• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu PC45R-8 Weak boom

Yeats

I am thinking of buying a neighbours Komatsu PC45R-8 Excavator. He tells me the main boom cylinder is weak (but not the others). He has rebuilt the cylinder but has been told that is a most likely a valve problem and that the valve will cost over $1000 to fix. I know nothing about excavators but have a reasonable mechanical knowledge.
So, any ideas? What does it sound like?

Also, is there a way to stop oil from pouring out if I start dismantling valves/hoses. ie, when are things under pressure and what is the best way to relieve any pressure in the system? (I hope that makes sense!) Also, if I work on the hydraulics, do I have to bleed air from the system afterwards? How?

Aah, serious newbie alert siren going off here!

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
I have the exact same machine doing the same thing. Ill let you know what I find this winter. Or visa versa. Talked to a old kmartsu mechanic. Said if all the other functions are strong might be the pilot pressure but more than likely a poppet in the valve spool for that function.