• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Klutch Tools

Truck Shop

I could care less who buy's what brand of tools as long as it is the correct tool for the JOB.
Below is one of my pet peeves. People who use the wrong tools on something as simple as a pipe plug.
And below are two totally different approaches in tool-olgy to turn the simple pipe plug. One is the correct tool {8 point socket}.
The other is some sort of do-all half a$$ micrometer, good for rounding off pipe plugs. Because you never know what type of 325 lb He-man twisted the pipe
plug till he was hanging off the ground with so much force he farted like a Clydesdale.

Tools? I don't care what brand you buy just buy and use the correct ones for the job.

OIP (6).jpg

Attachments

• SSPlugThreaded.jpg
    SSPlugThreaded.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 17
  • th (1).jpg
    th (1).jpg
    9 KB · Views: 19

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The torque is one thing, but the glue they use to try to keep something from leaking is an entirely different rounded off plug.

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
I know we got some golden arms here but not every job is that critical. I have met a few guys quite skilled with adjustable tools.

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
Had a woman watch me do some demo the other day with a number 9 side cutter. Said, I had no idea one tool could do so much so well. I would have had the whole box out.

Vetech63

I could care less who buy's what brand of tools as long as it is the correct tool for the JOB.
Below is one of my pet peeves. People who use the wrong tools on something as simple as a pipe plug.
And below are two totally different approaches in tool-olgy to turn the simple pipe plug. One is the correct tool {8 point socket}.
The other is some sort of do-all half a$$ micrometer, good for rounding off pipe plugs. Because you never know what type of 325 lb He-man twisted the pipe
plug till he was hanging off the ground with so much force he farted like a Clydesdale.

Tools? I don't care what brand you buy just buy and use the correct ones for the job.

View attachment 241561
Yeah, but show me a pipe plug socket that can be used as a prybar or a hammer! ;)

Bluox

View attachment 241561
I'm kinda confused what does a deep 3/4 drive 1 9/16 8 point socket have to do with a 1/2 " pipe plug?
I would use a 4 point pipe plug socket myself.
If a square head pipe plug aggravated me that much I would replace it with a hex head plug.
Bob

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I'm kinda confused what does a deep 3/4 drive 1 9/16 8 point socket have to do with a 1/2 " pipe plug?
I would use a 4 point pipe plug socket myself.
If a square head pipe plug aggravated me that much I would replace it with a hex head plug.
Bob
I'm thinking that was just a picture of a "generic" 8 point socket.

doublewide

Wait a minute there truck shop, what’s wrong with the Italian wrenches?

Truck Shop

Wow you guy's miss the whole point except for kshansen. Now I know who is been
responsible for rounding off fill plugs--It's you guys.

Bluox

Wow you guy's miss the whole point except for kshansen. Now I know who is been
Actually 8 point sockets do about as good a job as as an adjustable wrench ,if you wanted to post a picture of the proper tool why not a 4 point plug socket instead of a track bolt socket?
And like I said they make hex head plugs to eliminate that problem.
Bob

Truck Shop

Actually 8 point sockets do about as good a job as as an adjustable wrench ,if you wanted to post a picture of the proper tool why not a 4 point plug socket instead of a track bolt socket?
And like I said they make hex head plugs to eliminate that problem.
Bob

Actually 8 point sockets are for square plugs and no adjustable wrench is as good, if a adjustable wrenches were they wouldn't make 8 point sockets.
I posted what I could find on the fly-kshansen got it.
So I'm going to buy a box of 130 hex head fill plugs at how much a piece to replace a square head pipe plug with a magnet built into it that works just fine using a 8 point socket? Nuts.
But the good side of this is it gave you something to pick at today-you were running about two quarts low.;)

Last edited:

crane operator

Now I know who is been

Sorry, its me. I don't really like adjustable wrenches either. Vise grips all the way for me!

I've included pictures of my personal collection, because pictures seem to be the thing in this thread. Note: this is a web based image, not my actual vise grip collection. Mine are rusty.

maxresdefault.jpg

I only have one other tool. Image of that tool is below.

I can use the vise grips with the hammer. Or the hammer without the vise grips. Or just the vise grips. But rarely do I not need the hammer or the vise grips on any project. Otherwise I chip my nails.

Note: My hammer head flies off at times, but only when using the hammer. Its a anti- theft device. If a thief steals my hammer and uses it, the head will fly off and kill him or his accomplices, saving the world from one more useless thief. I'm used to it flying off, so I'm ready for it.

Secondary note: This is not my actual hammer, but a image of a hammer that is in mildly better shape than my hammer.

maxresdefault.jpg

crane operator

No that's probably your hammer---the heads are not shiny from use.:) I like your vise grip with the
plow bolt for adjustment.:p

I store the hammer outside for extra "patina". As for the "plow bolt", that's not a "plow" bolt, but a "carriage" bolt. Carriage bolts are for "carriages", not "plows". You've got all kinds of terminology issues today, isn't there a truck somewhere that needs towed?

As far as the original question about Klutch tools (I've derailed this enough- I'd like to make a point about the original post- but to no ones surprise, I don't know anything about the original subject). Since this is the internet, I won't let my lack of knowledge stop me. We don't have a northern by us, but we do have that other store mentioned- Harbor Freight.

I'll buy gloves from harbor freight. But I'm like Lucy and Charlie Brown and the football with that place. I keep going back for tools and being nothing but disappointed. Their tools are worth exactly what you pay for them.

Lifetime warranty from harbor freight means nothing to me, if the first one was junk, why would I want another one? I'm stubborn and stupid though, it took me breaking the third 1" drive ratchet to figure that out. Harbor Freight is useful for one time use disposable tools. Its my only option on saturday afternoon for a emergency, but I'd rather buy tools from anywhere else, made by anyone other than the Chinese.

Thus ends the lesson on the Klutch tools, because I don't know anything about them, but I know all about HF. They have gloves.

Truck Shop

Excuse me the head of that bolt was rounded. Isn't there something that needs a crane? works both ways. Terminology issues ? I will make sure and not help with air valve issues.

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
How good does it have to be? We were out in the sticks the other day and had some stuck bolts. I had the HF breaker bar. 4 of us take turns 2 at a time for an hour.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Here’s a thought about hunka freight tools. I bought a 4 lb deadblow from there. One cold day I hit something and it shattered. I threw it away. Guy pulled it out of the trash and took it back for warranty. Good for him. Repeated the same story the next winter. (Yes I’m a slow learner). You know what doesn’t shatter in the cold? A snap-on or trusty cook dead blow hammer.