1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Know the height of what you are hauling

Discussion in 'Equipment Moving Questions' started by Partsdude, Aug 25, 2008.

1. rigandig

rigandig Well-Known Member

The original post is of an accident that happened on I-70 in Salina, Ks. I passed thru there going south about a week after that happened. There is a board member from another BB that I frequent that lives close by. It was determined that the driver was in fact off route when this happened. And he did not die. However, he did suffer brown drawer syndrome I believe.

2. heavylift

heavylift Senior Member

There was one on I-70 that he was boot-legging his hoe... The state tore the bridge down..then built a new one...the traffic was detoured for a while....
    i don't know if this is that bridge

3. 2stickbill

2stickbill Senior Member

Sniffin diesel fumes.
    Why not.The trucking company and their insurance are paying for it.

4. griffiths51

griffiths51 New Member

They cut that section of the bridge out and repaired it. I don't think there were any vehicles on top of the bridge when it was hit.

5. OneWelder

OneWelder Senior Member

Lowboy - Did you go for a redo ?- LOL - Last week on the news they had a dump truck body raise and take out a foot bridge

6. hougie

hougie Well-Known Member

municipal worker
    that looks very expensive.....

7. kmickels

kmickels Active Member

Law Enforcement
    Crash! "what the... Oh...." Running away "yes I would like to report a stolen vehicle!"

8. Haulier

Haulier Member

Project Manager
    I wonder how fast the truck was going to manage such thing!

9. Merab

Merab New Member

I am dilling with transportation of Komatsu PW 130 ES from Europe to Middle Asia.

can you advice on it ?

10. Randy88

Randy88 Senior Member

I was hauling a piece of equipment one time that was slightly over height and was routed and came upon an overpass that was just slightly higher than my load was, I slowed up and got almost up to the bridge and stopped and got out to measure the bridge off the hood of my truck, sure enough it was too low, the city had poured a layer of black top over the existing road and never changed the sign. Called the state that routed me and told them the problem I had and oh yea by the way there are a lot of pissed off drivers behind me lined up for almost a mile and get someone out here to direct traffic, I need to back out of here and it's almost a mile before I can turn around, took only a few minutes to get help but hours to get backed out of the mess. Now I always have someone go ahead to measure overheads for me when I'm hauling over height things and unless its an interstate bridge I never take any height posted as gospel but instead have them measured for me by someone I trust or have a pole on a truck to see if it clears by at least 6 inches before I go under them.

11. Sparkie

Sparkie Well-Known Member

No it didn't, you can see that everything is in tact there. Would have been better if it had though, probably would have saved the drivers life.

12. Thedeeredude

Thedeeredude Member

farmer marketer
    Not really how this even happens but it is worth seeing :)

13. cyclone77

cyclone77 Member

Owner operator of kansas oilfield Dozer service
    This happened just north of Hays,KS on the Hall St. overpass over I-70. A friend and I walked down to the site within a half hour of this happening, the driver was Not killed. I was amazed to find out that none the (5) 3/8 load chains were broken after this impact

14. JDOFMEMI

JDOFMEMI Senior Member

Considering that the machine is off the deck and on the ground on one side, plus the impact damage on the bottom of the bridge where something rose up and hit it, I don't see how the chains weren't broken, unless they were not hooked to the load.