• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kubota SSL

gearhead82

I have been hearing and/or seeing ads for about 1.5 years for the new Kubota SSL. I have an interest in it since my experience with the CTL has been very positive.

However, from what I hear, they have not even started shipping them yet. Makes me a little nervous if they have been holding them back this long.

Anyone heard anything?

Occupation
operator
I heard they released a bunch but had problems with the lift arms so they called them all back. I saw one at the dealership this weekend again though. They've not been making loaders that long, I am sure they are experiencing some growing pains.

dave esterns

the local dealer said he just got one in but its gone now I'm guessing its sold. i was assuming that was the reason for kubota taking so long to release them perhaps they were going to be sure to do it right unlike most companies that just ship them out and worry about problems later. i have more confidence that kubota would be sure to get things right rather than say jcb. i find it to be very important to release a good machine when you are first starting out, its really the only shot you got.

dave esterns

the local dealer said he just got one in but its gone now I'm guessing its sold. i was assuming that was the reason for kubota taking so long to release them perhaps they were going to be sure to do it right unlike most companies that just ship them out and worry about problems later. i have more confidence that kubota would be sure to get things right rather than say jcb. i find it to be very important to release a good machine when you are first starting out, its really the only shot you got. the dealer was boasting of how the door does not interfere with boom and bucket... i was thinking well u are barking up the wrong tree with that one...

Rentalstop

Kubota had one of the 65 skid steers at the American Rental Association Show in Atlanta earlier this week. I was talking with a factory rep. He said that the reason for the delay was that there was a SHUDDER in the hydraulics when the arm was raised up high and while bringing the arm down. He claimed it was due to the machine being hand and foot controlled. He insisted that it was the only issue that they had. Again, I did say hand and foot control. Yes, that's the only way they are available as of right now ( according to this factory rep). The Kubota track loaders are hand control like CAT. Rep said they may offer hand controls later or as an option. The machine on display had cab, heat and air. I think the price was low to mid 40s. The fuel tank is in the door (strange if you as me). Also looked at the new Deere G series machines. Not impressed with these either. Think I'm buying another Bobcat. Now just have to decide if I want SJC (joysticks).

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The Kubota dealer here has a wheeled machine on their lot. They don't spec very well, and the control system is no going to be real popular with the owner/operator. That shudder has nothing to do with it being hand/foot. It is more likely a valving issue.

Rentalstop

The Kubota dealer here has a wheeled machine on their lot. They don't spec very well, and the control system is no going to be real popular with the owner/operator. That shudder has nothing to do with it being hand/foot. It is more likely a valving issue.
I'm just going off of what the factory rep stated. He said that your ankle/foot was not as smooth as your hand moving a lever. I think everybody would be offering joysticks with ISO and H switch. Seems like a step back. Unless their market research says guys want H/F. In that case they must be asking mostly Bobcat owners.

Rentalstop

KSSS.
Have you ran Bobcat SJC in the H pattern since you are a Case guy? Are Case guys disappointed with the SJC ?
Just wondering what you thought of the Bobcat joysticks. They seem to be smoother to me than Deere and JCB.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
It has been a while since I ran a BC. I think the last time was at a CASE customer clinic. I thought they were pretty decent, good feel and fairly quick, much better than the C series CAT at the time. They like everyone have probably improved since I ran them. I thought the JD EH was by far the worst I have ever run and that was a 2014 328E. There are not many BC guys here anymore for me to talk to, but I think their feel and controllability has always been pretty good. Reliability has been an issue in the past, expensive to work on.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I'm just going off of what the factory rep stated. He said that your ankle/foot was not as smooth as your hand moving a lever. I think everybody would be offering joysticks with ISO and H switch. Seems like a step back. Unless their market research says guys want H/F. In that case they must be asking mostly Bobcat owners.

I don't know anything about Kubota's strategic plan on their SSL but it seems to me this machine was built exclusively for rental. They have nothing in the higher hp or ROC ranges. The control system is H/F with mechanical linkage. Pretty low tech, I assume low cost relative to other EH or Pilot machines. Like I said not a machine an owner/operator is going to want to spend much time in. There are certainly some H/F guys out there but it has to be a much smaller market, and those that still offer it at least have made it EH so that it is not as fatiguing to run. Perhaps they will offer higher content SSL at some point in the future.

durallymax

Kubota doesn't have EH controls in their CTLs either, just pilot so no switch but I do believe they might configure them for either pattern, ISO is standard though

dave esterns

personally, i would take a kubota before i would take a case. I'm not impressed with either but if kubota puts the pilot controls on this fall that would be significant. they are releasing joysticks this fall, but i don't know what kind. the kubota seems like it would be loud in the cab but i have never ran one. i do not understand how none of the manufacturers seem to care about cab noise level except cat, and to a lesser extent bobcat. I'm guessing the new deere is loud too. it seems to me that kubota is targeting the farm crowd, it looks to me like something a farmer would want. i could never live with the roll up door though. and whoever mounted the hvac controls on the rear corner post was sure a genius. not to mention mounting the heat vents directly on the side window. seems to me kubota will pick up the business where there is no local bobcat dealer, and anybody who is having trouble keeping their bobcat running in the cold. but now that deere is a bobcat, they may pick up some of this business as well.

everyone always speaks of how hand foot machines are not the norm. but it is still the most popular setup bobcat, the largest manufacturer by far, sells. out of the 250 local skid steers sitting on lots i have looked at, i would say 235 of them are mechanical.

Rentalstop

Just Bobcat looking. They also have radius arm units. Like the old 763/S160. Deere went to Yanmar engines also. Maybe pickup some of the folks Bobcat is losing due to Doosan engines.

gearhead82

I do not understand the concept of the fuel tank in the door.

Why would you have a machine that the ROC continually drops throughout the day as fuel is consumed?

Also, knowing how often things end up in the tailgate, I do not want a fuel tank being the first thing punctured.

dave esterns

yes, to an engineer putting the fuel tank in the door might make some sense, and i wouldn't really be so worried about puncturing it, but i guarantee it would cause problems with driving the machine. 25 gallons of fuel is pretty serious business when you put it on the tailgate. i assume the least they did was put some baffles in the tank so the fuel doesn't swash around while driving. of corse they claim the rated capacity is with an empty fuel tank, but having the machine fluctuate in capacity so much is going to be problematic. they also claim you can hit a piece of rebar full speed and not puncture the rear door i hear.

Rentalstop

Twenty five gallons of fuel would be about 200 lbs. I don't think it would make a big difference whether it's in the Kubota door or under the engine in a bobcat or frame post in an old case. Wherever it is it's going to be changing as fuel is burned.

The Kubota rep where I looked at these machines pointed out that the steel is very thick. Maybe 3/8 inch. The hinges are heavy duty. There is a half inch gap between the door and the plastic tank, if something does dent the door. The tank is probably four to five inches wide covering the entire inside of the door, so I don't think there are baffles.

Digdeep

I
Twenty five gallons of fuel would be about 200 lbs. I don't think it would make a big difference whether it's in the Kubota door or under the engine in a bobcat or frame post in an old case. Wherever it is it's going to be changing as fuel is burned.

The Kubota rep where I looked at these machines pointed out that the steel is very thick. Maybe 3/8 inch. The hinges are heavy duty. There is a half inch gap between the door and the plastic tank, if something does dent the door. The tank is probably four to five inches wide covering the entire inside of the door, so I don't think there are baffles.

I opened a the tail gate of on the new 75hp SSL with a 3/4 fuel tank and you can see the door settle a not so insignificant amount. I'd be shocked if this was redesigned or beefed up significantly in the future. I've been around SSLs a long time and the door will not hold up as is.