If you do have pressure, it sounds as if your reliefs are already bypassing, thats why you have no power to the boom.
Only when you "load" the boom cylinder etc....to its max will your relief kick in, giving you your 2700 psi on your gauge. ( thats if you have an open center hydraulic system)
Fluid goes to the hoe and returns to the tank when not in use, only when you "use" the hoe is pressure created and can be seen on the gauge you hooked up.
So my question again is, are you taking these readings at idle without maxing out the boom or dipper to get your readings?

korydz

The pressure test that I did was for the main relief valve n the tractor. I connected the gauge to the quick connect supply port at the hoe connection. The hoe on the L39 is detachable. I wasn't testing pressure during operation.

hookedondiesel

The pressure test that I did was for the main relief valve n the tractor. I connected the gauge to the quick connect supply port at the hoe connection. The hoe on the L39 is detachable. I wasn't testing pressure during operation.

So you just have the gauge on the supply quick connect and you get 2700 psi.
That doesn't sound right to me. You should have no pressure there unless the gauge is teed in with the supply to the hoe and the hoe is maxed out to give you a reading of the pressure your relief kicks in, I could be wrong but it doesn't seem right to me.

hookedondiesel

You really don't need a tee, with the gauge connected, you can or should use your lever to activate the boom and that should give you a reading but without any lever movement, you shouldn't have a high pressure like that.

korydz

Thanks for all the help guys. I think it's clear that I have some guck (technical term) in the valves or spools. I have a good friend that is a spectacular HD mechanic that works just down the road that has agreed to tear in to it for me. His tools and experience will all but guarantee results.

I know many of you would encourage me to tackle it myself, and if I had more time and less resources (like the above mentioned conveniently located professional) I'd be inclined to. The feeling of dread of losing a tiny spring or clip buried in one of these assemblies and not even having the experience to realize that I had done so is less than appealing.

Thanks again. I'll let you know how it all turns out.