• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu D57S-1 Head gasket seep

chidog

I will have to pull all the shafts out. If I have to do that wouldn't I have to mark all the gears so they mesh up the same when it goes back together? Thanks.
There should be marks stamped on the gears already? And you have to remove all the parts to clean and check things properly. If the pressed in bearings are in good shape you likely can keep them in.

tctractors

The cost of this engine repair will soon put that Shovel in a place where you will be very unhappy as its not going to be something you will get your coins returned, I did say they are like the " Black Spot" off Israel Hands in the U.K. plus the fact the mystery item is still a mystery?? so far the Cylinder Head has been dropped off, the injector pump has also been dropped off and don't forget to tell them to replace the throttle spindle bushings and O rings, but as for taking rods etc to be dropped off some place, well unless you are $$$$ rotten you will soon be skint, the D57S is an old Shovel with a value of its weight and a bit, you might have to learn to love this Shovel for a long time.

James Sorochan

Occupation
x-water & sewer construction Now farmer.
Thanks Chidog. I'll make sure the marks are noted. tctractors. I'm don't understand the " Black Spot "
comment. Can you elaborate please. Scrape price not including my labour and equipment to break the machine apart would be a few thousand dollars at best. I may have to keep the machine. I'm good with that. The gentleman working on the injection pump has been doing it for 46 years so I believe he will check and rebuild it properly. Up to this point I believe the mystery thrust washer inadvertently feel into the oil pan last time the engine was opened up back in 1997. I'll keep looking though in case I am wrong here. Thanks for your comment.

tctractors

The "Black Spot" comes from a Book called Treasure Island and was a folded message delivered by Blind Pugh, let's just say getting the Black Spot was something you would rather not want, to say the mysterious object is from something that had the nerve to drop in I find hard to understand, you need to put good effort into locating it's home, as for the injection pump the parts are scarce now and cost plenty, a weak spot is the throttle spindle, anything fuel pump is a big spend, best of luck.

Truck Shop

Well lets see---A mystery piece, can't seem to find it's place in the rotating mass. Injection pump
parts located across the water,---At this point the prudent thing is get all information & prices
on total of engine then ask your self is it worth it.
Because now---you have been handed a folded piece of paper--The dreaded Black Spot.

tctractors

Well lets see---A mystery piece, can't seem to find it's place in the rotating mass. Injection pump
parts located across the water,---At this point the prudent thing is get all information & prices
on total of engine then ask your self is it worth it.
Because now---you have been handed a folded piece of paper--The dreaded Black Spot.
In the U.K if a customer asked me to rebuild this 4 cylinder D57S engine I would want to see the money first, the 6 cylinder D57 is still well liked but very scarce to now find, the drive shaft coupling is another area of fun as its now in the Hens Teeth area and they love to crack open, Komatsu equipment lacks the support with its older built kit, the D65 dash 6 to dash 8 have parts that can be found but anything else is a Drama.