• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu Key's

Clayton M

Kinda a stupid question but anyway...

Does anyone have any idea if one Komatsu key works on every Komatsu? Some manufactures such as John Deere have different keys for different types of machines. I have a komatsu key and i was wondering if it worked on both Dozers and Excavators. It says on my key KOM 787.

Thanks !

CabbageThe1

I know that the key out of our Deere Grader works in our Deere Dozer witch is several years newer :beatsme

I worked with a lock smith for about 2 years and we had precut keys for all the different machine manufactures. When I asked my boss about it he said that they dont take the time to key every machine different so whenever someone needed a key cut/copied for a machine we would just hand them one of the precuts.

I dont know if that was of any help but just a little info.

SCOOPIT22

Occupation
Make Money
Maybe not all door locks

:beatsme I would say all ignitions maybe not all locks from my experience.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The 787 key is the Komatsu master key and fits all ignitions and almost all doors. You don't always get a 787 key with your machine. I have run into a couple of others. I have found 686 keys in dozers and heard of a couple of others.

Tony

Clayton,

Yes, your 787 key will fit all Komatsu ignitions except for the early WA65, WA75 and WA95 wheel loaders built in Germany. Other than those, you are good to go on any Komatsu with that 787 key.

Best,
Tony

Clayton M

Thanks that answers my question. I just didn't want to get to a job by myself and get stranded with out a key.

marslawn

Komatsu p35 R engine swap?

I picked up a pc35r the other day with a bad engine.....maybe.

Here is the history.

A couple years ago the owner of the machine took the air filter off and ran the machine for a couple days. The machine finally quit on him and he took it to a mechanic. The mechanic took the engine out and apart and had it all machined. The shop also tested the crank and said that it had hairline fractures in it. This is the point where the customer ran out of money. Fast forward 8 months and this is where I come in. The engine is now in a couple boxes:(

I started looking for parts and am having a harder time finding things. I also am noticing that parts are pretty pricey. So my idea was to put in a similar size Kubota or engine. I know anything is possible, but I am wonder has anyone done this?

Any and all comments are welcome!

Thanks

M

Panhandler Bob

Occupation
operator
E-BAY type in equipment keys in search All kinds of keys for sale from one single key to sets of 50 (different brands cat, deere, case, etc.)

ETMF 58 White

Sad story to tell about a Komatsu key. This happened to me today. I agreed to haul, with my nice haul truck, a Komatsu track loader that a nearby small quarry had bought from a used truck and equipment dealer in the next state over, about 30 miles over the line. About 250 mile haul one-way. But I had told them all that I could only do it on a Saturday, i.e., today. Okay, they said, it's all worked out. And the paperwork sent to me in advance said it weighs 38000 lbs., so I should be about 74500 lbs total.

So I arrived today to pick it up, and of course the Saturday guys at the dealer had no clue what was going on but did agree to load it after I talked them in to it. So they drove it on the RGN trailer and me having never even seen, hauled, or used one of these weird rear engined machines before, I had the guy place it a little over halfway back in the well. It looked like it would weigh more on the butt end so I guessed that would put the weight just about right on the drive axles. The guy loading said it won't matter, this thing only weighs about 35000 lbs. Yeah, right.

There were no scales anywhere in the area of this place, and the nearest Cat scales were across the state line but past the state weigh station. So I called the officer at the weigh station and told him my situation and asked him if he would let me axle it out when I got there, and that I should be 5000 or so under gross. He was nice and said that even though that's not really how it is supposed to work, he would try to help me. Okay, I said, I'll see you in an hour.

Upon arrival at the weigh station, yup, you guessed it, I'm over on the axles, but on the TRAILER, not the truck. And also I weigh 80200 lbs, not 75000. The officer said don't worry about the 200 lbs, just get out there in the parking area and move the machine on the trailer and get it close to right. So I unchain it, climb in the seat and---- NO KEY! I called back to the dealer and the guy said I could just short across the starter and it would start. So I did, and yes it started, but it wouldn't move. So I called the dealer back and the guy said " well, sorry, I guess it won't release the brakes without the key on. And I only have one Komatsu key here and I'm not bringing it to you and I'm closing at noon in ten minutes and going home."

No other dealers in the area were open on Saturday for me to buy a key. I didn't know a single contractor in the area to go borrow one. I called a guy about 50 miles away that I knew and he said he had a key but he was out of town so that idea struck out. The guy at the quarry who bought the machine was totally miffed by this time and said he didn't have a key either and said that even if I were legal on my weights we would have had no way to get it off the trailer when I got there. So bottom line is we are both miffed at the guy at the dealer for sending a machine out without a key; the quarry guy has no leverage on the dealer because he's already paid for it, and I'm mad at myself for not checking it before I left since I knew it was a possibility I would have to move it to axle out.

Bottom line, I bobtailed halfway home and met my wife in her car to bring me home. Monday morning I'll have to get her to take me halfway back, find a key on the way, then bobtail back to my stranded trailer and see if I can get it all situated correctly. I just hope that having a key to turn the power on will release the brakes. Oh, yeah, I got a warning ticket from the weight cop and they're not gonna let me go until I get it axled out.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
That's a helluva pickle ETMF, but some (respectfully) friendly advice, if you're going to hire out your truck/trailer to haul machines for others (dealers, individuals), invest in a master key set, because you will run across this more than once, a machine on your trailer with no key regardless of the reasons why. There will be countless reasons why, but you're the bloke with a machine planted on your trailer. You can get a master key set from Depco. > http://www.depcoparts.com/index.php

norite

Like Willie59 said if you are hauling other peoples equipment, you need to have a set of equipment keys. I hire floats occasionally and the first thing I ask is if the driver has an equipment key for my machine and is capable of starting, loading, securing and unloading the machine. That way I need not have someone there to do it which saves me time and money.

I don't like to leave a key with the machine, even hidden, so kids, vandals or thieves don't have easy access.

Last edited:

ETMF 58 White

You can bet that I'll take willie's and norite's advice and not get caught in this situation again. The whole idea of doing a little outside hauling to help justify this nice haul rig won't work if I make these kinds of screw-ups doing it. Thanks for the tips.