• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ketchikan Alaska Project

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
The Ketchikan, Alaska, 3rd Ave. Extension was completed about 10 years ago. Because the terrain is so narrow and steep, there is only one road through town at some locations which really jammed up traffic when tour ships were in town. The solution was to create a bypass by carving a bench out of the mountain to extend an existing street and tie into another neighborhood.

The project involved massive retaining walls. The elevated structures in some of the photos show how the utility corridor was carried through the project area allowing work to be done beneath. Not sure why that was done.

The project got out of control and ended up costing $30+ mil for a little more than 1 mile of road. The project had trouble with the rock/blasting and the wall design. Originally the plan was to grind rock instead of blasting because of the homes below. The rock was harder than anticipated, causing the grinder to break down and/or not make distance milestones.

It is done and a beautiful place to view the Tongass Narrows.
Ktn 01.jpgKtn 02.jpgKtn 03.jpg

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Thanks for all the wonderful pics you have been posting.We really enjoy them.Ron G

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Why construct a conveyor for the aggregate backfill on such a short section of road? I can see why the costs were overrun.

lantraxco

Given how narrow and steep that was in places, I doubt there was room for trucks to back in past all the equipment and then pull out again in an effiecient manner. Of course there are always other ways to do things....