• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

komatsu d65e-6 steering problem

brads komatsu

hi everybody Im new to this forum, just purchased a 79model d65e-6 with some issues to fix, the tractor moves forward and reverse and all three gear shifts but when you pull on left hand clutch lever and apply brake pedal the tractor stops dead and doesnt move and if you pull hard and stand on pedal it gets a pumping motion on the pedal??? tractor turns to the right with no problems at all, I have pulled the filter and the oil has that metallic sheen to it but no signs of chunky metal will i be looking at the steering clutch packs or brake bands?? waiting on a shop manual from komatsu australia before i open this can of worms, any help will be appreciated thanks

Don Shilling

Occupation
Retired, multi occupation
Thanks dave, i will have to buy a test gauge hopefully find one in small town i live in, what sort of pressure reading am i looking for?
Brad, be careful with that test port plug. Komatsu uses the JIS metric threads and fittings. JIC won't work.

Dave Neubert

You are right it is a pipe plug and you can get a 1/8 nipple in there but only by a few threads It is like a metric pipe

brads komatsu

Thanks guys for the heads up about test port, spent the weekend cleaning and began dismantling , going in to steer clutches, brake pads have about 1/4 inch of pad left and hydraulic control valve has checked out ok after dismantling and inspecting, unfortunatly back to work so next weekend will get clutchs out, thanks

hitmix300

Thanks guys for the heads up about test port, spent the weekend cleaning and began dismantling , going in to steer clutches, brake pads have about 1/4 inch of pad left and hydraulic control valve has checked out ok after dismantling and inspecting, unfortunatly back to work so next weekend will get clutchs out, thanks
did you get this dozer fixed? where did you get the parts i am working on a 78