• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kenworth Thread for 848--849--850

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
I want to know where you found the 12" X 120" planks for the bridge decking? Must have been quite the mill. :)

Quite nice, good photography!

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
I want to know where you found the 12" X 120" planks for the bridge decking? Must have been quite the mill. :)

Quite nice, good photography!

Haha, yeah those were some huge trees! I was thinking they looked a bit like concrete slabs. It would be nice to have a bridge made with scale size timbers and planks but I was in a hurry to get both of them built and dropped into the road so that I could get hauling. Time is money you know!lol

Thanks for the compliment!

Reg

RCP57

Occupation
Seeing HDX and the other fellows hauling wood yesterday made me jealous. Now obviously I don't have my own full size off-highway truck so I pulled out mini 115 for some experimenting. I have spent a number of hours over the last couple of months working on a "scale sized" play area for my RC equipment. I have ran pretty much every model on it already but had yet to haul any logs. I wasn't sure how it would go as the truck, trailer and load exceed 120lbs but everything went pretty good. I just need to learn how to drive! I even have a berry for on top.lol Videos are coming.

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Looks fricken awesome....Altho I am currently up to my eyeballs building vintage Mustangs for people I will put my brain back into mode to figure out how to build a scale (authentic looking) aluminum I beam frame..The P-16 will happen...would have to do a HDX as well.....

Nice camera work..

RCP57

Occupation
Thanks twice Cory. I hope to have a complete set one day myself. If making the rear axles weren't such a pain I would already be on it!

[video=youtube_share;vBLDQ_PyfrI]http://youtu.be/vBLDQ_PyfrI[/video]

RCP57

Occupation
I short a few of these short videos...

[video=youtube_share;hAbzrzXLSR0]http://youtu.be/hAbzrzXLSR0[/video]

RCP57

Occupation
[video=youtube_share;Zou39Hi0ino]http://youtu.be/Zou39Hi0ino[/video]

I'll bore you guys with the others in the morning. Thanks for looking!

Reg

diamondtguy

Occupation
The head engineer(part owner at work)(I am currently on lay off) is a out of the box thinker like I am and enjoys my projects.I also enjoy building his creations...He will help me figure out the frame as Its a very important detail...
I have a water jet at work as well as a cnc boring mill that may come into play...

A few years ago we built a 6x6 hyd driven full suspension(independent) hunting buggy...He engineered it and I built it...Currently has a wood dash that really sucks but I will make a aluminum one for it..Main power is a V twin honda

How hard can a frame be (har har)

Nice videos001.jpg

RCP57

Occupation
The head engineer(part owner at work)(I am currently on lay off) is a out of the box thinker like I am and enjoys my projects.I also enjoy building his creations...He will help me figure out the frame as Its a very important detail...
I have a water jet at work as well as a cnc boring mill that may come into play...

A few years ago we built a 6x6 hyd driven full suspension(independent) hunting buggy...He engineered it and I built it...Currently has a wood dash that really sucks but I will make a aluminum one for it..Main power is a V twin honda

How hard can a frame be (har har)

Nice videosView attachment 135953

Hey that's a cool rig! Building the frame is the easy part of a scale truck build. Lots of flat pieces at right angles isn't a problem. Shaping a metal body and manually machining working axles from a block of aluminum is the challenge. Obviously it isn't impossible as I was able to do it and I'm no expert. You have access to tools and knowledge that I don't so it should be a breeze! I wish you would hurry up and get on with it though as I need another modeler to play with...

diamondtguy

Occupation
Good Morning.....my plan is to machine each frame rail into shape(water jet basic shape) out of solid aluminum or machine to correct size then split the ends and weld like the originals....

I'll have to dig up a I-beam frame drawing..

RCP57

Occupation
A drawing would be sweet! For me not having any CNC equipment, it would be much easier to make the frame out of plate and weld it together like I did on the KW. The machined rails you are planning would be awesome though and very strong. One day I hope to have a CNC mill and of course learn how to use it! For now I just crank handles and eyeball stuff.lol

diamondtguy

Occupation
I should be able to come up with a P-16 frame drawing...one pc I-beam rails would be nice.......I'll figure it out

RCP57

Occupation
Back on topic... Well not really but at least it's a pretend KW...

A bit of a mini update. I've never worked with copper sheet before but it seems to be fairly easy when compared to TIG welding thin aluminum. I am hoping to make the shutters function but we'll see how that goes when the time comes.
IMG_5379.jpg
IMG_5381.jpg
IMG_5386.jpg
IMG_5387.jpg
IMG_5388.jpg

64Pacific

Nice work! Out of curiosity, why did you decide to go with copper to build the finer details on the model? I am considering building a model ship in brass but maybe copper is easier an easier medium to model with...

I've also sent you a PM...

RCP57

Occupation
Thanks very much!

No real reason other than it was available hidden in a corner of my parents shop. I believe it was/is actually copper sheet used for making commercial fishing lures. I don't know if that makes it any different grade wise than other copper sheet? Brass is certainly the normal go to for most model builders that use metal. Most of the guys I see in the model truck world use styrene but I'm not a plastic kinda guy and using aluminum makes what I do a bit unique. Normally I use aluminum for everything but I knew I would really struggle trying to weld this stuff together so that's why I tried the copper. It really is much easier to work with for this type of thing and brass would be the same I'm sure.

I will PM tonight. Need to down lunch and get back in the shop. Lots of things on the go!lol

Reg

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
Can anyone help me out? Post 36 on page 3 has picture of KW with loaded pup
. I need a large picture of this and a description of where it is. My neighbor,Michael Dean is wanting to do a painting of this unit for the next truck show. Can anyone help? Thanks

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Can anyone help me out? Post 36 on page 3 has picture of KW with loaded pup
. I need a large picture of this and a description of where it is. My neighbor,Michael Dean is wanting to do a painting of this unit for the next truck show. Can anyone help? Thanks

You probably already know, Contract Logger now goes by the handle 'Rusty Grapple'. He is on Facebook with that same handle. You can also contact him through his website, Rustygrapple.com. If anyone can help, it would probably be him.