• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu Excavator hydraulic issue

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
OK ,so I understand this correctly, You put a flow meter in the system and then cranked the valve on the flow meter in to get 2800PSI on the gauge and ran things that way until system was warm. Is that correct?
So everyone else knows a little more about the system I'll put some more information here. The system is CLSS which mean closed center load sensing system. Basically the pump output is set to be about 300 PSI higher than the oil leaving the control valve going to a function. Once the pump pressure and the load sensing (LS) pressure are the same the pump is at minimum stroke. There is no such thing as "Standby Pressure" in the Komatsu systems. In essence in normal operating mode the main relief very rarely ever opens. The only time it will open is when the power up function is operated. There is a button on the left control handle that when pushed will max out the flow of the pump and raise main relief pressure to a higher point. When you put the machine in travel you also get the higher flow and raised main relief pressure. The other way to apply this is to set the swing brake and operate the swing in either direction. Komatsu actually recommends setting the swing brake and operating the swing for several minutes in the morning before putting the machine to work, just to warm up the oil.

Back to the current issue. You only have one pump running the whole machine in this size range. I don't know where you are testing LS pressure from but that reading you are stating is wrong. If there was that much difference between LS pressure and pump discharge pressure the engine would be dragged to a complete stop. What your problem sounds to me like is that the TVC pressure has drifted down some. It is not a pressure that you can plug a gauge into and read. If you look at the photo you posted and see the fitting I spoke of with the paint knocked off it. Behind that fitting is a bulbous looking connection, basically a banjo type bolt. That is where you adjust TVC at on this particular pump. Loosen the nut holding the bulb tight just enough that you can turn the fitting and hose attached to it. Underneath that is a lock nut holding what is actually a bolt adjuster that is the center part going through the bulb. Mark where the bolt is at currently so you can go back if it doesn't work when you adjust it. Going in will increase pump output. I usually worked them in half flat increments because it doesn't take much to start dragging down the engine. You don't want to draw the engine down much more than 150 RPM under full load. I usually adjusted the bolt with the engine shut down and then tested operation. I have done them when running but sometimes it will blow one of the O rings in the banjo fitting.
Good Luck and let us know what you find.

EEHYD

The book called it something else I tested the LS on the top of the pump where I have the gauge port as directed by the book then got the system pressure from the top of the valve just off center. Both fittings are 12x1.25 and not that I am saying your wrong at all I just followed the book on testing the Differential on the LS and it’s way off I don’t get how the LS can be lower than the working pressure? Also I would like to come up with a way to test the pump with the flow meter can I turn this pump in to a pressure comp system? Also I had 13 seconds on 3 revolutions of the track with hot oil.

John C.

Occupation
I think most all of the pump adjusting stuff was written so that it couldn't be understood and the locations of the gauge ports had to be experimented with. After messing with trying to figure out LS pressure for a couple of years I got where I didn't care what it was as long as I had good feel on the controls. That adjustment I told you of sets pump absorption torque. The travel issue originally described indicates to me that the output of the pump has backed of slightly and is de-stroking too soon.

EEHYD

I think most all of the pump adjusting stuff was written so that it couldn't be understood and the locations of the gauge ports had to be experimented with. After messing with trying to figure out LS pressure for a couple of years I got where I didn't care what it was as long as I had good feel on the controls. That adjustment I told you of sets pump absorption torque. The travel issue originally described indicates to me that the output of the pump has backed of slightly and is de-stroking too soon.
It only losses power after its hot

EEHYD

so i have tested the pump it is in perfect working order, i did find out that i have 13 gpm going from the pump to the valve at 550 psi. this is with no functions being used just starting up. as i heat up the oil the pressure port and suction become hot, the only other thing that gets hot, is the top end plate on the valve. where could 13 gpm be going?

John C.

Occupation
That 13 gallons is minimum flow from the pump. It fills the valve and load sense piping and goes through the cooler or directly back to the tank. I don't remember for sure exactly which way for sure.

Carl03

help! how to disable lock engine function?
komatsu pc200-8N1

it shows error code D19JKZ and we've already checked all harness and fuses. they're all okay.
the engine won't start but cranking, just wont continue

John C.

Occupation
Do you know how to get into the diagnostics? Have you checked the essentials first? Air filter, fuel water separator and fuel filters. I don't have a complete list of Dash 8 codes so can't help you there. Someone should be able to help.

Carl03

Do you know how to get into the diagnostics? Have you checked the essentials first? Air filter, fuel water separator and fuel filters. I don't have a complete list of Dash 8 codes so can't help you there. Someone should be able to help.
yes. checked all essentials and even calibrated the injectors yet the same code keeps appearing on the monitor. D19JKZ