• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu PC75UU2 offset boom to std one piece boom

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
What you could do is have a spacer machined to install inside the cylinder on the rod.

Batkom

Yes I actually asked the hydraulic shop that put the new cylinder seals in to do that.
But they called after they had it apart and said due to the cylinders cushion design, it was going to be complicated.
I did not go and look at what they were talking about, happened to be out of town at the time. Took there word for it and told them to leave it as it was and just put the seals in.

John C.

Occupation
I hadn't thought of it having a cushion. Basically that is just something that blocks the hole for the oil to go through before the piston hits the end of the cylinder. I guess the slug might get in the way.

The other idea is to just cut off the eye and enough of the rod to shorten the stroke. The problem I had doing that is that it also shortens the stoke in the opposite direction. I'm sure you will figure out a way to make it not hit the barrel.

Batkom

EF1DCD39-8D1A-4D00-AC71-BE4A52337A44.jpeg Almost done welding
Preheated, 5 passes with .035 wire, 27 volts pulling 250 amps.
Burns in real nice.
Starts are seem little cold, but if you starts right on the edge that hot it all runs off - I do not claim to be a welding wizard!
Ground the ends/ starts all out and then welded across the ends with stick repositioned.
Will post finished pics Monday.

Pretty happy with how it came out.
Cylinder Barrel still touched just before cylinder bottom out, but, stick is curled to were the bucket will touch the bottom of the boom.
Not a place where you would normally curl to except when hauling.

Batkom

Yes I did.
It was missing when I bought it.
Built that last year right after I bought the machine.
Machine was a bit of a basket case cosmetically!
But the engine ran/ runs very strong and the hydraulic pump had just been replaced. None of the cylinders leaked externally, and all the under carriage was in good shape.
So figured for the money it was worth the effort to get it back in good operating condition.

John C.

Occupation
It looks pretty good from here. Did you get any pull when you welded the ears. Are you planning on line boring when you are through with the welding?

Batkom

Yep, it definitely pulled, that’s to be expected with that much weld in my experience!
Did not line bore.
Got out the big rosebud and some grade 8 all thread, hardened nuts and washers.
Heated the ears up along the weld lines a dull red and pulled them back in alignment till the pin dropped through.
Took three tries, but was much faster than setting up to bore.
As well I feel it’s good for the welds to post heat them, I think it helps prevent cracks/brittleness.

Batkom

20EDD658-4146-45F2-BB5F-A23A84F2CA04.jpeg Top picture is after adding 3 1/4 inches.
Bottom is before
Not the same angle, so hard to see exact differences
Hindsight- should have done 4 inches, that would have been perfect.
Certainly will be ok though, and MUCH better than before!43CD6EB4-E5DE-4D03-BB2A-2CB2AC275098.jpeg

Batkom

1EF8BBFB-64DA-4530-824B-4C2ABB614B8A.png 685D5286-68EF-4995-9D99-B4BE38E3613E.jpeg Finally found a grapple with rigid rotator I could justify buying! Spent the last week getting it plumbed and the mounting bracket manufactured.
So far really liking it for moving/stacking logs.

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
Nice job! I have a PC75UU that I would like to add a thumb too. How did you suppy hydraulics to the thumb you added?

Batkom

Thanks,
Added a solenoid operated selector valve to divert the side shift oil to the thumb. Have a switch in the cab to select wich function.
After I swapped booms I had that circuit available to run the grapple, and added another solenoid operated valve on the stick to divert oil to the rotator. This is activated with a momentary switch I installed in the top of the joy stick.
After using for a few hours it’s pretty smooth and quick, I would I believe prefer a trigger type switch though on the front of the joy stick.

Batkom

Built a new stinger so I can move my gooseneck trailers around without having to go get the truck.
Decided why not hang the logs in it from the grapple and limb right into the trailer, worked, but actually found it to be better just to set the log in the trailer, limb it n then remove the log.
Works slick!C95FE385-B3AF-4DC8-9F2E-68172239D330.jpeg