1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Komatsu d41-s3 and stump pulling

Discussion in 'Track Loaders (NOT CTL)' started by Voodooburner, Aug 25, 2022.

1. Voodooburner

Voodooburner Active Member

Machine weighs 28,000lbs, if I put a root rake in place of the bucket (or if there is an attachment to go on the bucket) how well will this machine do pulling pine stumps? First machine ever, no idea what I am doing other than having fun

2. Tags

Tags Senior Member

How big are the pine stumps, how many pine stumps, and what’s the ground like where you are located? Does the bucket have teeth on it? Could you do it, yes, will it be efficient, probably not, but that doesn’t really matter if all you have is time and this is a project you are going to nibble away at.

Cat977 likes this.
  3. Cat977

Cat977 Senior Member

Machinist/Millwright
    Most root rakes are made to deal with the roots that are leftover after pulling the stumps I believe.

4. Voodooburner

that is what I was afraid of. A lot of youngish pines in GA red clay. I need to clear some fields

5. Cat977

Cat977 Senior Member

Machinist/Millwright
    Wet clay is real slippery on the surface. What you want is moist soil down deep with the roots, with a dry surface for traction. The more sticking out of the ground the easier it is. Keep the whole tree and cut the stump off latter. For short ones push em maybe bounce off em a couple times to loosen them. Hook the teeth of the bucket on them, lifting may work but curling maybe better. Try and cut up the roots close to you before trying the curling maybe. Messing with dead trees is dangerous work, actually anything over head is dangerous.

skyking1 and Tags like this.
  6. Voodooburner

Currently the trees are alive. I can have them cut and get some cash. The stumping is $$$$$$. Hate to just push the trees over and burn them

7. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

does it have a winch? if so, you can fab up a rear stump splitter and use the winch to work it. split stumps are cake to take out, compared to whole ones.
    stump-splitter.jpeg

Tags and Cat977 like this.
  8. Voodooburner

9. Voodooburner

I am confused at how that stump splitter works

10. Cat977

Cat977 Senior Member

Machinist/Millwright
    What dia. are the big ones? What dia. are most of them? How many acres?

11. Cat977

Cat977 Senior Member

Machinist/Millwright
    Skyking's stump splitter goes on the back of the machine making it easy to see what you're doing. In front you can't see over the hood. The winch maybe for picking it up to put it on. If you have a way of putting it on. I like the idea!

12. Tags

Tags Senior Member

I think you mount it on the back of the machine, hook the winch cable to the log and drag it into the splitter to split the log or stump?

Welder Dave likes this.
  13. Voodooburner

24” in diameter is probably the largest there are a lot of much smaller 6-8” almost all pines. Area is pretty thick with them though

14. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

The splitter hinges at the bottom and then you hook the winch cable to it so you can pick it up out of your way when you're not using it it just picks up against the back of the machine.
    It works best when you have a winch with a fair lead so it's up higher.
    Because it's adjustable you can split stumps above you a little bit or below you a little bit.

Cat977 likes this.
  15. CM1995

CM1995 Administrator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    The little loader should handle 6-8" SYP stumps in GA clay with a little effort. 24" is going to take you a while, might want to pack a lunch.:D

Just a suggestion - can you cut all the timber, collect the money, clear the small stumps and leave the larger ones? Let the large ones set a couple of years and clear them later? 2' on the stump is worth a dollar or two.

Cat977 and Jonas302 like this.
  16. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

That's a good idea. Around here at least pines lose their structural integrity a lot quicker than fir and hemlock stumps. They all lose their integrity a lot faster than cedars lol.

17. Voodooburner

That isn’t the worst idea I have heard. Time to talk to the forester
    again