• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kobelco hydraulic excavators

kp100

Occupation
semi retired
Quenton

Not sure if you have had any success finding the cause of the wrench screen but I have narrowed mine down to a faulty ignition switch. New from Kobelco is $220 which is crazy but just by wiggling my old one I could make it work and the screen cleared. The next time I put a tiny amount of WD40 on the key and ran it in and out a few times noticing the Barrel of the ignition moved up and down at least half an inch. In fact the green lights came on just by moving the key up and down without moving it to the on position. Might be worth a look on yours.

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
PARTS & SERVICE MGR. AMOUNG OTHER HATS @ KOBELCO D
Quenton

Not sure if you have had any success finding the cause of the wrench screen but I have narrowed mine down to a faulty ignition switch. New from Kobelco is $220 which is crazy but just by wiggling my old one I could make it work and the screen cleared. The next time I put a tiny amount of WD40 on the key and ran it in and out a few times noticing the Barrel of the ignition moved up and down at least half an inch. In fact the green lights came on just by moving the key up and down without moving it to the on position. Might be worth a look on yours.

good show. thanks for the feedback!
much appreciated.

DripCo

I am considering purchasing a 1996 Model 120 Kobelco excavator. I ran it yesterday. It seem to be a tight machine. It has @ 6600 Hours on it. The guy said the previous owner had trouble with it bogging down after it ran for a while. He put a new hydraulic pump on it & that did not fix it. The new owner replaced a teflon screen in one of the banjo fittings & he said that fixed it. The thing I am wondering about, is when you run the machine, you can kill the motor if you try to dig it hard. Is that common? Shouldn't the relief valves open before the motor dies? It does have the Izuzu motor in it. It doesn't smoke & seems OK, but maybe it is underpowered by nature, worn out, or its a hydraulic relief valve issue. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thanx Drip

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
I am considering purchasing a 1996 Model 120 Kobelco excavator. I ran it yesterday. It seem to be a tight machine. It has @ 6600 Hours on it. The guy said the previous owner had trouble with it bogging down after it ran for a while. He put a new hydraulic pump on it & that did not fix it. The new owner replaced a teflon screen in one of the banjo fittings & he said that fixed it. The thing I am wondering about, is when you run the machine, you can kill the motor if you try to dig it hard. Is that common? Shouldn't the relief valves open before the motor dies? It does have the Izuzu motor in it. It doesn't smoke & seems OK, but maybe it is underpowered by nature, worn out, or its a hydraulic relief valve issue. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thanx Drip

hi,
my guess is that the hours are more likely 16,600. the other digit maybe covered up by the cover plate. i would suggest you check this.
as for the bogging it could be the engine cannot handle the hyd load, or the hp o/rings in the hyd pump regulators are leaking by upstroking the hyd pump not allowing the hyd to cut flow when under load to keep up eng rpms
in hyd the reliefs do limit the max system prs by dumping the oil back to the hyd tank.
usually when a relief fails it fails open.
the reliefs are likely not the problem.
could be the fuel inj pump is worn out and fuel inj have likely never been touched.
adam

Noel3

Thanks for the help,

All done and back in operation!!!
One more quick question, lately when I first start it, for the first minute or so there is a high pitched squeaking? I was thinking the fan belt or something? I was going to put some WD40 oil on it??

Thanks

Noel

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
Thanks for the help,

All done and back in operation!!!
One more quick question, lately when I first start it, for the first minute or so there is a high pitched squeaking? I was thinking the fan belt or something? I was going to put some WD40 oil on it??

Thanks

Noel

hi,
i don't recommend that, it could be your belts may want to try adjusting or replacing them.
if you have air cond, could be the air cond idler pulley.
cheers!
adam

simon slater

Dear Mr Kobelco

I have a Kobelco SK16 (poss MSR) mini digger that needs some pins, bushing and a bit of tlc, Im having problems locating a manual and dealer in my area and cant even be sure the model i own is registered correctly? im aware its an import (i assume they all are) but i cant even get a picture on screen that is anywhere like mine,: in brief mine has a distintive curved glass rear screen expanding tracks, I think its a 2003 model and the serial no is PF02 02262........... I would appreciate any help you may be able to offer. thank you.. Simon Slater.

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
Dear Mr Kobelco

I have a Kobelco SK16 (poss MSR) mini digger that needs some pins, bushing and a bit of tlc, Im having problems locating a manual and dealer in my area and cant even be sure the model i own is registered correctly? im aware its an import (i assume they all are) but i cant even get a picture on screen that is anywhere like mine,: in brief mine has a distintive curved glass rear screen expanding tracks, I think its a 2003 model and the serial no is PF02 02262........... I would appreciate any help you may be able to offer. thank you.. Simon Slater.

hi simon,
please e-mail me directly i'll be able to forward you some info to help.
hf_hydraulics@hotmail.com
adam

DripCo

MR K my excavator serial # is YP-0217
By the way, on this Model, there is a switch in the right arm rest. It is hidden way in the back. Thru some other research, I've found that this bypasses the hydraulic computer. It now operates as it should ( I think, Havent had a chance to use it much though)

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
MR K my excavator serial # is YP-0217
By the way, on this Model, there is a switch in the right arm rest. It is hidden way in the back. Thru some other research, I've found that this bypasses the hydraulic computer. It now operates as it should ( I think, Havent had a chance to use it much though)

hi drip,
thanks for posting here. i am attempting to keep posts on kobelco models in one location.
a library of sorts, common issues that may arise. i have heard that most read the posts and i cases end up finding a solution to a problem they are experiencing
and end up sorting themselves out.

this switch you mention is what is called by kobelco a " KPSS RELEASE SWITCH " in some models such as yours its located inside the r/h console at the back,
usually a removable rubber grommet covers the access hole. if this switch has never been touched or replaced generally when the switch is flicked up this will turn off the computer putting the mechatronics system into " LIMP HOME " mode. it is not meant to be run constantly this way, its too hard on the main hyd pumps and you'll reduce their life expectancy greatly. toggle switch flicked down is having the computer on and the c-1 controller can operate as should to help control the horsepower
keeping the engine rpm up by helping to destroke the pumps thru the pf solenoid on the pump assy normally when something is not quite right such as a hyd system problem or weak engine. fuel problem, turbo, etc...
the pf solenoid is always helping to a small degree but when the computer senses too much rpm drop the computer sends a higher mA signal to help out.
when you shut-off the kpss rls switch the power off a fuse is fed thru a current limiting resistor and the pf solenoid cuts the oil flow to about 1/2 at all times.
it is fairly easy to verify if computer is controlling the pf solenoid or not.
the pf solenoid is proportional acting and threads into a block.
there is a test port on the block. 1/4" JIS, BSPP threads. stick a 1,000 psi hyd prs gauge on and observe when operating the machine.
the hyd prs should vary with the load on the engine. if not, if hyd prs is steady then the switch is in direction of shutting off the computer (limp mode).
if no hyd prs is registered, either the fuses are blown, 1 amp/5 amp fuses, current limiting resistor is bad, connections rotted, pf sol coil is burnt out
13.5 - 30 ohms ?, or c-1 computer pcb is burnt and i maybe able to repair.
pf sol power - c-1 sends 24 vdc. one wire is + the other is the ground wire.

if you do not mind please send me an e-mail to " hf_hydraulics@hotmail.com " and afterwards if you like provide me your findings.
you could have a few issues you maybe unaware being the age your machine is.
cheers!
adam
:)

mopar2256

Mr Kobelco, I'm new here and looking for some guidance on a Sk135srlc 2004 model S.N Yh03-02414. I installed a aftermarket hyd. thumb for a customer last fall with no problems.Hyd. hard lines were already on stick as well as shut off valves. Now this season customer has been digging and thumb has problems.It will only run cly. out will not return.If I switch lines it returns .Its like I have blockage in lines on right side of stick when sitting in cab.Could it be a valve/ solinoid not opening allowing fuild to return to tank? I have tried another cly. and it does the same. Lines "jump" going both directions with pedal. Any help would be greatly apperciated. thanks,Nate

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
Mr Kobelco, I'm new here and looking for some guidance on a Sk135srlc 2004 model S.N Yh03-02414. I installed a aftermarket hyd. thumb for a customer last fall with no problems.Hyd. hard lines were already on stick as well as shut off valves. Now this season customer has been digging and thumb has problems.It will only run cly. out will not return.If I switch lines it returns .Its like I have blockage in lines on right side of stick when sitting in cab.Could it be a valve/ solinoid not opening allowing fuild to return to tank? I have tried another cly. and it does the same. Lines "jump" going both directions with pedal. Any help would be greatly apperciated. thanks,Nate

hi nate,
i'm home right now if you want call me and i can give a couple suggestions
1-905-697-9626
cheers!
adam

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
Will do thanks!!!

hi nate,
got your msg.
when you get a minute free give me a ring, i do believe your customers machine can be setup and tweaked a bit.
before you ring i'll need the version # on the bottom of scrn no. 1.
if the machine has the latest greatest final version, and is serviced such as replace fuel filter, removing and cleaning of the 2 hidden in-line fuel screens (isuzu),
replacing both the inner and outer air filters and changing the main hyd return filter...
we can then proceed with what i will propose.
you sitting in the cab and i'll give guidance over the phone.
when your customer next operates the 135sr he'll notice an immediate difference - it'll be like a new machine.
cheers
adam

mopar2256

Thanks again Adam I will try and get version# for you today as far as being serviced........... I'll have 2 check with owner..... he's not a wrench turner unless he has too. Nate

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
Thanks again Adam I will try and get version# for you today as far as being serviced........... I'll have 2 check with owner..... he's not a wrench turner unless he has too. Nate

hi nate,
sorry one more thing, when you are at machine getting version #, please also page thru using screen change button on display once you are on scrn no. 1,
key on - eng not running need to ensure that all pilot sensors, high prs sensors all nulled = 0.4V & 0k
also the solenoids/propo sol the comp mA & meas mA should be similar values
if some are abnormal readings we need to make corrections before going forward.
cheers
adam