• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu d39

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Going to need full identification. Should probably be a dash number with that D39 and a serial number and year of manufacture would help.

Model number is d39p-1
Serial number is 4750002p095835
The machine is strong pushing but unless you are pushing something or back dragging the blade it’s hard to steer. It’s like the clutches are releasing but the brakes are not holding

Voodooburner

D41 brake adjustment is on the back, remove the little covers, tighten the band bolts to a specific torque I don't remember then install the covers

FWD

D39P-1 is the sane as a Dresser TD9-H. On the frame above the final drive it looks like a stud, but a small hex head on it and a large locknut. You may have to scrape dirt and or mud away to find it. On the so called stud there should be a few threads showing, if not the brakes are shot. To tighten the brakes, you need to loosen that lock nut and then you tighten the smaller hex head.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Komatsu made their own D39 models in the seventies, eighties and nineties. When they took over the Dresser line which was the IH line they kind of married the two together. At any rate I think the D39 Komatsu dozer became a rebadged Dresser TD9. That's the reason I asked for a serial number. The number given is the type of number I'm familiar with as being the old Dresser serial number system. I believe FWD has it correct that your machine is likely the Dresser and his description of the steering adjustment is probably the correct one.

FWD

I looked at pictures of 2 D39P-1 dozers on Machinery Trader and they definetely look like a TD9-H except for the superstructure. D38 of that vintage is mostly a TD8-H.
FWD

D39P-1 is the sane as a Dresser TD9-H. On the frame above the final drive it looks like a stud, but a small hex head on it and a large locknut. You may have to scrape dirt and or mud away to find it. On the so called stud there should be a few threads showing, if not the brakes are shot. To tighten the brakes, you need to loosen that lock nut and then you tighten the smaller hex head.
Thank you I will have to go give that a look and see