• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kubota M59 bucket and hoe wont lift at idle

Tags

A friend of mine just purchased a used M59 with 650 hours, its in good shape, it was a rental machine I believe. It will not pick up the loader or the backhoe boom up at an idle, it doesn’t even seem to load the engine at all when you try and it seems like the loader and hoe are a bit slow but it will pick up a very full bucket of roadbase to full height and the hoe will dig and lift the machine no problem at higher rpms. Ive run these machines before and they will pick up the loader and the hoe at an idle. I'm wondering if it was a rental machine if the reliefs were turned down and if anyone knows how to check and where to check pressures on this machine? Also just wanted to add that the hydrostatic transmission seems fine and has no problem spinning the tires in 4wd.

Last edited:

greg9504

I don't think turning down the reliefs would effect low flow without affecting higher flow relief. It's all or nothing, relief is pressure based not flow. Can you hear the relief kicking in at idle? From your description I would guess not, if you are able to lift full load off idle. If you are curious you can tee in a fitting at a lift cylinder (on the piston side) to check what pressures you are seeing. There is probably a test port on the loader valve body too.

If you can't find one online, it looks like you can order a shop manual for $80 from Kubota (https://www.messicks.com/part/9y121-01120/m59tlb-shop-manual[URL]https://www.messicks.com/part/9y121-01120/m59tlb-shop-manual [/URL]), which is a pretty fair price.

I'd start with the hydraulic filter and fluid change and get a copy of the manual.

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
What is idle rpm compared to what it should be?

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
we have a couple compact graders that are the same. No function at idle. If you hold the control for 30 seconds or so, it will slowly start to move, but bump it up a hundred rpm or so and it functions normal. Both have been that way from day one, no issues. One has 2500 and the other a bit over 3000 hours

Tags

What is idle rpm compared to what it should be?

That's a great question.... I told him to order a WSM for it right away, he did, it'll be here this week. It seems to idle the same as others I have run, it should lift empty, others do. It just seems slow to lift when loaded too compared to others I have run....

AllDodge

I'm thinking worn pump, it doesn't produce the same pressure as it use to. Also with only showing 650 hours I would suspect it may have been disconnected for most of its life

Tags

Sooooo, just to follow-up, he ended up taking the machine to a local Kubota dealer at the suggestion of the place that sold him the machine (which was 6 hours from his location) and said to have the shop notify him of their findings because he said they don't sell junk. The Kubota dealer found that the hst pump had been replaced at some point and that it looked as though the system may not have been cleaned properly leaving metal in the hydraulic system which had at this point started to wear out the main hydraulic pump due to the low pressures they got when testing. They put together an estimate for $5136.00 to repair and flush the hydraulic system. The owner and Kubota dealer both got in touch with the seller to let him know of the findings and the cost of repair. The seller then said he would do one of three things, pay $2500 towards the repair, pick the machine up,repair it and bring it back, or pick up the machine and give his money back. He chose to send it back and get his money returned. They wired him the money before they even picked it up. I have to say that this kind of thing rarely happens these days and I have to think the dealer that sold him the machine absolutely did the right thing when he could have done nothing...

Last edited:

greg9504

That sucks, I feel for your friend. Is the seller going to cover the repair? Does mean the metal has gone through the transmission too?