1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Know the height of what you are hauling

Discussion in 'Equipment Moving Questions' started by Partsdude, Aug 25, 2008.

1. LowBoy

LowBoy Senior Member

Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
    [/QUOTE]

That's the beautiful thing about having those kind of incidents RonG...it only took me ONE TIME to learn a valuable life's lesson.

I constantly told that meatball boss of mine that I wanted a safety chain with a ring fastened to the back of the cab to keep the PTO from jumping in gear like the other 2 trucks had. He insisted that all you had to do was keep checking it. The levers were so long that they had too much leverage and would jump around on every bump. Made for a good story many moons later, and hopefully something for the "yutes" to think about.:D

2. 95zIV

95zIV Senior Member

RR Contractor Super.
    We had one where a driver slammed a feller-buncher into a 13'6" railroad bridge on a friday and the next monday him and his boss where there laughing and joking about it.

3. Deere9670

Deere9670 Senior Member

Farm equipment operator
    Holy Crap!!!!!! That is some story ya got there lowboy! Im sure that you got plenty of good ol stories! Im listening:drinkup

4. milling_drum

milling_drum Senior Member

asphalt mill operator (ret)
    In the summer of 2002, while operating a CMI PR1050 asphalt mill on interstate 285 in Atlanta, A dump truck came off the paver roughly a quarter mile behind us and forgot to put the dump body down. A bridge deck 50 yards ahead of the mill caught him.

T'was quite the sight to see the dump body make contact, pull the cab almost as high as the bottom of the bridge, bounce back down off the road and back up half as high, then land on the other side off the bridge deck. The driver got out walking, dazed and unhurt. (we saw him the next week at work, he was fine with it)

As soon as I saw the truck pass us with the dump body up, I decel both motors and cut the truck under us loose. We were stopped for the nite right where we were, they didn't let us cut another foot.

These things will happen....

5. OCR

OCR Senior Member

Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
    On a Monday... too!!:

RR guys must'a said something awful funny to " him and his boss "... :beatsme

I never realized the RR had such a... $-grand-$... sense of humor... :confused:

Who'da thunk'it......ever!....... :lmao

OCR

6. LowBoy

LowBoy Senior Member

Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)

You couldn't even begin to imagine the stories, Deere...I got 'em for every emotion. Happy, sad, joy, anguish. Life's been like a box of chocolates...I never knew what I was gonna get.:OMG:D

7. qball

qball Senior Member

local 150 operator
    uh, boss, did you buy that leased hoe yet? no, no reason.

8. RollOver Pete

RollOver Pete Senior Member

Operating Engineer/mechanic
    Naaa...

Its a rental...
    :cool:

Attached Files:

9. DPete

DPete Senior Member

It aint easy being a hoe ;)

10. Deerehauler

Deerehauler Well-Known Member

This accident happened near Hays, Kansas between the 177 and 179 exit if memory serves. I went to college there and lived about 1 mile south of this bridge. The trap shooting range is just north of the bridge and it would have made a long drive to go shoot some rock. I'm glad I wasn't on the bridge when this happened!

11. DoosanFan

DoosanFan Well-Known Member

Forester
    Haha, too many dump truck bin up stories. Thought those things didn't happen in America, only Africa, lol.

12. bill onthehill

bill onthehill Senior Member

When I was a youngster I saw a dump truck take out an overhead canopy between the Acme market and the Sears store. He worked for a local Sunoco and on Saturday they washed and serviced a small fleet that hauled for the local quarry. He did not do a lot of damage to the truck but he scattered debris for a 100 yds.

13. AtlasRob

AtlasRob Senior Member

owner operator
    Three I know of local to me, all involved 8 wheel tippers.

One multi truck company had to pass under the motorway within 100yds of exiting their yard on a small backroad. Yep! one lost the argument with the bridge early one morning.

Different company took a steel footbridge clean off its mountings one Saturday morning. Very lucky it was a Saturday as it blocked the major trunk road for a good few hours.

The third was going in to work on a lane rental to see somebody had left a roll on off body near the exit to the centre reservation after night shift. It was only as we got closer that it became apparent that it was not infact a ro-ro but a tipper body. :eek:

A few years back before I had my own I actually drove a duck out through the cones of a lane rental in to the path of a tarmac truck that had just exited the site. Poor driver thought I had lost my mind but it finally got his attention which flashing my lights had not achieved. Between him and me was a bridge and his body was still up :beatsme

14. Corona Kid

Corona Kid Member

I do too, It Killed Him!

15. PonyExpress94

PonyExpress94 Active Member

The driver of the lowboy truck in the original post was killed? Not to pry but do you have any description of how that happened? Geez, that's terrible.

16. AtlasRob

AtlasRob Senior Member

owner operator
    I dont know where you got the info that the lowboy driver was killed.

In all the reports, comments and postings I have seen, NEVER has there been any hint that the driver died, although they are all prior to his boss getting hold of him.

As to how it happened :beatsme there was mention of a heavy load crossing the overbridge, that may have caused the bridge to bow as the lowboy went under.
    Another suggestion is that the lowboy wasnt travelling fast enough to cut all the way through.

Most folk seem to think that the arm of the digger was maybe a bit too high and hit the bridge. :Banghead

Bottom line......... the driver was off route with an overheight load.

17. Will Musser

Will Musser Well-Known Member

Heavyhauler/ Truckbuilder
    I think this guy was like 16, had noCDL or insurance or permit.

18. 2stickbill

2stickbill Senior Member

Sniffin diesel fumes.
    Aw heck that's nothing.Give about 6 Mexicans a few wheelbarrow loads of concrete and that will be fixed before quitting time.:D:drinkup

19. Exact Express

Exact Express Active Member

load height

I had a load on one time, that I knew was way under legal, so I didn't measure it. Got stopped by the law and when He asked how high it was, I told Him I was fine but not sure the exact measurment. This was not the answer he wanted to hear, now I check every load so everyone is happy.

20. Corona Kid

Corona Kid Member

The Origional Story is Posted In The NB I-15 St George POE, The Driver Was Killed From The Abrupt Stop That Broke His Neck.