• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kobelco SK60 w/Isuzu engine help needed

rolloffhill

I have a Kobelco SK60III excavator with a 4jb1 isuzu in it, and it is on its way out with alot of blow by and ~8000 hours on it. Would consider rebuilding it, but not sure if it is gonna be worth it. I was wondering what it would take to drop the 4jb1t in it which is the turbocharged version. Would I NEED an intercooler on that setup or could I get away with out it. Or would I be better off just dropping in a new or rebuilt 4jb1 back in it?

unimog

I doubt you would need a charge air cooler for that application. The Kobelcos I've looked at with Isuzu engines were not aftercooled. Do you know the power rating of the turbo engine you're looking at? The only way to know if you're too hot is to install a pyrometer. If the exhaust temps are over 1300 or so back down the fueling or see about an aftercooler.

dirthog

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
sk60 engine

should work alright only problem I see is going to be the exhaust and intake systems. don't believe the stock muffler will fit also the air intake will be different horsepower they are close as long as the rpm are correct you should be alright also make sure the pump coupler is in good shape and check the endplay when you install the engine with out 8-15ths you will knock the bearings out of the pump or engine I will have to look monday when I go to work but I believe the new models of that machine ie. the SK70sr & 80CS are turboed