• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu D65E-8

shopguy

Tell me how the adjust / replace the brakes on a 65 e are they bands ,disk , pads or what . The left pedal does not do anything but the right has 1/2 pedal . I understand that it works like the old cats (lever is steering clutch & pedal is brake) ? Also what is the lever under the seat with the red knob ?I know that i should Know this but Komy 65's are a new one on me. Thanks

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
It's been awhile but as I recall the brake adjust is exactly like on any D8H or K model Cat. Look at the back of the machine and there should be caps on each side under the fuel tank. Each cap has three bolts. Remove the cap and you will see a bolt head sticking up. You adjust that to the clockwise to tighten the brake band. The bands are also the same as a Cat. To replace the bands you have to pull the fuel tank and then the cover above the brake in question. I seem to remember that there is a pin under the cover that has to be removed that is not like the Cat but I don't remember that part for sure. The clutch has to come out with the brake band.

Also as I recall, the lever under the seat controls a pawl that holds the brake pedals down when you want to park the machine. I could be wrong about that though. I'm sure someone will correct me when I'm wrong.

Good Luck!