• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu D31P

kospiller

First post but been lurking for awhile now and learning a whole lot. I am looking to buy a dozer in the 75 hp range. Never owned a dozer but I have a tractor and backhoe that I use to maintain my 160 acres that was partially logged of planted pines and now has some growth of brush up to about 4"-6" that I want to clean up and burn.

I am currently looking at a Komatsu D31P machine, 1984 model with 4100 hours on it. Plan on going to look at it soon. I would like to hear any particulars I should look for. The seller said it has 3 bad rollers that he has purchased but not installed. What kind of job am I looking at to install the rollers?

I have seen other Komatsu's that have more numbers after the D31P like -17 and -21. Can anyone tell me how to interpret these numbers and offer any good sites for research on these machines?

Thanks

g_man

Occupation
Retired
I was in similar shoes two years ago. The absolute best thing you can do is bring someone who knows dozers and undercarriage assesment with you when you go check it out. Someone who nows how to operate so you get a reasonable test on it. Don't rush into it. Make sure you can get parts. The rollers may be just the tip of the iceberg. I was told if I did not bring someone knowledgeable that I should figure on spending another possible 8k to 10k when negotiating price unless you have a very good reason to fully trust the seller. That may seem high but parts add up quickly and labor quicker. If you ever work on one you will understand why. Good luck.

JimInOz

The roller change will require taking the rock guards off.
If the dozer is fitted with swamp plates,you'll need to work out if the swamp tracks are what's needed for your job.They are great in soft conditions,but nearly useless when pushing on solid ground .

g_man

Occupation
Retired
Getting rock guards off can be tough. A whole bunch of frozen in bolts threaded up into the track frame. Four rows of them. Two on the outside and two inside and underneath. Plus the cross bolts and spacers. For me the rock guards were the hardest part when I changed my track chains, sprockets, and rollers. You will need a torch and a strong impact wrench and some luck that you don't break any off.
It is doable just be ready for alot of work. Then it is the same deal with the roller bolts which break easier because they are longer and smaller diameter.

Last edited:

Diddley

The -17 -21 etc are only series numbers. Primarily changes and redesigns with newer series (engine/powertrain/electronics upgrades etc)
I'm assuming the -21 is only for example when you are talking about the d31P as it it only available (only speaking of D31's) in the D31EX and D31PX.
If you have any further info (the -# and serial number) I can easily answer any further questions you have and have an easier time providing detailed information while doing so.
Hope the info helps a bit