• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Koehring Bantam 266-C pedal sticking

razerface

Hi,,I have purchased a Bantam 266-C to dig my basement, driveway, road thru woods, ect. I plan to sell after I'm done with these projects.

Everything is ok until we found 1 problem. This machine has the "stick" controls and "bucket curl" on floor pedals. When bringing stick in, at the last of the travel, the pedal sticks down,, and you must STOMP the "out" pedal to unstick it. While it is stuck, it drags rpm way down,,as expected, but does not kill engine.

This excavator sat for 2 yrs. We did not get it to stick while testing function before purchasing,,,,,,,,naturally :)

Any suggestions for fix? I'm guessing a valve?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Could be the centering spring mechanism on the backside of the valve, could be linkage/pivots. Disconnect the linkage where it connects to the valve spool, then see how free the pedal is. If it's still sticky or stiff to move, you've got a rusty linkage or linkage pivot problem.

razerface

Could be the centering spring mechanism on the backside of the valve, could be linkage/pivots.

Pedals seem to work easy when machine not running. I will disconnect linkage to be sure though.

Is this "centering" spring mechanism external, or inside valve?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Pedals seem to work easy when machine not running.

Huh???

Mind you, I haven't worked on one of these, but that sounds weird. I was thinking the machine might have linkage controls as opposed to hyd pilot operated controls because hyd pilot controls generally don't have "sticking" problems. Can you give us a little more description of how the controls and pedals work the valves?

razerface

Huh???

Can you give us a little more description of how the controls and pedals work the valves?

The pedals are on linkage as you say. They go thru the floor to a swivel point. There they are connected by adjustable linkage to a long rod which goes back to the valve,,maybe 6-7 feet back.

When I say the pedals seem to work easy when machine is not running,,,,I meant they will not stick when pressed to the floor,,,they come right back up. So I assume it is a hyd problem as they only stick when machine is running.

When you press the left pedal,,it forces the right pedal back up,,since they both cannot be down at the same time,,,,,,but when it sticks,,,you must literally "STOMP" hard on the opposing pedal to make the other unstick and return upwards.

If it makes any difference,, the pedal that sticks is the one that makes the "stick" come toward the operator. The pedal to extend the "stick" does not stick(so far).

handtpipeline

Occupation
Utility Contractor
Sounds like the spool is sticking under hydraulic pressure for some reason. We used to have a 451 (predacessor to the 166) with the same controls. Left outside pedal stick out, inside stick in, right outside pedal bucket dump, inside pedal bucket curl, right stick boom, and left stick swing. Then travel levers beside the seat. I don't remember ever having them stick, of course by the time I started running it, everything was so worn out on it that it had miles of slack. You had to practically be an octapus to get the thing on or off a trailer. My 266 has the long joystick type levers, that come out of the floor, and travel pedals.

handtpipeline

Occupation
Utility Contractor
here's the 2 machines. I still have the 266.

Attachments

• scan065001.jpg
    scan065001.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,085
  • scan045001.jpg
    scan045001.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,220

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
The pedals are on linkage as you say. They go thru the floor to a swivel point. There they are connected by adjustable linkage to a long rod which goes back to the valve,,maybe 6-7 feet back.

When I say the pedals seem to work easy when machine is not running,,,,I meant they will not stick when pressed to the floor,,,they come right back up. So I assume it is a hyd problem as they only stick when machine is running.

When you press the left pedal,,it forces the right pedal back up,,since they both cannot be down at the same time,,,,,,but when it sticks,,,you must literally "STOMP" hard on the opposing pedal to make the other unstick and return upwards.

If it makes any difference,, the pedal that sticks is the one that makes the "stick" come toward the operator. The pedal to extend the "stick" does not stick(so far).

Well that certainly is a wacky problem you got there razerface! I would sure like to know the components of the machine. How does it "make the other pedal come up since they both can't be down at the same time"? Never seen anything quite like this problem, I curious as to what's causing it.

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
Since we're on the topic of Bantams here's a picture of the one I used to have before the ex made me sell it :Banghead... And coincidentally it had the same problem except on mine the pedal would get stuck in the out position... I never did get a chance to fix it... I sure wish I still had it! It was old, slow, about as worn as it gets, but had good power and best of all I got it on trade for a small load of lumber! Atco, on my machine, and I'm pretty sure it's the same on his as well, the two pedals were connected to opposite sides of a shaft so that when one went down the other would go up, and then would go back to the valve bank via a long rod. Clear as mud I hope, I'm not very good at 'splainin how things work...

Attachments

• IM000047.jpg
    IM000047.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,052
  • IM000570.jpg
    IM000570.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,069
  • IM001187.JPG
    IM001187.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 1,214
  • IM002754.jpg
    IM002754.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 1,102
  • IM003360.jpg
    IM003360.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 1,300

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Since we're on the topic of Bantams here's a picture of the one I used to have before the ex made me sell it :Banghead... And coincidentally it had the same problem except on mine the pedal would get stuck in the out position... I never did get a chance to fix it... I sure wish I still had it! It was old, slow, about as worn as it gets, but had good power and best of all I got it on trade for a small load of lumber! Atco, on my machine, and I'm pretty sure it's the same on his as well, the two pedals were connected to opposite sides of a shaft so that when one went down the other would go up, and then would go back to the valve bank via a long rod. Clear as mud I hope, I'm not very good at 'splainin how things work...

Great post spitzair.

"before the ex made me sell it." Now there's a phrase that'll put a burr under yer saddle! :D

I haven't worked on any of the Ko-ring hoes, seen plenty around in my life, just haven't worked on one. That's interesting you had the same/similar problem. I wish I knew more about the components on these rigs. I want to know what is causing this.

D5G

Great pics guys, I love seeing the old Koehrings!

handtpipeline, any more pics of the 266? its a gem!

handtpipeline

Occupation
Utility Contractor
yep

Attachments

• scan042001.jpg
    scan042001.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,179
  • scan070001.jpg
    scan070001.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 1,249

razerface

Well that certainly is a wacky problem you got there razerface! I would sure like to know the components of the machine. How does it "make the other pedal come up since they both can't be down at the same time"?

I will be getting greasy this week end I guess,,if the rain holds off and lets me thru the mud,,learning exactly how this all works :) I should know how those pedals work when I'm done.

spitzair,,, were you gonna work on the spool valve to fix yours?

Mine is a twin to the last pic above except I think my tracks are wider. Dirt looks same color as machine!

Last edited:

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
Razerface, I had planned to open it up and look to see what the problem was but it wasn't really that big an issue for me so I never got around to it... I kept thinking it was likely a broken return spring... As an aside I found a C366 during my travels last week but never got a chance to stop and take pictures of it... That's a nice machine you have there handtpipeline!

handtpipeline

Occupation
Utility Contractor
thanks handtpipeline!:drinkup That machine is a true beauty.

We bought the 451 new in '73, then the 266 new in '78. The 266 still looks about the same, except it's been sitting in a field for about 10 yrs, and someone vandelized the dash.

dozerdave

Hi razerface,

I had the same problem one time but with a G1000 Gradall. It was the control valve body for the swings and the night shift mechanics said they used a wheel cylinder hone to clean up the valve body bore.

razerface

Hi razerface,

I had the same problem one time but with a G1000 Gradall. It was the control valve body for the swings and the night shift mechanics said they used a wheel cylinder hone to clean up the valve body bore.

hey Dave, that could be good info,,thanks. I went out and looked for the valve. It is pretty easy to get to for working on. May put some wrenches to it this weekend. Was your bore scarred, corroded, ridged, or something else?

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
Ok, I just need to say this, can we get some pictures please? That would help us to understand this a bit better.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
hey Dave, that could be good info,,thanks. I went out and looked for the valve. It is pretty easy to get to for working on. May put some wrenches to it this weekend. Was your bore scarred, corroded, ridged, or something else?

Easy now guys, be very easy with this. And I'm not saying it wasn't a proper fix for dozerdave, I'm just saying be gentle doing this. The tollerance's between a valve spool and the valve body bore is very very close. If the bore is too large, by mere thousandths, you'll have excessive internal leakage that will affect function performance and generate heat. You would only want to hone the bore if you knew for sure this was a problem. And even then...very carefully. ;)