• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

l1850 letourneau

blitz138

hahaha thats about the same thing that happened to the 2350 too bad I dont have a pic

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The best part was that the crack was pointed out to the customer when it was just small. I was told it was visible from ground level, certainly close-up photos I saw after the failure showed a fatigue crack that had been growing for a long time. Because we had a MARC for the Big Yellow gear on the same job site that included 994s the comment was ridiculed by the customer and we were accused of trying to make trouble. A month later the hitch fell apart ........... Bazinga ..........!!

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
I've not done a boring job on one of those for years but I remember looking at the artic set up and I think they had bolt on caps for the artic bearings. The idea being that you could replace a bearing without splitting the machine. Good in theory but I did wonder about the long term fatigue aspect.

JDOFMEMI

That is probably not bad, as long as it is monitered. Once the bolts start loosening or breaking, it is time to repair it. When you let it get out of hand, then you get one like post 20.

JDOFMEMI

I see.

Sounds like a weak design then. I am sure if it is already weak, a loose pin will not help it any.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I don't think it was the design. From the close-up photos of the break that I have in my "Black Museum" collection but don't want to post here, it was a bad weld on the front frame that caused a stress riser and a resulting high-cycle fatigue crack. Maybe sloppy pins/bearings had something to do with it but IIRC the loader was not very old at all, probably 5000 hours or less.

fsmech

Occupation
field service mechanic
The lincs system in letourneaus is very complicated, a lot of information, multiple can bus systems. Also the seating position is very low, very different feeling from say 1200's or 994's. What are everyone's opinion who have swung spanners on these? The good point is the 4000 series engines, no diffs, short articulation hoses that go through to a Christmas tree. . Bad points... In board facing brakes need changing through the hell holes, taper lock pin design, nearly impossible to get boom cylinders out safely without removing front tyre
Hydraulic pumps a nightmare to change.

For those interested the pump drive gear box in these monsters, use a idler gear shaft made by John Deere. Wonder what relationship letourneau and John Deere have?

Above is only experience working on l1850's Dash one models. Is anyone aware of the changes made to the dash two series? All I new of is they went to brushless wheel motors