• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kommunist Kat Pushes Hard

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
the mining company couldn't get the guys in the bush with snow shoes because the snow was so deep. so we went out with the KOMMUNIST KAT and did a little pushing. 2nd gear full throttle and what a push it was the snow was deep and heavy.

thansk

Attachments

• VMS plowing april 2 2007 002.jpg
    VMS plowing april 2 2007 002.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,210
  • VMS plowing april 2 2007 003.jpg
    VMS plowing april 2 2007 003.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,210
  • VMS plowing april 2 2007 016.jpg
    VMS plowing april 2 2007 016.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,215

Deere John

Occupation
Professional Forester
This year was pretty tame in North Bay Joey, but last year, we could have used your talents at plowing between the trees on our logging operation. We actually had to hire two small dozers to bullcook trails so the skidders could get to the trees in the 4 feet of snow that accumulated. The feller/bunchers, as heavy as they are, were having trouble, and the skidders could not even follow on the F/B tracks. Lots of broken axles, lots of broken chokers, and lots of frustrated operators. Grapple skidders had drier operators, but they had no way to release their load to walk the machines to less troublesome snow, so their operators spun and spun, backed up, moved over, spun some more, and were more prone to short fuses.

I grew up just outside of North Bay, at Jocko Point, and I remember trying to cobble a sleigh together with some foundling freighting skis that were abandoned and rotting across the road from the house. We put it together as good as 8 and 10 year olds could, and then were very disappointed that Jimmy-Jean, our hero of the period just up the road, would not pull them with his gas-powered JD bulldozer. He was just a wee bit crusty when it came to kids. Those things were super heavy. They are probably still there, 30 years later, as the lot is still undeveloped. I think the skis were parts of sleighs used in the 50's when the uranium mine on Newman Island, Lake Nipissing was being developed. Lots of material was moved across the ice. The head frame of that mine collapsed only two years ago. It was a feature on Lake Nipissing.

Anyway - I'm rambling - nice pictures.
Regards
John

oldhousehugger

Snow can be fun

Here are some pictures from one of my favorite snow cat companies. Seems like some of this technology may be leaking over into dozers as well.

Attachments

• winch_uphill.jpg
    winch_uphill.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 868
  • pisten bully julysmall.JPG
    pisten bully julysmall.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 864
  • 300W_image.jpg
    300W_image.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 881

surfer-joe

oldhousehugger. Is that downtown Dallas in the background in one of those pictures? It looks better in snow.........

oldhousehugger

Alas no Dallas in snow.

Actually last week we had flurries. First snow all winter (spring) April 10 I think.
Been in the 80's before that. Got 5 inches of rain in 3 hours the week before. At least the drought seems to have broken momentarily.
Oh Susana my a***