• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Know the height of what you are hauling

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
I always made it a habit to test the PTO lever and if it didn't fight back when I moved it I knew something needed attention there right away.Ron G
[/QUOTE]

That's the beautiful thing about having those kind of incidents RonG...it only took me ONE TIME to learn a valuable life's lesson.

I constantly told that meatball boss of mine that I wanted a safety chain with a ring fastened to the back of the cab to keep the PTO from jumping in gear like the other 2 trucks had. He insisted that all you had to do was keep checking it. The levers were so long that they had too much leverage and would jump around on every bump. Made for a good story many moons later, and hopefully something for the "yutes" to think about.:D

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
Wonder if the driver went after his paycheck ?

We had one where a driver slammed a feller-buncher into a 13'6" railroad bridge on a friday and the next monday him and his boss where there laughing and joking about it.

Deere9670

Occupation
Farm equipment operator
I guess I'll admit it now, it's been long enough...

When I was 16 about 100 years ago, I was driving a DM 600 Mack for this cheapskate that paid us 3 employees a whopping $4.00 an hour each for driving, and he wanted those 10 loads from the quarry to his plant every day.
He was a little sawed off Italian fella that screamed, not spoke at you no matter what he was saying. A real meatball of a guy.
The trucks were all junk, no brakes, and gigantic steel bodies that we'd load to the gunnels every load with shot rock from Tilcon in North Branford, Ct., and haul to his old dilapidated crusher in Hamden, about a 10 mile one way run. The levers for the PTO and the dump pump were between the seats, and they were really long so the PTO would jump in gear on you when you least expected it.
I just got onto I-91 empty and was pouring the coals to that powerhouse of a 237, and slid her into the biggest cog it had in that quadbox, when another truck came flying up alongside me and was pointing, waving, going about nuts. I'm thinking, "what's wrong with this fool" to myself, when all of a sudden...KAAABAAANGGG!!!I look in the mirror and see pieces of the exit 7 sign streaming all over the highway, aluminum shrapnel everywhere, and my body's straight up in the air. I mowed the exit sign completely off it's perches with the cab protector. I jumped on the pump lever to let the body down, but it didn't come down because it had one of those old style cam-over hoist systems that if it went past the point of no return, you had to slam the brakes on to get it to spring forward past the cam. So here I am now, sweat beading off my forehead, slamming the brakes on repeatedly on the interstate of all places, and finally get the body down. Unfortunately though, the cab protector was bent up 90 degrees like a wind deflector, or "polish snowplow" as the old timers often referred to them as. The corner welds were torn, so I'm going down the road with this enormous steel billboard flopping in the breeze.
I never heard a single word to this day about the damage to the sign on the highway, but boy did I hear from old Mr. Esposito about having to fix the cab guard. It cost him about an hour with his loader holding it down and about 6 welding rods that night, but he wasn't happy unless he was screaming at somebody for something.:drinkup

Had that been a bridge instead of that highway sign, it wouldn't have been so pretty.

About a month later, I had to wheel into a gas station to use the restroom in a bad way...I mean I went in there backwards.:eek: I parked the truck so all I did was dove out of the seat and into the mens room. There was no maxi brakes, just a trolley brake lever on the steering column. No wheel chocks either.

I open the restroom door a few minutes later expecting to just leap back up into the saddle, but there's no truck. I look left, no truck. I look right and hoo boy...there it is. Parked half way on top of a Country Squire station wagon's hood. That was a tough one to explain. The trolley brakes specifically say right on the levers themselves "NOT FOR PARKING"...I rationalized my way out of it by saying I really wasn't PARKING per say... I was just at a temporary standstill. Kind of a Bill Clinton deal.

I still didn't get fired though. Guess it's tough to find good 4 dollar an hour help, even back then, eh?;)

Holy Crap!!!!!! That is some story ya got there lowboy! Im sure that you got plenty of good ol stories! Im listening:drinkup

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
In the summer of 2002, while operating a CMI PR1050 asphalt mill on interstate 285 in Atlanta, A dump truck came off the paver roughly a quarter mile behind us and forgot to put the dump body down. A bridge deck 50 yards ahead of the mill caught him.

T'was quite the sight to see the dump body make contact, pull the cab almost as high as the bottom of the bridge, bounce back down off the road and back up half as high, then land on the other side off the bridge deck. The driver got out walking, dazed and unhurt. (we saw him the next week at work, he was fine with it)

As soon as I saw the truck pass us with the dump body up, I decel both motors and cut the truck under us loose. We were stopped for the nite right where we were, they didn't let us cut another foot.

These things will happen....

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
On a Monday... too!!:

We had one where a driver slammed a feller-buncher into a 13'6" railroad bridge on a friday and the next monday him and his boss where there laughing and joking about it.

the next monday him and his boss where there laughing and joking about it.

RR guys must'a said something awful funny to " him and his boss "... :beatsme

I never realized the RR had such a... $-grand-$... sense of humor... :confused:

Who'da thunk'it......ever!....... :lmao

OCR

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
Holy Crap!!!!!! That is some story ya got there lowboy! Im sure that you got plenty of good ol stories! Im listening:drinkup

You couldn't even begin to imagine the stories, Deere...I got 'em for every emotion. Happy, sad, joy, anguish. Life's been like a box of chocolates...I never knew what I was gonna get.:OMG:D

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
uh, boss, did you buy that leased hoe yet? no, no reason.

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
Naaa...

Its a rental...
:cool:

Attachments

• 310734047fpBjBW_ph.jpg
    310734047fpBjBW_ph.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,986

Deerehauler

This accident happened near Hays, Kansas between the 177 and 179 exit if memory serves. I went to college there and lived about 1 mile south of this bridge. The trap shooting range is just north of the bridge and it would have made a long drive to go shoot some rock. I'm glad I wasn't on the bridge when this happened!

bill onthehill

When I was a youngster I saw a dump truck take out an overhead canopy between the Acme market and the Sears store. He worked for a local Sunoco and on Saturday they washed and serviced a small fleet that hauled for the local quarry. He did not do a lot of damage to the truck but he scattered debris for a 100 yds.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Three I know of local to me, all involved 8 wheel tippers.

One multi truck company had to pass under the motorway within 100yds of exiting their yard on a small backroad. Yep! one lost the argument with the bridge early one morning.

Different company took a steel footbridge clean off its mountings one Saturday morning. Very lucky it was a Saturday as it blocked the major trunk road for a good few hours.

The third was going in to work on a lane rental to see somebody had left a roll on off body near the exit to the centre reservation after night shift. It was only as we got closer that it became apparent that it was not infact a ro-ro but a tipper body. :eek:

A few years back before I had my own I actually drove a duck out through the cones of a lane rental in to the path of a tarmac truck that had just exited the site. Poor driver thought I had lost my mind but it finally got his attention which flashing my lights had not achieved. Between him and me was a bridge and his body was still up :beatsme

PonyExpress94

The driver of the lowboy truck in the original post was killed? Not to pry but do you have any description of how that happened? Geez, that's terrible.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
The driver of the lowboy truck in the original post was killed? Not to pry but do you have any description of how that happened? Geez, that's terrible.

I dont know where you got the info that the lowboy driver was killed.

In all the reports, comments and postings I have seen, NEVER has there been any hint that the driver died, although they are all prior to his boss getting hold of him.

As to how it happened :beatsme there was mention of a heavy load crossing the overbridge, that may have caused the bridge to bow as the lowboy went under.
Another suggestion is that the lowboy wasnt travelling fast enough to cut all the way through.

Most folk seem to think that the arm of the digger was maybe a bit too high and hit the bridge. :Banghead

Bottom line......... the driver was off route with an overheight load.

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
I don't believe for a minute that was driver's error...It's a new concept being tried out for cutting bridges in half. Yeah, that's the ticket...:yup

Aw heck that's nothing.Give about 6 Mexicans a few wheelbarrow loads of concrete and that will be fixed before quitting time.:D:drinkup

Exact Express

load height

I had a load on one time, that I knew was way under legal, so I didn't measure it. Got stopped by the law and when He asked how high it was, I told Him I was fine but not sure the exact measurment. This was not the answer he wanted to hear, now I check every load so everyone is happy.