• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kenworth with 10 speed and a Detroit

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Got a call from an old customer last week about his dump truck. It seems he rented the truck for a day or two and the lever puller slammed the shift lever hard enough to knock it out of the quadrant rails. The stick was just flopping around when I got there. I pulled the shift tower and shifted the socket on top so the transmission was back in neutral and then reinstalled the lever. I thought I had it made but when I tried it out and went over to check forth and fifth I noticed the lever could keep going until the ball went out of the socket again. I pulled the lever back out and set all back together right again and noticed that when I moved over to the forth and fifth position again I heard the high low spit air. I haven't worked on truck trannies since the nineties so don't know where to turn next. I didn't get the numbers off the box today but should be back up there tomorrow to look again. The pattern was different to me in that fourth gear was across from second while fifth was where forth would normally be. Year and miles on this monster are lost in antiquity. Speedo hasn't worked since they got the truck years ago.

Any clues or suggestions would sure be appreciated.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Is it a straight 10 or a super 10? Big black high low switch or a small grey button on the side of the shifter?

John C.

Occupation
Small gray slider on the handle. It doesn't go up and down, goes forward for high and back for low.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
It’s a super 10. Half the physical shifter movements compared to a straight 10. When you get to the right spot in the pattern it makes the range shift for you.

Reactions: DB2

John C.

Occupation
So does that mean it is working normally when you go from third to ninth? What about the shift lever not stopping going toward the passenger side of the cab?

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
It’s a super 10. Half the physical shifter movements compared to a straight 10. When you get to the right spot in the pattern it makes the range shift for you.
Yep, basically like a 5 and two rear axle. Hi and lo in each position.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
So does that mean it is working normally when you go from third to ninth? What about the shift lever not stopping going toward the passenger side of the cab?

The shift lever flopping around isn’t normal. As far as third to ninth if the proper shift procedure is followed it shouldn’t do that. If the shifter is fubar it may not be engaging the range selection at the right time.

The way they shift is start in first, shift to second with button, then move lever to next position and flip button back for third, flip button for fourth, move lever and flip button back for fifth, flip button for sixth, move lever flip back for seventh, flip button for 8th, move lever and flip button back for 9th then flip button again for 10th. The physical movement of the shifter is like a normal 10 speed just don’t repeat the pattern with the shifter if that makes sense.

John C.

Occupation
OK, the driver told me something else. Now I am curious. I'll come back with the numbers tomorrow if there is still a tag on the box. Thanks!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
The shift lever flopping around isn’t normal. As far as third to ninth if the proper shift procedure is followed it shouldn’t do that. If the shifter is fubar it may not be engaging the range selection at the right time.

The way they shift is start in first, shift to second with button, then move lever to next position and flip button back for third, flip button for fourth, move lever and flip button back for fifth, flip button for sixth, move lever flip back for seventh, flip button for 8th, move lever and flip button back for 9th then flip button again for 10th. The physical movement of the shifter is like a normal 10 speed just don’t repeat the pattern with the shifter if that makes sense.

Oh man, that shift pattern is like the old RTO9513 13 speed, air shift split for all the upper range gears. Back in that day I much preferred the 9613, three gears in low, shift to mid, 5 gears, then shift to hi 5 gears.

John C.

Occupation
Yes that is kind of what the driver explained to me. I thought it was like the RT12513 that we had in dump trucks. We had a ten speed in an International that started in low range and shift to high range and start all over.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Yes that is kind of what the driver explained to me. I thought it was like the RT12513 that we had in dump trucks. We had a ten speed in an International that started in low range and shift to high range and start all over.
The reversed 4th and 5th positions at the far right of the pattern almost sound like a 9spd overdrive. The tag will tell all.

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
It sounds like a super 10 like Junkyard said. IIRC your range shift is between 6th and 7th gear. I can't help you as why the shift lever is going too far to the passenger side though.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
The reversed 4th and 5th positions at the far right of the pattern almost sound like a 9spd overdrive. The tag will tell all.

There was also a 9 or 10 speed that had the “top two” feature that allow a button shift as opposed to the full shifter movement. It would have had a range selector on the front like a normal 9 or 10 and the grey button on the shifter. Not to be confused with an 18 speed lol. Then there’s red for 13, blue for 15 and 8LL....

I’d rather have two sticks! ;)

Truck Shop

Shift tower is toast- common on S10's-the chevy version too.

I have a nice super 10 for 250.00 bucks if you need it.

John C.

Occupation
I'll know more today. A road trip might be in order.

John C.

Occupation
OK drum roll please.
The tag shows it as a RTL014610A. It is a super 10 as described earlier and by the shift pattern the owner says it has. He knows the box has a million miles on so wants and exchange with a warranty if available. Anyone know a supplier in the Seattle Tacoma area?

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
OK drum roll please.
The tag shows it as a RTL014610A. It is a super 10 as described earlier and by the shift pattern the owner says it has. He knows the box has a million miles on so wants and exchange with a warranty if available. Anyone know a supplier in the Seattle Tacoma area?
I get mine through Western Peterbilt or who ever they are today. Weller remans, and had good luck with their transmissions.

Truck Shop

Just for the info---thirteen speed is the exact same length as the super 10, so no drive line altering. If warranty is an issue your stuck with either genuine Eaton or a Weller.
All dealers carry both brands-two year on Weller and the Eaton. And anymore one is as good as the other. And Weller is owned by Jasper. Price $4,600 to $5,300 plus core.

John C.

Occupation
Thanks for the info. The owner is still trying to decide what he wants to do.