1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Komatsu pc200-5 counterweight

Discussion in 'Excavators' started by davecampbell, Feb 13, 2020.

1. davecampbell

davecampbell Senior Member

Any idea how much it weighs? I scared myself bringing it down with my skid steer. Almost tipped forward with it right after I cleared the rails. Had to lower it FAST! I'm hanging 5 gal pails of water off the back in an attempt to reinstall it I'd like to get some lifting eyes for the future. Anyone know what thread size it takes to screw lifting eyes into the top of the weight? 20200213_131056.jpg 20200213_131056.jpg

2. Bls repair

Bls repair Senior Member

Equipment operator,mechanic
    How did you take it off?

3. davecampbell

I used the forks on my skid steer. But it was heavier than I realized. When I eased back it almost tipped me over forwards. I was forced to let it down real fast. I didnt hurt anything, but I want to make some lifting eyes to use for any future removal. Just too sketchy with the skid steer.

4. Bls repair

Bls repair Senior Member

Make a dirt ,stone ramp to the back of the machine a couple inches below where counter weight has to be set it down on boards and slide forks outfrom under counter weight. That way you only have to pick it a few inches and move a few inches to set it.

DARO likes this.
  5. davecampbell

That is a good idea. I just thought that since I have a 150 and a 200 that if I had lifting rings I could use one to pull the other when I needed to. It really strained my poor skid steer. I had to rev the motor up to get the hydraulics to lift it. I've searched the internet and can't find a weight on that thing. Sure felt heavy. I hung 3 5 gal pails of water off of the back of the skid steer so that I could get it hoisted back into position.

6. Bls repair

Bls repair Senior Member

B891409E-5A21-4EEE-BC59-3F94EE3915C1.png Something like this try McMaster-Carr

7. davecampbell

Yes, but I need to know what size thread and pitch to make sure they will screw into the bosses provided. I'm assuming it will be metric on a komatsu.

8. Bls repair

Bls repair Senior Member

Can you measure holes?

9. davecampbell

yes but I don't know how to account for the threads, I also don't have any way to measure thread pitch.

10. Bls repair

Bls repair Senior Member

You can buy a thread gauge ( Amazon,hardware store ,Lowe’s)

11. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    My book for a Dash 6 model shows the weight at 3,280 Kg of 7,216 for counterweight.

Why did you have to pull it? I've only ever seen one off when the machine came from the factory.

12. DK88

DK88 Senior Member

Field service tech.
    41mm heads
    3,400kg
    no spec for bolt size or pitch in book, not even in tooling list.

davecampbell and John C. like this.
  13. davecampbell

Thanks

14. davecampbell

I pulled it to fix an oil leak that turned out to be the gasket for the oil return from turbo.
    7216 lbs would be a problem alright! my skid steer is rated at 4000 lbs. pretty impressive that it lifted it back into place with 15 gals of water hanging off the back.

DK88 and John C. like this.