• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ken Shessman

Digger2

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Great forum!

I was a commercial diver/fisherman for about 15 years before waking up one day and deciding I needed a more secure and exciting job. For the first time in my life I am sure I made the right job decision.

I went to a 300 hour operators training school about 2-1/2 years ago, and have been loving my job ever since.

I worked the first 9 months at some lowpaying/labor intensive jobs, with very little seat time in the beginning, but I expected that, and actually enjoyed getting the "ground-level" experience that I needed to become a better operator. The instructors at the school advised against taking such jobs -- but the guys in the "real world" made a lot of sense. And now that it's done, I wouldn't have done it any differently.

Just as I expected though, as I worked hard at everything that I did, and as time went by, I just got better and better to the point that I am more valuable in a seat than anywhere else on the jobsite. What a great feeling that is!

The best part about it all (as I see it), is the challenge to learn more. I don't see that there is really any limits at all. I just love to try to learn from the old-timers and thankfully they seem to love to have someone to teach all their little tricks to.

What a great industry.

bigrid64

Occupation
Sales - Marketing Research
Glad to hear you are so happy...

What kind of things made you choose one operator school over another? Do they all offer 300 hrs of seat time or do some offer more or less? Do any of them have a reputation for being the best? I am currently evaluating which one to chose, but I don't want to sign up with one only to find out that it isn't respected in the industry. Any advice?

Digger2

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
operators school

The school I went to was called Associated Training Services in Lacanto, Florida. I mainly went there because it was in driving distance from my home. They claim to have 3 different classes; 150 hours/3 weeks, 300 hours/6 weeks, and there is an advanced class of about 500 hours I think. All of these classes were 1/2 classroom and 1/2 seat time. For example, the 300 hour class only gives you about 150 seat hours.

While I was in school I had gotten a call from another school in Jax Fl. It sounded like it might have been a better school. Cheaper, more organized, and better equipment.

Some advice -- if you do go to school, fight for every second of seat time you can get because that's what it is all about when it comes down to getting a job. And when looking for a school, I would make that my main deciding factor -- HOW MUCH SEAT TIME are they going to give you. The classroom stuff can actually all be done at home -- and it's, for the most part, pretty simple stuff.

Good luck

thewizftl

I also recently went to ATS in Lecanto. They have changed somewhat being that the seat time is much closer to 300 actual hours now and the class size is generally equal or less than the amount of equipment available. Also none of the equipment is older than a 2003 model. I would recommend them highly.

ATS is now taking students after 3 weeks to actual job sites that they are contracting for the local college so you get real on the job training. That training enabled me to get hired immediately after graduating. They are also accredited by the NCCER.

I also reseached the school in Jax and decided against it due to the fact that the class size was much larger and the recruitment process was like a boiler room.

Whatever school you pick just make sure it is the best for you. I can only give you my experience.

Have a great day!!

Digger2

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Thanks for the update on ATS. When went they were just opened at that location for a few months. AL and Bill are great guys too. When I went we had about twice the amount of students than we had iron for.

That on the job training sounds like a real plus too. Things sure are a whole lot different when you're new and you have a foreman watching your every move. Sounds like it would close that gap between the nice comfortable school setting into the real world.

So with all that in mind I would say that I would also recommend them.

T#5

Occupation
cermic tile setter
Glad to see you here digger2. Whats up twiz? I too attended the Lecanto site. Mr wiz summed it up well, he has that math part down.I know this because although we had our differences, we eventually jumped onto the same page.I think we both felt a need to be sure our fellow students comprehended the concept of grade and how to set-up and operate the laser.If ever given the opportunity to work side by side with twiz I would honor it.We all (fought) for seat time and that is crucial for such a short course,but to find a classmate with the same amount of drive as yourself is very beneficial.Even if it means one guy is on the ground more than the other.THANKS WIZ. The only other thing I can add for now is the fact that Associated is far more nationwide than Florida.I live in CA, went to school in FL, came back to CA and Mike at Associated in Las Vegas is helping me with placement.

Digger2

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Thanks for the welcome.

Listening to you guys talk about ATS it sure sounds lke things have improved up there a lot. When I was there, the way they started me out was to just sort of point at a machine, and I would go try to figure out how to get it started -- then try to figure out what to do with it. I think I was on the Cat loader for about an hour before I even knew that it was called a loader. But like I said I was one of their first students, and they were pretty unorganized at the time.

I think they also have a school in Wisconsin -- I know that's where Al is from, and I think they got started up that way somewhere.

T#5

Occupation
cermic tile setter
Hey digger2, sounds close to the way it is run now. Bill pays attention to what the equipment is doing. He drove out in his car one day to say "your done digging holes here". Guess he diddn't like seeing the boom on the 311 pointing straight down:beatsme .He made me get out,he jumped in and showed me how to dig "on grade".Then he put me back in.I think what im trying to say is, although they let you do what you want to become comfortable, Bill is just out of sight making sure you're safe. I'll talk back soon d2 gotta go throw some congrats to twiz.

DennisJonesCon.

Occupation
All construction
I spent 15 years in Homosassa and put my boys through Lecanto school system. I started my construction business there and never heard of an operators school. I moved to TN in '96. Did this school open since then? I have purchased three dozers, a track hoe, backhoe, crawler loader, and two dump trucks and had to learn to operate all the hard way. These hills here are relentless. They'll teach you quick.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
It is great now that they have schools to teach you the basics of the equipment. Next class I would recomend is to find the piece of equipment you want to run and buy one. There is nothing better then learning on your own equipment. For one you will learn that if you don't take care of it it will cost you a lot of money. It can also make a living for you and your family.

Digger2

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Hey Dennis,

The school opened sometime in 2002 I think. They are located right next to the college on Lecanto Highway -- between the college and what I thik is a cement company. They just have a modular mobile office there, and they use classrooms at the college. Seems like a nice area. I've lived in New Port Richey for the last 15 years. I worked out of Crystal River on and off in the fishing buisness.

DennisJonesCon.

Occupation
All construction
I wished I had this equipment when I lived there. This dirt up here is very tough compared to the sand down there. All the ground down there is pretty flat. The big dozers I need here are probably overkill for down there. I'm just glad I don't have to drive Rt. 19.

Digger2

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I know what you mean Dennis. About driving US19, and about Florida's dirt.

US19 gets worse ad worse every year. Property values are on a steady rise, and they're still flocking to this area. I moved here just 15 years ago, and I've seen big changes. I'm ready to hang it up. Everything I was trying to get away from by moving from the NYC area has followed me.

I did a job with my company in North Carolina for a few months, and that made up my mind. I liked working with real dirt and clay. It was a change from the 3 or 4 different grades of sand that they call dirt down here. It was nice to be around some decent people too. They're getting pretty New York nasty around here, and by leaving this area for awhile it made me realize that it is starting to rub off on me. I had to adjst my attitude to get along with the decent folk up in N.C.

Sounds like you made a good move.

Best wishes for the holidays,