• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kubota KX080 Anybody have one?

Canadian_digger

We are thinking about getting one, I was just wondering if anyone has or ran one before? Any good? Do you find it strong and fast? Anything you like or dislike. Will it load a tandem or tri axle truck or does it have a hard time?
Thanks.

special tool

We are thinking about getting one, I was just wondering if anyone has or ran one before? Any good? Do you find it strong and fast? Anything you like or dislike. Will it load a tandem or tri axle truck or does it have a hard time?
Thanks.

A good friend of mine has one (not a make-believe "interwebs" friend, a real friend).
I have run it on a few occasions - it is incredible.
Fast, but smooth - the hydraulic system is as good or better than any Komatsu. Its a true hero-maker.
My friend has a VERY tall Canadian bodied Mack triaxle that the Kubota will load very well. You will have to move once to load evenly, but it is not a stretch at all - remember these things have all the reach because the boom is mounted forward.
I believe also, that the Kubota does not burn diesel......you fill that tank, darn if you didn't make about 5 thousand bucks before its below a quarter.
Go try it out for rent - you'll see.;)

Timark80

The 080 is supposed to be a top of the line machine.
I would like to hear more opinions about the Kubota 080 and Tak 175.
Looking at mulching with a FAE or similar head maybe 32" wide.
Anyone know how much extra it costs to add the hi-flow?

Eddiebackblade

Check mine out under ' sneak preview' on here.

I have just bought an Osma flail head and would also welcome any Hi Flow information.

I have just put it to work and it is a real quality machine, a bit slow for me but so smooth on the controls.

Fuel consumption is nothing short of unbelievable considering it would do most of a 13 tonners work.

Completely biased but I honestly chose it because it's top of the class when it comes to build quality.

Canadian_digger

Sounds good so far!

Eddie I have been following your thread quite close, really nice set up you have. Hope it works out for you.

Digga Dave

Occupation
Senior operator - Local Government
Hi guys,
I don't own a Kubota KX080 but rather operate one on a daily basis.
TOP little machine - I usually operate CAT 320LC and up - it does everything asked of it and am quite surprised by its power and reach.
I'm 6'2 and can comfortably sit in the cab. It has to be said for my perspective the armrests are a real pain - wrist rests would have been a better option - but i'm only operating not paying for it.

Just my 2 cents worth for now.

Pat C

I've rented a few. I'm 6'-2" and have plenty of room in the cab. It's all around a winner. The most features vs. the comp. and way less $$. My only complaint is it doesnt have the 'jam' like the smaller Kubota's, though it's smooth as can be. I know a lot of Kubota owners - they dont break and everyone loves em.

bushcat

Occupation
heo
I used to run a KX081 and load semi end dumps no problem. Very nice machine with steel tracks, thumb and blade and oh, a side shift boom for those tight spots.

Canadian_digger

So we ended up buying a 2008 Kubota KX080 with 235hrs. Seems to be a real nice machine. I have not had a chance to really try it out as it is winter and work is slow this time a year. It came with Hyd thumb, angle blade, 24",36" and 60" buckets. Rubber tracks. Heat and A/C. When I get some seat time I will let you know what I think.

Eddiebackblade

Canadian Digger I am really pleased for you and certain that you have chosen wisely.
It certainly sounds a high spec machine, and any pictures of the Thumb and Angle blade would be much appreciated as we don't get to have them over here.
I am well pleased with my 080 and the icing on the cake will come when you have to fill it with fuel as they are so economical.
Do you have a quick hitch? And if so how does the Thumb set up integrate with it?
Eddie.

HeyUvaVT

I would go TB175 over 080 the TB175 is conventional tail and in a mulching or heavy lift app it is better balanced than they 080...I have one and love it and wouldnt trade it for anything...it costs about $300 to install the necessary parts to run a mulcher on the TB175 Timark

Eddiebackblade

I would not take anything away from a Takeuchi TB175 or any other they produce, as I've always found them ultra reliable and super smooth/strong performers.
However there can be no denying they are not in the same league as Kubota when it comes to fit/finish and detail.
This still does not detract from Takeuchi as they are priced more competitively and definately not percieved as a lesser machine, so perhaps with a business head on have an edge on Kubota.

Definately not getting on mine lifts more than yours road, everyone wants different things from machines, but we all have something in common and that is we want a profit!

I would however consider from a UK standpoint that the main direct comparisons come from the Komatsu PC 88mr and the Volvo EC88, both again excellent machines.
I have to drive it every day(hopefully!) and just prefer the Kx080, the research I have done suggests a strong resale value so others are convinced also.

I don't know how your 080's come but I have plugged my flail straight in with no problems and have an extra circuit that will operate the hydraulic door if required all as standard.

Suppose it's horses for courses and personal preference, but as for Takeuchi I would take their TB016 over any other in the class and am actually keeping an eye out for a good used one for myself.

Canadian_digger

Heyuvavt The Kubota is not a zero tale swing. I think it maybe classed as a reduced tale as it is not very large.

Eddie. Yes it also has a quick coupler. I will try and get some pictures of the blade, thumb and quick coupler for you.

Canadian_digger

Hey Eddie I took some pics of the tumb, quick coupler and angle blade.

Attachments

• DSC00534.JPG
    DSC00534.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 4,082
  • DSC00535.JPG
    DSC00535.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 4,473
  • DSC00536.JPG
    DSC00536.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 4,099
  • DSC00537.JPG
    DSC00537.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 4,240
  • DSC00538.JPG
    DSC00538.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 5,017

HeyUvaVT

the tak can handle the weight of our mulching head alot better than the 080...i have nothing against the 080 just wouldnt trade my 175 for one...ever

and before you ask...yes I have seen the mulching head on both...DC South can help me out on this...

Eddiebackblade

Canadian Digger, that is something you will definately never see in the UK!

I find this whole 'Thumb' thing fascinating as you will not find any in the UK.
I am currently over the other side of your beautiful country at 'Whistler' and have spent an hour today studying the machines parked up for the weekend in town.
There was a Cat 320 parked up with exactly the same (obviously larger scale) thumb set up and Quick hitch with the shaped 'ears' on the bucket.
I really don't know how to put this without causing a rift across the Atlantic, but it does seem a somewhat agricultural set up compared to what we are used to over here!
However we don't use thumbs, and if that is how a Quick hitch needs to be configured to work with one then that's all good.

The angle blade is a fair piece of metal, but I have done many jobs where that would have saved some serious time.

Any Idea of the current full list price for a new machine with the Thumb and Angle blade?
I desperately wanted the two piece boom, but the price difference compared to standard was ridiculous even with Kubota UK trying to assist as the machine was going to be high profile.

I think your unit looks superb, and much prefer the Orange cab colour scheme you have.
It should prove a very versatile and popular machine for you.

I am not going to fuel the fire on the Takeuchi/Kubota debate as I have no issues with either.
I still maintain the TB175 is not a direct comparison in this type of machine and is not built to a premium specification.
The TB175 would go up against the Cat307 etc and the same conclusions would be reached.
They are superb machines at a slightly lesser cost, and the fit/finsh and detail are slightly less.

The lifting of a mulcher is not the only thing that most prospective purchasers would be buying a machine on.

I would end by saying If I was buying a machine to rent out, then it would be the Takeuchi every time but to use myself and if I coud justify the extra then I'd take the Kubota.

Digger Dan

Canadian Digger, that is something you will definately never see in the UK!

I find this whole 'Thumb' thing fascinating as you will not find any in the UK.
I am currently over the other side of your beautiful country at 'Whistler' and have spent an hour today studying the machines parked up for the weekend in town.
There was a Cat 320 parked up with exactly the same (obviously larger scale) thumb set up and Quick hitch with the shaped 'ears' on the bucket.
I really don't know how to put this without causing a rift across the Atlantic, but it does seem a somewhat agricultural set up compared to what we are used to over here!
However we don't use thumbs, and if that is how a Quick hitch needs to be configured to work with one then that's all good.

The angle blade is a fair piece of metal, but I have done many jobs where that would have saved some serious time.

Any Idea of the current full list price for a new machine with the Thumb and Angle blade?
I desperately wanted the two piece boom, but the price difference compared to standard was ridiculous even with Kubota UK trying to assist as the machine was going to be high profile.

I think your unit looks superb, and much prefer the Orange cab colour scheme you have.
It should prove a very versatile and popular machine for you.

I am not going to fuel the fire on the Takeuchi/Kubota debate as I have no issues with either.
I still maintain the TB175 is not a direct comparison in this type of machine and is not built to a premium specification.
The TB175 would go up against the Cat307 etc and the same conclusions would be reached.
They are superb machines at a slightly lesser cost, and the fit/finsh and detail are slightly less.

The lifting of a mulcher is not the only thing that most prospective purchasers would be buying a machine on.

I would end by saying If I was buying a machine to rent out, then it would be the Takeuchi every time but to use myself and if I coud justify the extra then I'd take the Kubota.

Hey Eddie, if you want to try out a machine with a thumb and you have some spare time in Vancouver itself then pm me, I have a kubota 161 with 300 hours on it with factory thumb installed sitting on a jobsite in town right now:)

Eddiebackblade

Dan, that is an extremely kind and tempting offer but we unfortunately only come back down that lunatic highway to return to the airport.

I will say that the whole 'Thumb' thing is quite fascinating as seriously and any other UK guys will back me up we just don't have them.
The closest thing we have are grapples, but obviously these are fixed and not in the same league.

I would love to see how yours is set up on the machine, and if the same quick hitch set up is used.
We only have 'pin grabber' types not this funny shaped ear idea on buckets.

I must add I used a KX161 for some 3 months and to be perfectly honest I have never used another machine where the phrase 'punching above it's weight' would be more appropriate.
They are absolutely superb machines capable of some serious work in a compact package.
I had a 5 tonne Bobcat for a few weeks after and despite being a strong performer seemed to have the tailswing of a 20 tonner!

Completely off topic, but where are you with the Olympics Dan?
Many people we have spoken to are completely underwhelmed and not looking forward to paying the bill for many years to come!

Digger Dan

My Thumb set-up is identical to the one in the pics above and the quick coupler is very similar with the exception of the pin to lock the bucket in place, mine has a wedge lock system which leaves less play or looseness in the connection. Both have their advantages though.

Once you get used to having a thumb you will never want to be without, they are just soo versatile and can help the machine do things that would be next to impossible without, tomorrow morning I have to load some concrete slabs in a dumptruck that are 6' x 5' x 12 inches thick, have the 18 inch bucket on there and can easily grab them with the thumb, not sure how I could load them without it being the size they are, if I get a chance I will take a video and show it working.

My machine is just 15 minutes of the highway to the airport if you do get a chance and want to play with it:drinkup

The Olympics have been great from a construction perspective and the legacy of the fine buildings and stadiums that we now have as a result and its great that we can host such a top notch event but yes the costs to us now and our children in the future will be a bit hard to swallow:(

Canadian_digger

Eddie. You can also get another kind of thumb that mounts on the stick that uses a different mounting pin that the bucket, this set up is not as good as the kind that uses the same pivot point as the bucket, But it does let you use any kind of pin grabber quick couple.

I think you guys in the UK should really try and get thumbs mounted on your excavators. You would have a real nice advantage over your competition !

Attachments

• cat thumb.jpg
    cat thumb.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 1,886
  • thumb 2.jpg
    thumb 2.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 1,784