• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

K6 or 7?

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Tough call, I'm leaning towards a 7. Lack of Chrome on the grille leads me to believe that was built during WW2 and possibly a department of defense truck by the gray paint. I've seen 2 in eastern Washington that came from DOE Hanford works, Both in gray paint with no chrome trim. Both were in very good condition.

motoOzarks

Occupation
self employed
It has little chrome trim left. I found a couple on the ground as the cows like to rub themselves.
My Papa used this to develop property as Table Rock Lake was being damned.
It sat long enough down there that the neighbors complained and he put 6 new tires on it, some ignition wires, and a license plate and Dad drove it to the farm. I was young enough to stand next to him in the seat but rust flew into Dads eye and I got booted out.
The tires are now rotten, and the varmits have ate the wires but it is not stuck.
I'm going to put new ignition wires and strap a fuel tank to it and see if I can pull start it.
20170201_170607 (1).jpg

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
As RZucker said it's a tough call. If you can come up with a serial # you can go to the wisconsin historical society website and find out what it is.

Truck Shop

K series until 1946, 1947 up KB series- could also be a K or KB-8. But like RZ says ex-government rig. Corn Queen and Federal were a main supplier of Government equipment.
Also REO played a big role back then in government trucks.

Truck Shop

Truck Shop

Did either of the Hanford trucks glow at night?

Good question! lol. But little know fact they buried or laid tracks into a huge hole and buried a switch locomotive and two rail cars contaminated from a leak in the
early 50's. The rail cars were ones my dad was assigned to letter with phony logo before leaving with some weapons grade material. That was one of his jobs
lettering new box cars with phony logo and numbers.

Truck Shop

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
K series until 1946, 1947 up KB series- could also be a K or KB-8. But like RZ says ex-government rig. Corn Queen and Federal were a main supplier of Government equipment.
Also REO played a big role back then in government trucks.

Truck Shop
I have also seen a very nice "Duplex" brand truck that came out of Hanford. It was used as a Dry loader for a cropdusting outfit east of Pasco Wa. Had a big I-beam hoist that held the loading bag. Looked to be early 40's with full airbrakes. I wonder where that one is now.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Good question! lol. But little know fact they buried or laid tracks into a huge hole and buried a switch locomotive and two rail cars contaminated from a leak in the
early 50's. The rail cars were ones my dad was assigned to letter with phony logo before leaving with some weapons grade material. That was one of his jobs
lettering new box cars with phony logo and numbers.

Truck Shop
In the late 70's I worked out there burying low level stuff with a dozer. and digging more holes with a scraper. We got the detector badges, and got scanned every day. So far I'm still normal. My machinist brother on the other hand... worked out there in the real hot stuff at various plants, some days he was allowed to work 15 minutes to collect a days pay. Probably all I should be saying.