• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

keeping ROOTS out of screens

xr4ticlone

Occupation
Trusted Adviser to the Construction World
We're looking to take over a small material pit and much of the remaining area has tree cover. I know from the owner that the roots can damage and screw up screens...I've googled but is there anything to put on a screen plant that will allow us to eliminate roots?

Jonas302

Hand labor to keep the grizzly clear and work off any smaller ones that get though to the screen maybe a grizzly with sqaure holes would work well instead of just bars that the long skinny roots will fall though

cdm123

Hand labor to keep the grizzly clear and work off any smaller ones that get though to the screen maybe a grizzly with sqaure holes would work well instead of just bars that the long skinny roots will fall though

This, I had a kid working for me last summer one of his main job's, pull roots out of the pile after every bucket. Also for small roots clogging the screen I made a 12' long tiger torch so I didn't have to climb a ladder to burn off the small stuff.

Last edited:

xr4ticlone

Occupation
A buddy told me of a Powerscreen that had some type of device on it....I drove across town to see it yesterday only to find it was no longer in the lot where he said it had sat for a year or more. arrrggghhh. I've googled that as well and not having much luck.

I was thinking about welding rebar across the grizzly bars.

I've been around dirt equipment for 10+ years but never got into screening or crushing past basic understanding. Finding out now that it's not something with much data online. Current owner is willing to 'train us' but I'd like to learn as much as possible because I can see from a novice standpoint there are a lot of issues...too small of equipment...poor help...inefficiencies.

But I don't want to send a fortune on fixing things that roots have destroyed.

xr4ticlone

Occupation
Labor isn't much of an option where the pit is located...that's one of the issues current owner has with this deal. I've got a partner and he's got a line to some good help but NOT for pulling roots.

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
Would it be possible to strip off the top 2-3 ft and sell as fill material there by eliminating a lot of the roots?
Mike