• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kobelco SK250 Problem/Resolution

MoonSwine

Hi All,

I introduced myself in another thread. I've been troubleshooting an issue with my new to me SK250 for about a month now.

Problem: After I took delivery of the machine, I worked it three different evenings and put about 7 hours on the clock. I climbed in on the fourth evening, started the machine, locked the safety lever on the left and pulled the right stick up to raise the boom. Nothing happened. It acted like the safety lever had not been latched. I ended up pulling the seat out, checking all the fuses, unplugging/replugging all the connections to the controller behind the seat and still got nothing. I let it sit over the weekend and called the dealer and they suggested I check to make sure the swing lock wasn't engaged. I went to check it out, pushed a few buttons and it started working.

To make a long story short, this happened three more times. The second and third time I played around with the control panel and it just started working again. I never knew what button or combination of buttons I pushed to make it work. The fourth time it happened, I couldn't get it to work again, so I called the dealer again. They sent a forklift tech out to help us check things over. We went through fuses, control panel, looked at harnesses, checked batteries, checked grounds, etc. We couldn't find a thing wrong.

Resolution: I called the local Kobelco dealer to ask if they could check my controller to see if it was operating properly. The guy asked what was wrong and I explained. He said, "it sounds like the pilot control valve solenoid isn't working". So, we located the bank of solenoids back behind the cab and guessed that the first solenoid in the bank would be the main solenoid. I didn't know if this thing was 12v or 24v and if it had a positive/negative side. I took it to the dealer and spoke with the tech and he suggested we swap the first and second solenoid. We did that and the machine started working. We left the second solenoid unplugged and I got a "power boost" error on the display. We plugged it in and the error went away. So, it ended up being that solenoid (A1 on the hydraulic schematic) and I can run the machine with the second solenoid (A2 on the hydraulic schematic) plugged in but apparently not working.

I don't know if it's real or perceived, but it seems like the machine is running slower now than it was before. It doesn't seem to have the same power, but I haven't spent that much time on it.

My question: Will it hurt anything to run the machine with that second solenoid doing nothing (the dealer is sending me another solenoid, but I don't know when it will arrive)? The dealership printed out a page that explains what the usage is for the solenoids. There are three of these solenoids in the bank of eight and the usage column has the following for the three:

Attachment Boost, Lever
Lock, Travel 1, 2 Speed,
Arm Var. Recirc
Solenoid, See FIG
C08-71

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

grandkobelco

Occupation
chainsaw, small engine mechanic
I would put the solenoids back in their original positions when the new one shows up, They all look the same but some of these sol are not interchangeable. If you are running with the power boost on the machine will be slower.

MoonSwine

Thanks for the reply!! These two solenoids are the same part number on the hydraulic schematics. The dealer wanted $777.00 for that sucker. I found one on ebay from China for $185.00. It's in the blue Kobelco Genuine Parts bag, but who knows if it's the same as OEM?? Anyway, I'm going that route and giving it a try.

It sorta puzzles me because the control panel shows "monitor system OK" if the solenoid is plugged in, but I assume it's still not working. All of the main hydraulic functions on the machine work. If I didn't know that particular solenoid wasn't working, I wouldn't know there was any kind of issue other than power boost not working when I push the power boost button on the right joystick.

Does anyone know what the RPMs should be without power boost on at full throttle? I can check to see what I'm running. My assumption is that the solenoid failed closed so it should be running at normal RPMs with no ability to kick it up momentarily when the button is pushed. Does that make sense?

grandkobelco

Occupation
chainsaw, small engine mechanic
The monitor can only read the electric current thru the coil, it cant know if the stem in the cartridge valve itself is working. The rpms do not change, power boost on, power boost off.

MoonSwine

Thanks for the reply. I wanted to make sure the machine wasn't running in an over revved state so I didn't cause any harm.

I was in Chicago this week, but my solenoid came in. my dad was around so he put the new solenoid on the machine and said it's running great. I'll be digging with it this weekend, so I'm back in the saddle.