• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Know the height of what you are hauling

rigandig

The original post is of an accident that happened on I-70 in Salina, Ks. I passed thru there going south about a week after that happened. There is a board member from another BB that I frequent that lives close by. It was determined that the driver was in fact off route when this happened. And he did not die. However, he did suffer brown drawer syndrome I believe.

heavylift

There was one on I-70 that he was boot-legging his hoe... The state tore the bridge down..then built a new one...the traffic was detoured for a while....
i don't know if this is that bridge

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
There was one on I-70 that he was boot-legging his hoe... The state tore the bridge down..then built a new one...the traffic was detoured for a while....
i don't know if this is that bridge

Why not.The trucking company and their insurance are paying for it.

kmickels

Occupation
Law Enforcement
Crash! "what the... Oh...." Running away "yes I would like to report a stolen vehicle!"

Haulier

Occupation
Project Manager
I wonder how fast the truck was going to manage such thing!

Merab

I am dilling with transportation of Komatsu PW 130 ES from Europe to Middle Asia.

can you advice on it ?

Randy88

I was hauling a piece of equipment one time that was slightly over height and was routed and came upon an overpass that was just slightly higher than my load was, I slowed up and got almost up to the bridge and stopped and got out to measure the bridge off the hood of my truck, sure enough it was too low, the city had poured a layer of black top over the existing road and never changed the sign. Called the state that routed me and told them the problem I had and oh yea by the way there are a lot of pissed off drivers behind me lined up for almost a mile and get someone out here to direct traffic, I need to back out of here and it's almost a mile before I can turn around, took only a few minutes to get help but hours to get backed out of the mess. Now I always have someone go ahead to measure overheads for me when I'm hauling over height things and unless its an interstate bridge I never take any height posted as gospel but instead have them measured for me by someone I trust or have a pole on a truck to see if it clears by at least 6 inches before I go under them.

Sparkie

it's still impressive every time i see it. The truck had enough momentum to break the gooseneck when the trailer stopped.

No it didn't, you can see that everything is in tact there. Would have been better if it had though, probably would have saved the drivers life.

cyclone77

Occupation
Owner operator of kansas oilfield Dozer service
This happened just north of Hays,KS on the Hall St. overpass over I-70. A friend and I walked down to the site within a half hour of this happening, the driver was Not killed. I was amazed to find out that none the (5) 3/8 load chains were broken after this impact

JDOFMEMI

Considering that the machine is off the deck and on the ground on one side, plus the impact damage on the bottom of the bridge where something rose up and hit it, I don't see how the chains weren't broken, unless they were not hooked to the load.