• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kubota KX161-3ST Idlers will not slacken to get tracks back on

rust buster

I threw a track, actually now both tracks, on a Kubota KX161-3ST excavator. Rubber tracks. First thing I did was completely remove the bolt with the zerk fitting. I can see tons of fresh grease in the hole left behind. Tried every thing I could think of of the push the idler back (bucket, skid steer, etc) and I cannot get either idler (on either track) to budge at all in order to slacken the belt. Am I doing something wrong, or is there something wrong?
Thanks!

heymccall

Screenshot_20200707-211249_Chrome.jpg Since you clearly collapsed the grease jack, perhaps the recoil assembly isn't centered or pocketed in the track frame?

Last edited:

rust buster

I guess that is certainly a possibility. Is that fairly common and is there a surefire way to get it aligned again?

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
Have you checked the recoil spring bolt 250. ?.
Kind regards
Uffex

Attachments

• RecoilSpringBolt.pdf
    714.3 KB · Views: 4

Tags

Also, check to make sure that the hole behind the idler isn’t packed full of mud… The other problem could be that the rod connecting the idler is completely rusted so it won’t push back…

elcheapo

You do have the track off of the ground when trying to push it in ? as You said you were trying to push it in with the bucket, which means it was not being used to tilt up the mini to get the weight off of the track.

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
Good chance of dirt/rocks/rust built up in there. Does the idler tighten up at all when you pump it up with grease?

rust buster

Yes, the blade is on the idler end and it's an angle blade. I used that with a 6x6 to apply pressure on the idler as well, with no luck. If it is rocks and debris, I am guessing it is a PITA? How would you get access to clean it out if you cannot get the track off? This machine is new to me...bought it with 1900 hours, but the previous owner didn't take great care of it. I am going through replacing all the pins and bushings as there is a ton of slop. Is there an easier way to clean it out? Just a matter of getting a pressure washer nozzle back there?

heymccall

To coax a rubber track off, place a piece of 1.5x1.5 or so wooden stick or equivalent between two sets of track teeth (thickness to match track tooth height plus allowance for compression) and roll that onto the idler, add another, and another inching the track onto the idler. Once you're past so far around, you can leverage the track off the idler because the teeth aren't engaging the idler.
I've been known use black iron pipe and/ or anything else handy, but, wood works best.

Tags

You could also rest a piece of 6x6 on top of the blade and against the track, cock the boom to the side and push on it with the bucket, stick , and boom, that will put more pressure on the idler than using the blade angle. Slide the track off the way heymccall said to and get to cleaning with a pressure washer, if it hasn't been looked after chances are the track frame is probably packed full.

suladas

If the tracks are already off, why not pull the idler out and have a look and see if there's any dirt, etc why it won't retract? I think i'd be worried about putting too much pressure trying to retract it and potentially breaking something. Or if there's dirt in there, it might not tension back properly.

rust buster

Right now, the tracks are off on the interior side and there is too much tension to really do much of anything. I think I am going to break down and call in the mobile mechanic...

Tags

If you wrap a strap around the tracks at the sprocket end , you should be able to CAREFULLY pull them off of the sprocket side, and then work them off the other side, and clean everything up inside the other end of the track frame. This won't be the only time you'll lose a track, so if you have the time and the ability, it's probably not a bad idea to get familiar with the way everything works with the tracks, it's not really a big deal once you get into it