• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu D21a-7 steering clutch

Don Shilling

Occupation
Retired, multi occupation
My bad, I had read an article stating that when installing new clutches you did not have to adjust the yoke stud. (steering valve assembly)? Anyway, stud was not pushing clutches to disengage. Made some adjustments and works perfect. Now I just need mother nature to get the frost out of the ground up here so I can have some fun.
Thx again.
It sure is nice when things come together. I spent today pushing up small trees and making burn piles. When all the burning is done I'll start pushing dirt and contouring the area to turn it back into hay production.

nefarious

Considering the prices, I took another look at the brake drums. After beadblasting and polishing on the lathe, I saved several hundred dollars!
I used a portable 21" belt sander to dress the outside surface. All the internal teeth were perfect.
3Gqme0.jpg
Hey Don, what grit was on that belt sander? Great thread, your pictures
are awesome, saved me from guessing what the heck my manual picture was trying to depict. Thanks for all your time and knowledge.
Jb

Don Shilling

Occupation
Hey Don, what grit was on that belt sander? Great thread, your pictures
are awesome, saved me from guessing what the heck my manual picture was trying to depict. Thanks for all your time and knowledge.
Jb
I believe that was a used 100 grit.

Don Shilling

Occupation
dose anyone know the trick or how to get the cover back on the steering clutches?? For the life of me I can figure it out
All components have to be assembled on the cover before lowering it in place. Notice section #3 of this post to get an idea. As you lower the cover into position, use a long screwdriver to attach the brake band. You MUST be able to suspend the cover about 1 inch while you attach the brake band to the adjuster. Otherwise, it can be a real bitch to accomplish.

Krackerjack9

Occupation
working in Iraq right now
well on mine that dang seat bracket is in the way and another bracket just above the battery area is in the way as well, I have to turn it somewhat to get it to clear and at best I got a 1/2in , been trying to put pin/bolt in first then push thur the hole and attach the addjustment nut but the back part of the clutch band is not engadge by that keeper thing i think i might try some elmers glue to possibly hole in place or some zip ties but so far no luck at all
IMG_3989[1].JPG

Don Shilling

Occupation
well on mine that dang seat bracket is in the way and another bracket just above the battery area is in the way as well, I have to turn it somewhat to get it to clear and at best I got a 1/2in , been trying to put pin/bolt in first then push thur the hole and attach the addjustment nut but the back part of the clutch band is not engadge by that keeper thing i think i might try some elmers glue to possibly hole in place or some zip ties but so far no luck at all
View attachment 257950
The adjusting bolt should be assembled in the top cover. When you lower the top, you must engage the bolt cross pin into the brake band hooks.

Krackerjack9

Occupation
working in Iraq right now
I can get eveything to line up but as soon as I get it all in place and go to pull on the arm its rock solid it wont move, had Komatsu come out the guy tried this and that and kept running into the same problem either we couldnt get it to catch or we get it all hooked up but you cant tell untill you bolt it down and pull on the arm and it either fells wrong compared to the other side or its rock hard wont move at all, Paid $1100 for 4hrs and he would have stayed longer but he didnt have anyother ideas on what to due, said he call around on Monday to the other shops and see if anyone had every worked on one of these and might now how to due it, printed out the repair manual for that section but it didnt help at all

Don Shilling

Occupation
I can get eveything to line up but as soon as I get it all in place and go to pull on the arm its rock solid it wont move, had Komatsu come out the guy tried this and that and kept running into the same problem either we couldnt get it to catch or we get it all hooked up but you cant tell untill you bolt it down and pull on the arm and it either fells wrong compared to the other side or its rock hard wont move at all, Paid $1100 for 4hrs and he would have stayed longer but he didnt have anyother ideas on what to due, said he call around on Monday to the other shops and see if anyone had every worked on one of these and might now how to due it, printed out the repair manual for that section but it didnt help at all
Well, I don't know. When I assembled mine I put the adjusting nut on with only 2 threads. With the top cover suspended and free to move a bit, I was able to visibly engage the adj bolt onto the brake band and then lower the cover in place. I had a come along supporting the cover.