• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Koehring 405 drum swap

GOOG

I recently started to do these pond clean outs with a dragline. I've done three ponds and have three to do. I've been running a Bucyrus Erie 30 B, which I really like. I also have a Koehring 405. It's beginning to look like I can put them both out on jobs. The 405 is a friction machine and the levers are opposite the 30B. Meaning the drag line is on the left and the hoist is on the right. Does anybody know if Koehring made a provision to swap them? I know the Erie can be switched easily, I hope the 405 can be too.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
With it being a manual machine, I would think you would have to cut off and add new linkage points to be able to change the levers. That is if the way the linkages hook up that it was even possible. My dad's 405 had a toggle feature on the drag lever where you would just dog it in and forget about it until the bucket was where you wanted it. It was easy to get used to at that point.

GOOG

I looked at it quickly yesterday and couldn't tell. I'll get under there one night. I want them the same. I learned in a North West which has hoist on left. My Erie mysteriously came that way, and I'm glad. I'll find a way to switch, if the factory didn't already provide a way. Thanks.

Tom