• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

KW updates

bccat

Occupation
Retired millwright,Heavy Equipment Operator
IH Travelall or was it a Scout can't remember, an acquaintance had one with a factory installed Isuzu
six cylinder diesel. Pretty sure it was Isuzu powered IIRC.
Scout’s had a Nissan Diesel as an option , my Dad had one. Our neighbor had 2 Scout’s with slant 4 cyl. Another neighbor had a pickup with a slant 4 also, not powerhouses but dependable

4x4ford

Occupation
aunts on the strip Currently drive a 1951 chevy pa
I have 1969 international halfton short bed has a 345 in it some day I’ll get around to getting it back on the road

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
I saw lot of those diesel Scouts in the mid 70's, while working at underground mines. Those, and pickups converted with a Perkins diesel, were popular at underground operations back then.
Jeff

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Give a update on the Pickup, Parts pricing is getting stupid. Have to have them so just pay and move on but as reference:

KW, bought 4 Group 31 stud type, roughly $140 Each and delivered by MHC, this summer got two Group 31 post type for my Allis 180, $167 Each, local as had to have on a Saturday. This week two 65-2 Ford 1000cca batteries a Fuel & Air filter with a Temperature sensor, $500, batteries over $200 each. Muffler short head pipe and 3 clamps just under $250, day I ordered they noted price showed as just over $220 but could not really price out until arrived. Carquest here has gone to Consignment stocking, nothing is Bought by them until sold to a customer, price can change every to every other day. Owner said she had to go that route as was losing money weekly on reorders and special orders they foolishly priced out ahead of time. Parts availability is also getting really bad, Muffler came from Terre Haute IN, ONLY One the system showed, had several of the short head pipes in STL, the Temp Sensor was in another of this gal's stores, had it same day where that store now cannot get a replacement only has two on shelves at a third and fourth store out of five. Filer suppliers are getting slim, last Carquest filters were Baldwin produced, Wix is almost impossible to get in any form. Tire shop next door cannot get Toyo Auto tires anymore, seems ChickFilA built a new supply center near to the Toyo factory on East Coast, Toyo was paying $26/hour, CFA Starts employees at $30, cannot keep workers at Toyo.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Give a update on the Pickup, Parts pricing is getting stupid. Have to have them so just pay and move on but as reference:

KW, bought 4 Group 31 stud type, roughly $140 Each and delivered by MHC, this summer got two Group 31 post type for my Allis 180, $167 Each, local as had to have on a Saturday. This week two 65-2 Ford 1000cca batteries a Fuel & Air filter with a Temperature sensor, $500, batteries over $200 each. Muffler short head pipe and 3 clamps just under $250, day I ordered they noted price showed as just over $220 but could not really price out until arrived. Carquest here has gone to Consignment stocking, nothing is Bought by them until sold to a customer, price can change every to every other day. Owner said she had to go that route as was losing money weekly on reorders and special orders they foolishly priced out ahead of time. Parts availability is also getting really bad, Muffler came from Terre Haute IN, ONLY One the system showed, had several of the short head pipes in STL, the Temp Sensor was in another of this gal's stores, had it same day where that store now cannot get a replacement only has two on shelves at a third and fourth store out of five. Filer suppliers are getting slim, last Carquest filters were Baldwin produced, Wix is almost impossible to get in any form. Tire shop next door cannot get Toyo Auto tires anymore, seems ChickFilA built a new supply center near to the Toyo factory on East Coast, Toyo was paying $26/hour, CFA Starts employees at $30, cannot keep workers at Toyo.
And it's about to get really bad with needing to fill out a 1099-K for anything sold over $600 so anything needed to be bought online is going up in price or in small mom and pops shops. Inventory is about to get real slim and any good deals are going out the door with some businesses too. To make sure they squeeze more they are hiring 87k more IRS agents over the next 7 years.
Dark times are getting darker and will continue for a bit more afterwards...
https://www.irs.gov/businesses/understanding-your-form-1099-k
Cash is going to get more popular after this...

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
As they cannot get those 87000 agents to even apply for work I am gonna laugh really hard. Could not get 200 out of 1000 show ups for the 2000 expected and hoped for as applicants to openings had in KC IRS last year ended up hired 120 only 70 showed up and none stayed, ran ads in every major city trying to hire extra help for tax season, NO Takers.
So would need some 2000 each for every major metropolitan city averaged out, not gonna see that. And NO, not wishing them good luck, just cynically stating Good Luck with that!!!!

The current dorks have just made ever more work for the overworked who also will not stay much longer.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I deal with the SSA office in Union MO, are supposed to have 45 on staff, have 20. Of the 20 could actually see perhaps a dozen actually working last time in there, the other 8 were playing on computer, appeared as writing stuff on note pads and ignoring the incessant telephone ringing. Agent with me said cannot fire anyone regardless how they work or not, once hired are permanent tax $$ absorbing leeches. She had almost had enough and was looking to retire at 67 she is now.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Wife is going to work for the USDA in a week, she was complaining about getting less there than her current job at the hospital in the ER as front desk intake. Told her there is way more benefits that outweigh the pay working for the gov, less likely to catch any sickness and it's only dollar less an hour, that she couldn't be fired and could retire in 20 years or move up in positions easily.
Wife working for USDA as purchaser/accounting, she is getting a degree in accounting as I type and I'm going to start a ranch, sounds like perfect combination to me.
Rancher.jpg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
And it's about to get really bad with needing to fill out a 1099-K for anything sold over $600 so anything needed to be bought online is going up in price or in small mom and pops shops. Inventory is about to get real slim and any good deals are going out the door with some businesses too. To make sure they squeeze more they are hiring 87k more IRS agents over the next 7 years.
Dark times are getting darker and will continue for a bit more afterwards...
https://www.irs.gov/businesses/understanding-your-form-1099-k
Cash is going to get more popular after this...

Barter is the slide NONE in the IRS can attack, cannot prove what is not hard paid. Trade labor for labor, claim the money on parts and pieces against the farm, let THEM prove was not used there or money changed hands for labor. NOT ever enough bodies to do so.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Barter is the slide NONE in the IRS can attack, cannot prove what is not hard paid. Trade labor for labor, claim the money on parts and pieces against the farm, let THEM prove was not used there or money changed hands for labor. NOT ever enough bodies to do so.
That's exactly where I see the future going and folks like us with skills and work ethic will probably fare better than the rest.

colson04

Well as of Today Tree is up, decorated and house lights are all installed. C'mon Christmas!!

As a kid, we always put the tree up on Mom's birthday (December 1st). I tried that when I first got married. Went hunting day after Thanksgiving, came home and house was decorated. So, now I just stick with not celebrating holidays out of turn. Finish one holiday, then move on to next. Personally, I could skip the decorating altogether and still enjoy the season.