• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu D21A fail to start

Dennis M

I parked my D21 for about two weeks and when I came back to put it back to work it would not start, cranks over just fine but not a wisp of smoke from the exhaust. Obviously a lack of fuel to the engine so to make a long story short it is getting plenty of fuel out of the filter and makes it all the way to the injector pump inlet but that's it, I can open the lines coming out of the pump going to the injectors and get nothing not even a dribble. This dozer was running just fine when I last shut it down but now two weeks later when I attempted to start it I am getting plenty of fuel to the injector pump but ZERO fuel to the injectors. I suspect a failure of the shut-down/fuel cut-off in the pump maybe??? Any suggestions on what to do next?

I am fairly sure the actual pump itself should be OK but with the shut-down/fuel cut-off being an integral part of the pump body and actuated internally by the throttle lever (no electric shut-off solenoid or separate shut off lever) I am not sure how to even check this, of course at this point I am simply guessing at the problem. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Dennis M

Dozer, D21A-6 serial 72767

Pump, unfortunately some of the numbers on the pump have been damaged and are unreadable,

Upper left on the pump tag, 6202-72-1211

near center of the pump tag, 101452-31?? (last two digits too badly damaged)

Under that number is a complete number, 172P205011

There are a series of much smaller digits also stamped into the plate but some were stamped partially overlapping the others and are very difficult to make out but I might be able to do so by using a magnifier to enlarge the digits enough to make sense of them if these are important.

Dennis M

Yep it shuts down with the throttle pushed past idle. I am thinking that's where the problem might be, although that's just a guess, I am thinking that based on the fact it was running just fine with no sign of trouble when the engine was last shut down. Then it sat for a bit less than two weeks and when an attempt was made to start it the trouble began, as I mentioned before it cranks normally but not a wisp of smoke comes from the pipe. Following the fuel from the tank to the FI pump inlet port there is apparently nothing wrong and a good supply of clean fuel is reaching the pump but it stops at the pump, cracking the injector lines does nothing as there is not so much as a dribble of fuel coming from the pump at any of the line connections..

Krackerjack9

Occupation
working in Iraq right now
I would check the throttle, maybe the linkage skipped the indent so when you have it pulled back its not full pulled back past the indent mine did that about a year ago same thing crank crank no start so by accident I pulled back father for something and wholaa fired right up, another thing to check is that manual pump but yours may not have it or maybe they all have it, sometimes mine gets loose and it starts to have a slight miss to the motor im guessing its sucking air thur there all I due is give 1/2 to 3/4 of turn and its purring like a sewing machine

Krackerjack9

Occupation
working in Iraq right now
Had a neighbor who does odd jobs for people for some extra $$ I due the same thing, he called me up and was wondering if the dozer could move a 40ft overseas connex, hmmm I thought well those weigh in about 10200 empty and the lady told him there was some furniture and other things in there so I said all we can due is try and it will move it or not. Ground was solid clay/caliche so I knew I get good traction. Put 2 chains and hooked them up pulled the throttle to 3/4 power and eased the clutch and just like we were off, I was really surprised how easily it pulled it. We got hung up one time sort of mound of ground that the front dug into but just repositioned the dozer and spun the tracks for about 3 seconds and we were off again, mow making turns I had to only use one chain on the corner and get the dozer pointed the right way and it go. tried turning it with the levers but one track was not enough to pull it around so eaiser to just reposition and hook the one chain and we were good to go. I got a good bee story but that's for another time.